Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #26
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy (here on AikiWeb)?

Sometimes having a "beginners mind", and the openness and humility that belongs to it seems to require a lot of experience. After a lot of practise we tend to see more clearly what we don't know, and, even more importantly what we can't do. After 18 years of Aikido, ( and a total of 30 in Budo) I suppose that sometimes I wish people would just 'shut up and train", but then we wouldn't have internet forums anymore. That would be a loss, in the main par,t given the high calibre of information that is circulating for those who can sort the wheat from the chaff. We will all look back on the stupid things we have done and said, and if you never do, you either haven't done much, or you need to polish your glasses.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
I wonder how many people have sat and written long responses to Aikiweb threads, then paused with the cursor hanging just above the "submit reply" button, before finally closing the window without sharing their thoughts for fear of either other's egos or their own. .
I've done that may times. Figured I'd either be bombarded with contrary opinions with the disassociated "IMHO", whimsical insults disguised with "LOL" at the end, or downright argumentative posturing prefaced with "just my 2 cents".

It's a shame that you can expect, in most posting:
1. Someone to raise the question of "Why are you asking that?", instead of just answering the question.
2. Someone telling everyone how uninterested they are in the topic, even when her post is the 50th in line.
3. Someone with experience who can answer the question chastising the OP for not either already knowing the answer, or daring to expect someone to just give them the answer it.
4. Someone piping in with some poem or "unrelated words of unwisdom" making themselves sound important, but doing nothing to answer the question. Is there a "random babble" search on Google for this purpose?

I sure hope these encourage newbies to continue to post, and not be as second guessing as those of us who know what to expect. This art has an arrogant side to it, who shouldn't rear it's ugly head on such a nice place as this.

Just my 2 cents, IMHO, and LOL

"In the end there can be only one"

www.AikidoFellowship.com
Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Jeffrey Tanaka
Dojo: Seibukan Aikido Dojo
United_States

For me, the difference between a forum and reading a column is a forum is alive, everchanging, nonstatic. It's a dialogue. Whether good or bad, I'm forming relationships. Sometimes those relationships may be adversarial, but most times they're a delight. Me and You. Through the forum I feel I know a little glimpse of who you are despite great distances. If I were to just do an Aikiweb search, and not post for fear of the topic already having been covered, would I not miss out on the beauty of the forum?

Jeff
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #29
Eugene Leslie

Canada

I learn alot regardless...................................................................... ................................................................................ ................................................................................ ...................

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Basically what I do before I hit send is look at it and say to myself "10 years from now....when I read back through the archives....I am going to cringe at what I wrote."

If not then I usually hit SEND.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #31
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

A monk living near a Japanese village was told by the Head man that a young lass had accused him of fathering her child.
"Is that so?", replied the monk.

When the baby was born, the same Head man brought the infant for the monk to care for. After, it was his, wasn't it?
"Is that so?" replied the monk.

A contingent from the village came abjectedly to retrieve the infant from the monk, apologizing for their error, explaining that the actual father was found, and that he and the young woman would marry and take rightful care of the child.
"Is that so?" replied the monk.

Someone told me that people who do Aikido don't always agree, and that sometimes, their behavior mismatches their philosophy.

"Is that so?" said I.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Someone told me that people who do Aikido don't always agree, and that sometimes, their behavior mismatches their philosophy.

"Is that so?" said I.
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #33
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post

"Is that so?" said I.
Priceless!

Best,
Ron
Osu!

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #34
Shannon Frye
United_States

*sighs*

www.AikidoFellowship.com
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #35
RED
United_States
Re: Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy?

Quote:
It could be worse...

I <3 Carl Thompson.
That is all.

MM
Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #36
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Sometimes when a newbie asks a question or posts an observation concerning a topic which has 40,000 views and 500+ posts, you wish they had simply done a search and taken the time to read what has already been written.
I know I've heard this before, but is seems kind of odd to me, or at least different from what I think of an internet forum as being.

I think of forums as active places where people come to participate and discuss things, not to be efficient... I could listen to recordings of people having conversations about a subject that interested me, but it probably wouldn't take away my urge to get in a conversation. Archives are always valuable and I hate when I see them lost on forums, or when they're hard to use, etc... but it seems some people join conversations they know they won't be interested in just to reprimand people for discussing something that's not new to them... Is there a big problem with bandwidth or something? Why not just not get involved in that particular conversation? Or at least respond helpfully mentioning that there are archived threads that might interest the person as well?

I've been on other forums and this is the first where I've encountered this idea of it being bad or wasteful to have conversations that aren't new enough... even when they are volunteer forums when people are basically donating valuable time to help people. Sometimes someone will refer to someone to a FAQ or a previous topic, but never in any kind of negative way. And certainly not when they're more informal discussion places. It seems it's just expected that many people will have the same questions and that popular topics will come up frequently. I've never encountered that being seen as a 'problem' before, let alone something to reprimand someone for.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
I think of forums as active places where people come to participate and discuss things, not to be efficient... I could listen to recordings of people having conversations about a subject that interested me, but it probably wouldn't take away my urge to get in a conversation. Archives are always valuable and I hate when I see them lost on forums, or when they're hard to use, etc... but it seems some people join conversations they know they won't be interested in just to reprimand people for discussing something that's not new to them... Is there a big problem with bandwidth or something? Why not just not get involved in that particular conversation? Or at least respond helpfully mentioning that there are archived threads that might interest the person as well?
Not bandwidth as such, but there is a valid concern, in general, with signal-to-noise ratio. It's misleading to state categorically that one can simply "just not get involved in that particular conversation": or that one can simply ignore the noise -- of course, one can, but when there's a lot of noise, it becomes very hard to pick out the signal. On some websites this takes the form of frequent and endless crap posts that flood the front page: if there's a worthwhile discussion going on, sure, someone can find it...if they know to go looking for it. But if one person starts a discussion thread on a serious topic, and two dozen other threads are started in the next fifteen minutes, all on crap topics, the original thread gets pushed off the front page, other site members who would have something worthwhile to say are much less likely to see it.

In aikiweb, we don't have the problem of a spate of crap threads pushing the worthwhile stuff off the front page in a very short period of time...but we do sometimes have a problem with the "noise" of many crap comments overcoming the "signal" of the worthwhile comments within that thread. Same issue, it becomes much harder to ferret out the decent stuff in amongst the chaff, so people who would have something worthwhile are less likely to contribute, and the thread continues to go downhill.

As for "it seems some people join conversations they know they won't be interested in just to reprimand people for discussing something that's not new to them" -- I'm going to call strawman on you. I would like you to find me five examples of threads where such a "reprimand" was issued in the past month. I doubt that you'll be able to, except perhaps by an extreme degree of stretching.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #38
Shannon Frye
United_States

Wow - noise - signal - crap comments - crap threads - worthwhile stuff -

seems awfully subjective to me.

Oh, I apologize - Im not the straw man, but I couldn't resist......Here's someone commenting on the comments, not addressing the original question, making assumption for the OP's interests, and making it clear that it didn't interest him/her...
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM #33
(name withheld)
Re: Checking out a new dojo
I imagine that the OP is finding this pro-federation/anti-federation squabble very informative. Just what information is being conveyed, however, is something we probably don't want to dwell on.

www.AikidoFellowship.com
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #39
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
Wow - noise - signal - crap comments - crap threads - worthwhile stuff -

seems awfully subjective to me.
Some of them are subjective; others are simply not defined in absolute terms. There's an important difference. Failure to understand the difference is a large reason why this debate persists.

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
Oh, I apologize - Im not the straw man, but I couldn't resist......Here's someone commenting on the comments, not addressing the original question, making assumption for the OP's interests, and making it clear that it didn't interest him/her...
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM #33
(name withheld)
Re: Checking out a new dojo
I imagine that the OP is finding this pro-federation/anti-federation squabble very informative. Just what information is being conveyed, however, is something we probably don't want to dwell on.

Do you see my point, Shannon? People are talking like the old-timers wade into every thread, "reprimanding" newbies left and right, and I just do not think that's happening to any significant degree. I think that where it is happening, it is a few isolated incidents, and frankly, many of those are made out to be much more than the4y are. The complain is being made in sweeping, inaccurate and misleading terms. It reminds me of the current City of Boston "snow emergency" -- the whole city shut down all day, and there is perhaps one inch of snow on the ground. Look at this whole thread: "Are we keeping to the aikido philosphy". What's the expectation -- that no one on aikiweb shall ever show a human emotion of frustration? That no one shall ever express frustration and have it be wildly misinterpreted as a vicious personal attack? That if such a thing happens, we need to fire up some kind of witch hunt in pursuit of these alleged "reprimanders"? All I'm saying is, if there's such a big problem, show me the reprimands. It shouldn't be hard to do -- if it is such a big problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #40
Johann Baptista
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
Brazil
Re: Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy?

Quote:
It could be worse...

I definitely agree with Carl Thompson. Aikiweb is a remarkably well behaved forum compared to so many forums out there. I used to participate in another forum; I left because one of the moderators was a self-important and arrogant poster. He hated Aikido, used profanity very often, and was a general annoyance to anyone who held a different opinion.

He once said of O'Sensei; "He was just a guy with some skill who tried to pimp his a** on some stupid mysticism. He was part of one of those freaky and stupid Japanese cults called Omoto Kyo."

I mean, a moderator of a forum behaving like this is inexcusable. In almost no other forum I have ever been on have I been able to respectfully disagree with people. In this forum I have been able to present cases and receive responses, and I am pleased with the politeness involved.

Good job Jun! Keep it up!

- Johann
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #41
Mark Nicoll

Dojo: Congleton Aikido Club, Congleton, UK
United Kingdom

Wow!

So many different opinions of one subject.

The internet will always be a place where people go not just for knowledge, or media ratification, but, they come also to rant and rave, for no other reason than that they can. Would they be so rude or nasty in real life? Probably not, because they would fear reprimand from their peers or worse, physical violence. The internet allows you to have an alter ego, where you can be the arrogant, rude urchin. Which is good, because without bad there cannot be good and visa-versa, plus it generates good healthy conversations such as this one.

I do not condone bad behaviour, but it will always be a part of life and I accept that.

Enough said. Nearly time for Aikido.

Wow 3 posts in how many years? LOL

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!