Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy (here on AikiWeb)?

I thought I would start this new thread even though another thread has sparked this thought (My own thoughts on Aikido - Phil Ingram).

Jun - if this is in the wrong place, I apologise in advance. I'm sure you will move it to the appropriate place.

When I first joined Aikiweb, I had been studying aikido for about half a year. I found this site to be the best place to ask questions and seek advise.

After being away from the site for a few years I come back to find it to be quite a different beast. It seems that newbies are treated very harshly now. The below quote sums it up for me.

Cherie Cornmesser wrote:
Quote:
This forum is often hard on new people. It was rough on me too at first. But lately I've been noticing a lot more frequently lower kyu's getting beat on for trying to share their thoughts.
Now I stepped back from the threads I had been reading and had a think about this (as I do) and I want to throw some ideas out to people. Don't worry, I'm a High School teacher so I'm used to harsh critique. Your comments will not be taken personally.

So what's the deal?

Is it due to a slow change of the types of people tapping away at the keyboard? Obviously this must be true to some degree.

Is it the nature of today's aikidoka that we rain down on the beginners? When I started out on the mat I can remember being called an "orange belt shihan" and told to shut up and train. That's fine, that's the mat. We ARE on a forum here. People come here to express opinions and see what's what in aikido. It is a public place and although people are being polite, the undercurrents are often bordering on outright arrogance and rudeness. Aikidoka have been called arrogant by other martial arts groups and this sort of thing seems to reinforce that.

The philosophy of aikido can be about conflict resolution, starting at the verbal level. I'm not seeing a lot of this here these days. I see a lot of escalation.

Many of the threads fall back to the physical aspects of the aikido training. I hear the term "aiki-bunnies" being thrown around (excuse the pun) and that aikido is not in good shape because people are training with enough martial intent etc, etc. Ok, that may or may not be the case. I live in NZ and I'm not up with the play overseas. Things look pretty tight here in that regard but so what? If a beginner is truely enjoying this art for the first time, let them enjoy it.

Many posters seem intent on picking a part other posts, on things that seem trivial or miss the point.

I just reread my own post and I think it's one of the longest posts to date for me. This stuff really bothers me.
Walk the talk people! Where the hell is the unconditional love and understanding the Founder spoke of.

Rant off.

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany
Re: Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy?

Hi Dean,

I usually just lurk here. I found it interesting you should post this, I myself have recently added a lot of people to my ignore list as "opinionated newbies" and noted I had rarely done so before, so I was starting to ask myself what had changed,and whether it was them or me.

In some sense, I think you are right. On the other hand, I have rarely seen attacks as personal as the ones on Mr. Ghbeish recently, by people who apeared to be newbies to me. He handled it with great equanimity.

I guess it comes down how one frames their opinions. To me, some opinions seemed to be very confidently framed with not such a lot (experience, knowledge) to back them up by recent newcomers. I guess the question is, would people be as confident as they are here in aikido class, and if not, why should it be different here? I have no real answer, but agree with your initial observation.

Then I suppose some of what you notice is just the internet. There are people on every forum who just love to take things apart. Also, the heated discussions about "aiki" seems to have ended, maybe the aggression now needs another outlet? Dont know about some of your other points.

Have a nice day!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
piyush.kumar
Dojo: UTA aikido club
United_States

i was actually smiling by the time i came to the end of the post. It reminded me a lot of me when i was in shihan mode too with just a yellow belt. But i have grown up as i have gone along. And the only thing that made me smile was your cynicism . Should you not expect better from aikidoka's now that they have heard you and understood the point you are trying to make. Think that is the thing about aikidoka's, we are receptive and open to new information. Are we not? Is that not why we are practicing the art of peace in the age of MMA??
Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Carl Thompson

Japan

It could be worse...

Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

I started participating in net-based aikido groups early in my training. I never considered myself knowledgable to talk about technical stuff, but as a middle aged person did feel knowledgable to talk about other stuff that would come up AND also many times newbies make interesting contributions to forums - they have a different perspective or ask questions we forget to. I'd hate to think that folks are feeling unwelcome here, but yeah there is some rudeness that goes on (by people of all levels of experience) and sometimes I feel like the aikiweb great-aunt, pinching peoples cheeks and reminding them to play nice :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Michael Fitzgerald
Dojo: AikiKai
Australia
Tongue Re: Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy?

It's true people can learn by experience (theirs and others'). Some people learn a lot from a little, others learn little from an awful lot.

Experience is no garuantee of wisdom. Nor does inexperience preclude insight.

I beleive 'newbies' should gratefully learn from those with more experience, but what a sad state of affairs for some of those who have accumulated so much, to have lost the ability to learn from those who- while new commers to the specialty of the veteran- may just have a thing or two the open mind can learn from them.

oooh I'm such a romantic *LOL*.

putting it another way- it is easy to get carried away with one's self after a long time on the one subject. (I'm thinking mad scientist type vibe here) I'm sure we all feel like we could help the mad scientist at times, but he sure knows how to science up a storm!

It occurs to me that above and beyond being talented at this or that martial art, we are all human, very much human. each of us is due the exact same 'mat time' in life, and as beauty is in hte eye of the beholder, so too the value of an expressed opinion to a large extent, is in the ear (or eye) of the person listening/ reading the forum.

wow, am I a pain in the 4r53 or what XP. beleive me I mean well.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Michael Fitzgerald wrote: View Post
I beleive 'newbies' should gratefully learn from those with more experience, but what a sad state of affairs for some of those who have accumulated so much, to have lost the ability to learn from those who- while new commers to the specialty of the veteran- may just have a thing or two the open mind can learn from them.
This is true as a matter of simple fact, but the way the statement is framed is a little misleading. "Just as A can learn from B, so B can learn from A" suggests that there's an equal likelihood of the information going either way, which isn't the case. A college freshman who's never studied physics before can learn a lot about physics from a tenured physics professor...but while it's hypothetically possible, it's highly unlikely that a tenured physics professor is going to learn anything about physics from a college freshman who's never studied physics before.

I think the most valuable thing that newbies have to contribute is their experience as newbies -- recognizing, of course, that there's a good chance that others have heard it before. Every shihan was a newbie once, just as every tenured physics professor was once a college freshman, so they had that experience as well, and may have had the exact same amazing revelations. At the same time, even if someone else's closely parallels yours, twenty years down the road they may not really think about it much, and newbie perspectives can be a valuable reminder. Newbies should remember, though, that they're likely to be posting stuff that people have heard before in some form, probably many times -- so don't feel hurt when you don't always get much of a response.

Then, too, there can be significant differences in newbie experience, depending on life circumstances. We all had the experience of stepping onto the mat the first time -- but not everyone has had the experience of stepping onto the mat for the first time as a woman, as an older adult, as a person with a disability or a chronic medical condition, etc. I can see the potential for experienced aikidoka to make erroneous assumptions about what a newbie is experiencing, which could be quite different from his/her own newbie experiences. Again, this is an opportunity to listen and learn, although it really requires some clarity of thought and expression from the newbie if that's to happen -- if you're trying to communicate across a gap in life experiences, you have to be able to reflect on your own experiences and frame them well enough for others who don't share that experience to understand.

Finally, a newbie may have other life experiences that are directly relevant. I'm not so much talking about the people who try to make connections (sometimes really tenuous ones IMO) between some other area where they have expertise and aikido ("I'm an experienced software developer, and even though I've only been training for two days, I think this gives me a unique and unusually advanced insight into aikido because aikido is like a code review..."), as the pragmatic stuff (I learned what I know about blister prevention and treatment from hiking, for example).

I have to say, I honestly think that the claims of the newbies being roughed up here are sometimes a little overblown (and in some cases, a lot overblown). I also think that newbies have sometimes been oblivious to their own behavior and how they may be stepping on others. It's not all going one way -- let's please recognize that before we start calling out the more experienced members of AikiWeb as not "keeping to the aikido philosophy".
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
dps

Quote:
Dean Suter wrote: View Post
Walk the talk people! Where the hell is the unconditional love and understanding the Founder spoke of.
It is there.
You have to work hard to get to that point.
Your seniors have it.
Watch and listen to them.
If you don't recognize it, it is because of your expectations ( your cup is full )

David

Last edited by dps : 01-21-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
C. David Henderson
United_States

I agree with Mary's post, which is clearly thought through and well stated.

I also feel the unexamined term here is "aikido philosophy," about which, I suspect, there is in fact no wide-spread agreement.

(For example, whether I am right or wrong, I was nonplussed by the statement regarding O Sensei and unconditional love.)

To me it boils down to mutual respect, a value I do associate with my aikido training. That value however doesn't translate for me into "all opinions are equally valid." And showing respect to someone who is relatively inexperienced doesn't necessarily look the same as showing respect to someone who is relatively experienced when it comes to an exchange of ideas, IMO.

YMMV

cdh
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Just my opinion, of course, but there is a difference between a noob getting on a forum and saying "I've been training for 3 weeks, but I don't understand how to blah, blah,blah...", and somebody else saying "I've been training for 3 weeks, and my instructor is wrong about blah, blah, blah..." or "All the black belts should be doing blah, blah, blah..." or "O'Sensei really was trying to blah, blah, blah..." or "Aikido is supposed to be blah, blah, blah...".

I know people with 30 or more years in Aikido who still can't define or express it, so I can see it's easy for some to slam somebody who claims to have figured it all out after a very short time, particularly if they start out ready to argue about it, rather than actually listening to those who might try to encourage patience. I rather think that the expectation (perhaps idealism at its best) is that you start humble, and just get more so as you go along (beginners' mind).

So introduction and reaction have much to do about attitude. There will always be exceptions; there will always be noobs with much more wisdom than would be expected, and there will always be those who just want to fight. If one can keep in mind that everybody has something to teach, as well as something to learn, I think it makes it easier to cope with the "overzealous"...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Just my opinion, of course, but there is a difference between a noob getting on a forum and saying "I've been training for 3 weeks, but I don't understand how to blah, blah,blah...", and somebody else saying "I've been training for 3 weeks, and my instructor is wrong about blah, blah, blah..." or "All the black belts should be doing blah, blah, blah..." or "O'Sensei really was trying to blah, blah, blah..." or "Aikido is supposed to be blah, blah, blah...".

I know people with 30 or more years in Aikido who still can't define or express it, so I can see it's easy for some to slam somebody who claims to have figured it all out after a very short time, particularly if they start out ready to argue about it, rather than actually listening to those who might try to encourage patience. I rather think that the expectation (perhaps idealism at its best) is that you start humble, and just get more so as you go along (beginners' mind).

So introduction and reaction have much to do about attitude. There will always be exceptions; there will always be noobs with much more wisdom than would be expected, and there will always be those who just want to fight. If one can keep in mind that everybody has something to teach, as well as something to learn, I think it makes it easier to cope with the "overzealous"...
I am sure I can be as guilty as the next guy in being impatient at times with newbies.It is as Clark stated, it's how the post gets stated. I actually think that, in general, people here are VERY patient with new folks. I usually don't post to the newbie questions, myself. At this point I am not a very good person to do so. My wife, who is an Aikido beginner, has pointed out that after spending virtually my entire adult life doing this art, I really don't even remember what it is like to be a beginner.I guess that's true... both Ikeda Sensei and Saotome Sensei told me not to even teach the beginner classes but have one of my seniors do so.

One thing that I I think gets the experienced folks a bit harsh is the appearance of laziness on the part of the poster. Jun has created a huge archive of material on here and it is free. Sometimes when a newbie asks a question or posts an observation concerning a topic which has 40,000 views and 500+ posts, you wish they had simply done a search and taken the time to read what has already been written.

How did the experienced people who posts here get that way? A lot of hard work. I have read virtually everything in the Aikido Journal archives, many articles more than once. I have most of what I consider to be the best books on Aikido, I have read all of the continuing set of articles by Peter Goldsbury, etc. Sometimes folks post on something on which the answer is quite close at hand. We should be more patient than we are sometimes, I agree. But it's hard when a topic has been beaten to death and you'd hoped it was dead and buried and it gets resurrected by some well meaning newbie.

It's not so easy to be experienced on the forums either. That's one of the reasons why there are so few really high ranking people posting with any frequency. Kensho Furuya tried years ago and simply left because the discourse was so discordant. He was accorded none of the respect that someone of his experience would expect in a dojo or in person. The internet is a hard place.

A number of quite senior people have told me that they either don't post or have stopped posting because they don't feel they have time to wade through so much BS and the don't wish to take the time for it.

So, yes, we should be more patient and welcoming of our new arrivals. But also, we should appreciate the really experienced folks who do support the site. I think that takes quite a bit of patience as well. Many do not have enough and don't bother.

And folks do have to deal with fact that Aikido is a martial art. Just as when you are new at the dojo and your technique isn't working and the seniors don't seem to have the time of day for you, or you think they are trying to kill you when they do train with you, you have to just get through it. After a time it won't be that way any longer. It's the same here. You have to be able to handle some hurt feelings and bruised egos to be able to participate. If you can't hold your own, it's never going to be very enjoyable. The respect you get on-line is earned, just as it is on the mat.

I think that, for the most part, people are very receptive to a sincerely asked question on the part of a newbie. I also think they are quite tolerant of an opinion on the part of a newbie which is level appropriate, even if it is a bit off base. What seems to get folks going here are ill considered or poorly expressed ideas and strong opinions expressed by people who don't know anything about what they are talking about. Then it can be a feeding frenzy.

Perhaps it shouldn't be that way but I don't think it is different anywhere on the Internet and Aikiweb is far more civilized than some places. Jun does a very good job of sitting on threads or posts that have gotten out of hand, something that didn't happen at Aikido Journal and it destroyed the participation on their forum.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I hope I'm not one of the rude new aikido people here. As a new aikido person, I can say that I have never personally felt attacked or made fun of. I have seen some harsh things going on between other people though. I have no idea as to how long they have been training. I must say that at several points, most of you have answered some of my questions and I have found you to be helpful. I am probably guilty of asking answered questions already, but I am trying to get better about that. I didn't know aikiweb had a search feature for a while. Now that is my first go to.

In the end, this was a good thread and I have enjoyed reading your comments.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
MM
United_States

A nice post, George. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
akiy

Re: Are we keeping to the aikido philosophy (here on AikiWeb)?

Good discussion so far, folks. Thank you for your thoughtfulness from all of you on all of this.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States

I pose a few things to consider:
1. Poor writing that does not effectively communicate the poster's intentions is the fault of the poster, not those who critique the post.
2. Posts that demonstrate a clear lack of preparation or forethought is the fault of the poster, not those who critique the post.
3. Posts that set forth speculation or opinion as fact is the fault of the poster, not those who critique the post.

Many posts [from more experience voices] that I read on aikiweb that appear harsh often are in response to one of these faults. That post may include a link to a previously discussed thread, a request for clarification regarding the topic, or a denounciation or counter to an opinion-presented-as-fact. These responses can appear harsh.

I often find I prefer to respond to well-written posts. I also prefer to read about new topics of interest rather that responding to a topic about which I have previously read. As an observation, I cannot recall reading a senior aikiweb-er respond negavitively to a well-reasoned and prepared post from a newer member.

As for the aikido philosophy I say this, what if a student trained half-heartedly on the mat, or gave instruction to a senior, or contested sensei, or made wild theories, or any of a number of habits we see on aikiweb. For all of these things, that student would be judged by the other dojo members and reprimanded for her conduct. So why does that respect and attitude change in cyber space?

I believe often we seek to post what we want to say, then revise our comments when rebuffed by others. We think we deserve credit for trying. One of my favorite english teachers once told me that if something was important enough to write down, then [i] should be prepared to concisely, effectively, and clearly write it and stand up for what I wrote. If not, then [i] did not know enough about what I was writing about to write about it. Similary, Einstein said, "
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

Thanks for the responses so far.

Quote:
I think the most valuable thing that newbies have to contribute is their experience as newbies -- recognizing, of course, that there's a good chance that others have heard it before. Every shihan was a newbie once, just as every tenured physics professor was once a college freshman, so they had that experience as well, and may have had the exact same amazing revelations. At the same time, even if someone else's closely parallels yours, twenty years down the road they may not really think about it much, and newbie perspectives can be a valuable reminder. Newbies should remember, though, that they're likely to be posting stuff that people have heard before in some form, probably many times -- so don't feel hurt when you don't always get much of a response.
I like this and agree totally.

Quote:
One thing that I I think gets the experienced folks a bit harsh is the appearance of laziness on the part of the poster. Jun has created a huge archive of material on here and it is free. Sometimes when a newbie asks a question or posts an observation concerning a topic which has 40,000 views and 500+ posts, you wish they had simply done a search and taken the time to read what has already been written.
What I found useful when I first joined this forum was a link placed to appropriate archived material. It's been pointed out that some people don't even realise that there is a search function so a quick reference is good. It can end a thread and the OP gets what they need or at least put in the right direction.

Quote:
I also feel the unexamined term here is "aikido philosophy," about which, I suspect, there is in fact no wide-spread agreement.
I thought someone would pick up on this. Agreed, the philosophy of aikido is a broad topic. My definition, for the purposes of this post, is to say that we should look to create a welcoming atmosphere here at aikiweb for beginners. I believe, on the whole, we do that but some threads have shocked me recently.

Please note, that I'm talking about attitudes in the forums and not on the mat. I don't believe personal opinions and questions should dominate physical training time.

Carl...thanks for your post, it did put things in perspective for me. I should lighten up.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
dps

On any thread, if you scroll to the very bottom of the page there is a "Similiar Threads" section.

Here is a post by Lynn Seiser from that section, bold type is from me.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13589

"What Aikido is Not (IMHO)

When I was a child, I believed in magic.
I hated people who burst my bubbles.

Aikido is many things to many people. I know that it is supposed to be the gift from O'Sensei Morihei Ueshiba to a world full of confusion, conflict, and chaos. I do get a lot out of training. Nevertheless, and in no offense to O'Sensei, there are many things that Aikido is not. Aikido is not magic, it is not a quick fix, and it is not an escape or retreat from the real world.

As I got older, I wanted to believe in magic.
I learned to appreciate the people who burst my bubble
so I could see and deal with reality.

Aikido is not the only, or even the best, martial art. Aikido is a martial art. If it matches your needs, then practice. If not, let it go. Do not feel you are better than others because you practice or worse because you do not. The reason there are so many styles and systems of martial arts is that each have their strengths and weaknesses, their application intent and context, and their personality matches. Aikido may be the best for you, but the worst for another.

Aikido is not psychological intervention and treatment. It is not counseling or psychotherapy. Aikido will not fix your mental or emotional problems. In fact, because of the intense interactions, you may become even more aware of them. Aikido is that type of arena. By being aware of your problems, you can consciously face, accept, and resolve them (but not on the mat please).

Aikido is not medical treatment. Aikido will not fix physical conditions or injuries. In fact, it has the potential, if you do not train wisely, to make everything physically worse. Wise training, slow, and steady, watching alignment and form, and progressing slowly, now that just may be of some benefit. What would the fun be in that?

Aikido is not a social life. While you can learn social skills in a dojo, it is not a substitute for, or sanctuary from, the real world and a need for real human interaction. The social interaction before, during, and after training is important. It is a way to realize you are not alone in your Budo journey. That is important. Though trying to find your social life, especially the dating or sexual aspects, can lead to loss of the exact thing you were looking for.

Aikido is not family. Aikido is a type of family where you can learn parental type roles, responsibilities, and affection by teaching. Aikido is a type of family where you can learn sibling roles, responsibilities, and affect for senior and junior (rank, not age) members. Aikido is a type of family in which you share a responsibility to contribute and participate in the family dwelling, the dojo where you study. However, to neglect your real family and not practice the same at home is to totally miss the spirit of Aikido.

Aikido is not parenting. Aikido is not substitute for actively aware and engaged parents. Most Aikido Dojos offer a children's program. Some have after school programs for working parents. They may provide safety, supervision, and study time, but the children do not want or need if from substitute parents. They need it from the real thing, the ones who gave them birth brought them home, and love them.

Aikido is not the answers to your questions about your purpose in life. It gives you a place to practice that purpose. A Zen Koan is an absurd question that defies intellectual analysis and understanding. The best way to find the answer to a Zen Koan is to drop the question and stay consciously aware in the present. You do not find a purpose in life; you put it there by the direction and choices you make. The answer is in the question. How do you stop yourself from having the life you want?

Aikido is not aerobic, resistance, or stretching exercise. It is not ballet, folk dancing, or disco. Aikido is not a spectator sport. Aikido is physical movement. It is graceful and rhythmic. It looks like a choreographed dance from the bleachers. It is only when you sign up, show up, suit up, shut up, and train as an actively engaged participant that you finally understand what Aikido offers. You will not be able to explain it to anyone who does not train and you will not have to explain it to anyone who does.

The physical practice of Aikido is not the mental or spiritual practice. The mental or spiritual practice is not the physical practice. To have body, mind, and spirit in harmony, you must train the body, mind, and spirit separately and in unity. It is not either/or and it is not sequential. It is both and it is simultaneous. That is the practice, everything pointed, and extending in the same direction at the same time.

Aikido is not magic, but people are. Aikido it is not a quick fix, but a tool of respect and discipline. Aikido is not an escape or retreat from the real world, but a safe place to practice how to be in it and what direction we already know we need to be heading.

