Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Indigo Dyed Judo Gi??

Dose anyone know a supplier who sells Indigo dyed (dark purple) Judo gis?

I have a blue judo gi, I like it, but it is nothing like my indigo dyed Kendogi. I want the pants as well as the top. I guess mostly I'm looking for indigo dyed Judo pants. But a whole gi would be great.

Anyone know of a supplier?
Thanks

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Indigo Dyed Judo Gi??

Sounds messy! Sorry I can't be of any help.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Dose anyone know a supplier who sells Indigo dyed (dark purple) Judo gis?

I have a blue judo gi, I like it, but it is nothing like my indigo dyed Kendogi. I want the pants as well as the top. I guess mostly I'm looking for indigo dyed Judo pants. But a whole gi would be great.

Anyone know of a supplier?
Thanks
Thats funny you ask, I remember at a seminar a couple years back our Sensei came in with a purple gi top... I thought it was interesting as I had never seen one before. I figured it had something to do with one of the other arts he does... Judo, swords, etc.
[Sorry, have no idea where he got it, and I wont see him until our summer seminar.]

If I find out anything before then though I will post.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
ChrisHein

United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Sounds messy! Sorry I can't be of any help.
I would prefer a real hand dyed indigo, instead of a quickly machine dyed then packed with indigo powder version. It would not be so messy, and last much longer (color wise).

If I can't find one, I'll try my hand at dying one myself. Indigo gis are so beautiful it's hard to believe someone isn't selling one. I did just get a hot tip that I'll look into though, thanks Janet!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
bob_stra
Australia

Hi Chris

I've seen plenty of Indigo gi's before; actually, my sambo kurtka is pretty much indigo, as is my comp. judo g (or it was, once). It's quite a snazzy look, and I sometimes wondered about getting 'The Fighting Smurf' emblazoned tastefully across the back

I'm aware of a several suppliers here in Oz (hopefully they ship o/s). Do any of the following meet your specifications?

http://www.zen-sankei.com.au/onlines...afd4eef5f3539d

http://www.jandejong.com.au/products.htm

Both def. have indigo gi's (youtube 'jandejong' to see the actual colour, for example)

http://www.prosafetywear.com/ninja.html
(not so sure about these guys...but the merchandize is cheap. Caveat Emptor)

Closer to you, perhaps something like this?

Which is 'indigo dye' according to sources. US Sambo sells great kurtka of this (and slightly darker) colour. Contact Stephen Koepfer at US Sambo Association

HTH

Addendum: try looking at the popular BJJ gi manufactors, like Koral, Gameness, Howard Combat Kimono etc. They have Gi's in every colour of the rainbow. Budovideos - IIRC - sells lots of diff. types of these gi's - and they sell pants separately (again, IIRC)

EDIT 2:

Last edited by bob_stra : 03-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
ChrisHein

United_States

Hard to tell from the pictures. The bottom pair of pants do look indigo, but the top judogi doesn't look indigo.

I have a couple of blue judogi's, they look nothing like my kendogi that is indigo dyed. The first website listed had kendogi that were indigo dyed, but I didn't see a judogi that was indigo. The second site jandejong, I couldn't see a catalogue with their products pictured. I also can't find a website selling "IIRC" gi's.

I've rolled in several Bjj schools and tournaments and have never seen an indigo dyed gi, doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've yet to see one. The problem I have with most BJJ gi's is they tend to have patches and other marketing things on them. I'm looking for simple.

Thanks for the tips though, they may yet prove useful.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
bob_stra
Australia

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Hard to tell from the pictures. The bottom pair of pants do look indigo, but the top judogi doesn't look indigo.
Likely a bad product shot. The Kurtka (not gi) I have from US Sambo association is virtually the same shade as the pants I cited

Quote:
I couldn't see a catalogue with their products pictured. I also can't find a website selling "IIRC" gi's.
1/
http://www.jandejong.com.au/products.htm

2/
How they look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlfF33R333E
(new ones are of course darker. If there's someone form JDJ here, perhaps they can provide a picture, or email them directly)

3/
IIRC = If I recall correctly

Quote:
I've rolled in several Bjj schools and tournaments and have never seen an indigo dyed gi, doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've yet to see one.
Keiko Raça should make purple, pink, dark blue and indigo gi's, IIRC (if I recall correctly)

The Sambo kurtka I have is a dark navy blue; not quite indigo but close. Kurtka however are a canvas material quite unlike gi (I actually prefer it, truth be told; kind of like overalls, material wise)

YMMV

EDIT: Coincidentally, the reason you can't - and likely won't - find indigo judogi is because such a colouration is a faux pas in judo circles. Technically, even bleached white is a no no (goes against the principle of wabi sabi). Blue was only ever adopted for ease of judging - and it's still controversial. Ie: you'd get yourself in some hot water wearing a blue gi in some place. The best you can hope for is a very dark / navy blue (AussiePower is the brand of my dark blue).

If you ever see an indigo gi, it won't be a judo cut one - they simply don't make them (judoka don't want them / can't use them, by and large).

BJJ or Sambo are you're best prospects, outside of the websites suggested above

Last edited by bob_stra : 03-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
ChrisHein

United_States

Thanks. The taboo of an indigo judogi makes sense. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am going to have to dye my own.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches