Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2000, 02:02 PM   #1
Erik
I'm curious what you all are reading? I guess I'm really asking because I can't find anything interesting in the book store.
Old 08-09-2000, 02:07 PM   #2
aikido4life
Dojo: Onshikan Dojo
Thumbs down

I just finished "Complete Aikido". The first half of the book mostly told the life story of Suenaka Sensei, and he has led a most interesting life. I really enjoyed it.

Gary
Old 08-09-2000, 02:09 PM   #3
Nick
United_States
aikido4life-

are you a wadokai student? I got that as soon as I could, not only as a good book but also to help with my training. If so, what dojo do u train at?

As for me, I'm digging into "Moving Toward Stillness" by Dave Lowry and "Gaijin" by Clavell.

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 08-09-2000, 02:15 PM   #4
aikido4life
Dojo: Onshikan Dojo
-Nick-

No, I'm not. If I wasn't so happy where I am I would really consider it though. I gained so much respect for Suenaka Sensei.

Gary
Old 08-09-2000, 03:00 PM   #5
akiy

I just got back from Summer Camp so I'm not reading anything actively. I did just finish two John Irving books ("A Widow for One Year" and "The Cider House Rules") and "Memoir of a Geisha."

As for budo books, I just picked up a book called "Effortless Combat Throws" which was recommended to me by a friend. Looks pretty interesting.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-09-2000, 05:35 PM   #6
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Smile

This week I'm mostly reading Aikido and the Harmony of Nature, by Saotome..
Top book, but very deep..
Excellent reading

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 08-09-2000, 06:18 PM   #7
Nick
United_States
Gary-

I agree... I originally only got it as a training manual but I got very involved in it- finished it in like 2 days, because it's summer and I got nothin better to do .

So far, unless this book has a horrible end, I'd recommend anything by Lowry, assuming his other books are as good.

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 08-09-2000, 06:37 PM   #8
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
not reading any aikido concerned books, don't have any. Anyone know of any books dedicated to beginners.....say 5th and 4th kyu?
Old 08-09-2000, 06:48 PM   #9
Nick
United_States
heh- to have a beginner's manual to Aikido would be an Aikido concerned book wouldn't it?

Unless of course u mean beginner of any style- in which case I recommend Living the Martial Way by Forrest Morgan... doesn't address any one budo, but is still an excellent read. Kodo by Kensho Furuya is also highly recommended.

Cheers,

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
Old 08-09-2000, 07:19 PM   #10
Erik
Quote:
shadow wrote:
not reading any aikido concerned books, don't have any. Anyone know of any books dedicated to beginners.....say 5th and 4th kyu?
I'm open to any books as my immediate reading future is a book on web design (the most interesting) and 2 books on asp (groan!).

I don't know of too many books specifically designed for that kyu level. If I remember correctly a book titled "The Aikido Student Handbook" may fit the bill.

The first Aikido book I read was Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere by Westbrook and Ratti. I've also enjoyed Aikido by Kisshomaru Ueshiba and "The Principles of Aikido" by Mitsugi Saotome.

A couple of other books that I've also enjoyed that maybe don't hit the main stream as much are "It's a Lot Like Dancing: An Aikido Journal" which is essentially a collection of short stories involving Terry Dobson and his book "Giving in to Get Your Way". I got to know Terry (through a friend) a very teeny tiny bit and he was to say the least, "an interesting fellow".
Old 08-09-2000, 07:36 PM   #11
Tony Peters
Dojo: Mt Tantalus, Kaimuki Judo club
Books books and more books

Well I just finished "East of the mountains" By Gutterson (the guy who wrote "Snow falling on Cedars") and started Hemingway's "Moveable feast" Oh, Bodo related "Sword of no sword" by John Stevens, Gordon & Drager's "the Japanese sword" "Bunken Iai" by Mitani & Mitani (wish I had a japanese to english OCR translation for this) Oh and indirectly related to Budo, "Combat Conditioning" by Matt Furey. This is by far the best "exercise " book I have ever seen or owned. All body weight exercises (read Calisthetics) that have drasticly improved my Martial arts practice. I've also been up to my Ears in Photography books but that's work related.

Peace
Tony
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
That's what makes my Thumper go
Old 08-10-2000, 02:10 AM   #12
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
I have read Dynamic Aikido by Gozo Shioda, which helped me a lot with my basics (I am in a Yoshinkan Dojo!!), and whilst on Holiday I read Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger. A Very good read in an autobiographical way!!!

A friend (also an Aikidoka) wants to know if anyone can recommend a book that covers the more spiritual side of the art!!

Any ideas??

Pete

Old 08-10-2000, 08:14 AM   #13
nomad
Spirtual Side of Aikido

Quote:
Pete wrote:
I have read Dynamic Aikido by Gozo Shioda, which helped me a lot with my basics (I am in a Yoshinkan Dojo!!), and whilst on Holiday I read Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger. A Very good read in an autobiographical way!!!

A friend (also an Aikidoka) wants to know if anyone can recommend a book that covers the more spiritual side of the art!!

Any ideas??
1 of: The Spiritual Foundations of Aikido [Paperback]
By: William Gleason

Old 08-10-2000, 08:15 AM   #14
nomad
Cool Pete Spirtual Side of Aikido

1 of: The Spiritual Foundations of Aikido [Paperback]
By: William Gleason
sorry about that im still getting used to using this :-)
Old 08-10-2000, 09:35 AM   #15
Nick
United_States
So far, I've also enjoyed The Spirit of Aikido by Kisshoumaru Ueshiba, former Doshu, though I'm only about 20 pages into it.

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
Old 08-10-2000, 09:42 AM   #16
Erik
Quote:
Pete wrote:I have read Dynamic Aikido by Gozo Shioda, which helped me a lot with my basics (I am in a Yoshinkan Dojo!!), and whilst on Holiday I read Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger. A Very good read in an autobiographical way!!!

Any ideas??
The Magic of Conflict by Tom Crum.
Old 08-10-2000, 02:09 PM   #17
Tony Peters
Dojo: Mt Tantalus, Kaimuki Judo club
spirtual books

Quote:
Pete wrote:

Any ideas??
Gleason's book is good, also Satome's "Aikido and the Haromony of nature" You should also check out Wendy Palmer's "Intuitive Body : Aikido As a Clairsentient Practice" For a Left Coast vieaw of Aikido its suprisingly good.

Peace
Tony
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
That's what makes my Thumper go
Old 08-10-2000, 03:40 PM   #18
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Quote:
Nick wrote:
So far, unless this book has a horrible end, I'd recommend anything by Lowry, assuming his other books are as good.
-Nick
Nick,
Moving Toward Stillness remains one of the best Budo-related books I've ever read, as is Sword and Brush also by Mr Lowry. I'm biased, admittedly, as reading Moving Toward Stillness, at the right time for me, brought me back to Aikido...
As for Persimmon Wind, also by Mr Lowry, an excellent book, but a shame about the editing/spelling..
Don't suppose any UK Aikidoka have a copy of Autumn Lightning they'd consider lending out?
Tried a number of places for copies - out of print now..

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 08-11-2000, 05:41 AM   #19
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
Thumbs down

Quote:
shadow wrote:
I'm currently reading "Aikido and the Dynimc Sphere" by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook and I'd recommend it to beginners, it has a good balance between techniques and principles. I also got a lot out of Saotome Sensei's "The Principles of Aikido" when I started my training.

Quote:
Pete wrote:

Any ideas??
I'd recommend John Stevens' "The Secrets of Aikido", very deep.

-Adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 08-11-2000, 08:21 AM   #20
BC
Ki Symbol

I'm just about to (finally) start reading Shogun. Like Jun, I just got back from Summer Camp and I feel more like reading something lighter like historical fiction right now. For a spiritual book on the martial arts, I would recommend "The Zen Way to the Martial Arts" by Taisen Deshimaru.

By the way, has anyone read "Beyond the Known" by Tri Thong Dang, and if so would you recommend it?

[Edited by BC on August 11, 2000 at 08:27am]
Old 08-11-2000, 08:45 AM   #21
Nick
United_States
Can't recommend that one book (never read it) but go for it on Shogun- that book rules, and is actually based off of a real story...

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
Old 08-11-2000, 10:01 AM   #22
Horselord
Ai symbol Good book to check out....

A good book dealing with the spiritual side of Aikido is "The Essence Of Aikido, Spiritual Teachings of Morihei Ueshiba". It is compiled by John Stevens. Some of the subjects covered in the book are, Songs of the Path, Moreihei's Calligraphic Legacy, and Misogi. A great read. Check it out!

Paul
Old 08-11-2000, 05:54 PM   #23
Nick
United_States
Quote:
DJM wrote:

Don't suppose any UK Aikidoka have a copy of Autumn Lightning they'd consider lending out?
Tried a number of places for copies - out of print now..

Peace,
David
I got my copy from Amazon.com- dunno if they'd deliver to the UK.

I have yet to read it, gotta finish all the other books I got for my birthday.

Kanpai and good luck,

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
Old 08-12-2000, 09:27 AM   #24
Ronald
Dojo: Aoinagi Karate
for any martial artist

I would recommend "Toward the Known" by Tri Thong Dang. It is an easily read book in parable form, about a young fellow who starts out as a rude, ignorant fool and through a series of lessons and life experiences, guided by his teacher, becomes a complete martial artist.

Also, take a shot at "The Art of Living" by Epictetus. It is a first century greek work -- Sharon Lebell's translation is very plain english, and reading it, you will find a good example of a western philosophy which is very close to what you may identify as "eastern philosophy".

Cheers,
Ron
Old 08-13-2000, 06:28 AM   #25
Nick
United_States
hmm... I just started "The Life we are given" By George Leonard- judging by the first few chapters, I think it's quite good.

I also started Autumn Lightning, since I have too much extra time when I only read two chapters a day of "Moving Towards Stillness."

-Nick

---
Nick Porter

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!