As an old man, I believe in the magic of reality and discipline.
I have become that person who bursts bubbles.
However, I try to do it with positive intent and love.

Thanks for listening, for the opportunity to be of service, and for sharing the journey. Now get back to training. KWATZ!"

Last edited by dps : 01-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
jxa127
Dojo: Itten Dojo -- Mechanicsburg, PA

George made two very good points regarding internet forums (fora?):

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Okay, so I'm new to aikido and I find out about Aikiweb. I got to aikiweb with a burning question about people turning out of shihonage (or the effectiveness of aikido in a fight, or whatever). I guess the proper action is to do a forum search and find my answer there. But if I do that, I run into this problem:

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
A number of quite senior people have told me that they either don't post or have stopped posting because they don't feel they have time to wade through so much BS and the don't wish to take the time for it.
So I find several threads on shihonage, and then wade through 500 posts with different opinions, arguments, side discussions, and flat-out contradictions. Furthermore, I'm probably too dang new to pick up on the fact that George Ledyard is a very experienced instructor while Drew Ames (to pick a name out of the air) is a common schmoe with just a decade of experience.

In the OLD DAYS of the internet, there'd be a frequently asked questions (FAQ) file that would get updated frequently and posted frequently to the newsgroups. There might be bickering over the answers, but generally, the answers were there, easy to find, and good enough for a starting point.

The bottom line is that it's not that easy for a newbie to get acclimated to using the forums (and that goes for any fora, not just Aikiweb). That's why some of the first advice for netiquette was to lurk for a while before posting.

It seems these days that both netiquette and the maintenance of FAQs have declined as common practices. The answer to a common question used to be "read the answer to the common questions (read the FAQ)"; it is now "search the forums." That is not an improvement.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
akiy

I've moved the posts regarding a possible collaborative AikiWeb FAQ section to here...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States

My honest answer to the question posed in the title of this thread is yes, absolutely. This forum is exceptionally civil and the regulars here are tolerant and generous.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
gdandscompserv

United_States

Once again.
Those darn varmits!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Sy Labthavikul
Dojo: Aikido Academy USA of Alhambra
United_States

Compared to the vast majority of internet forums for niche topics, I'd say we're a class act in civility. Though that isn't a license that we should be complacent; there's always room for improvement. Green enthusiasm shouldn't be met with scorn; it should be met with equal enthusiasm, an eagerness to guide newcomers to appropriate sources of information.

I used to play this computer game, lets call it Domain of Battle-artifice (UoB), where people (mostly programmers, engineers, academia, and other ivory-tower types) would love to pontificate on its mathematical details and how to optimize their play. They called it theorycrafting, I mean hypothesis-artificing.

The premiere forum for such hypothesis-artificing was a website called something like Snobby Bastards, and while the level of discussion there was very high level - statistical analysis of every possible encounter in the game was considered required reading before you could even understand what they talking about - it was not very newbie friendly. In fact, if you were to post a question or discussion topic that had already been covered, within hours an administrator would reply "Use search idiot," then issue you a warning. Simple requests for information that were considered "common knowledge" never received answers, just warnings and plenty of scorn. Three or more warnings and you'd be IP banned from the forum. There was no appeal.

---------------------------------
train as if the tengu will never visit, execute as if they already have
Old 01-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #23
Eugene Leslie

Canada

Good people on this site.

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides
Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #24
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

The Racial Divide could be an answer.

Simply speaking, it means that in any forum there will be a group of people who share similar values and ideas, more often than not they would be of the same grouping be it country of origin, sex, educational background, race or creed.

When someone other than those people are comfortable with come out to say something, most times their views are either look at with condescension, ignored or put down. We as human beings like to have a safety zone. That's why mob rule exists. Take anyone out of a mob, and most will fall back to accepted societal behaviour. So, sometimes when someone in that mob starts shooting down a new poster, others of the mob usually follow suit even though in their own personal opinion, there was nothing wrong with the post.

Also, talking with people over the net whom you've never met is sometimes off putting. That's why you feel more comfortable posting to people whom you've already met in real life. This people are real, you know them and they know you. At the very least, they have to be polite and respond to your post because its expected of them. Taken in that context, you would generally have met people living in the same geographical location as you.

Finally, everyone is free to make a choice. Some post here to share what they have without feeling the need for a pat on the back. Some share to get positive feedback. Some lurk to just feed their mind, and some like to criticize because it suits their temperament to do so.

I've been called a terrorist in this very forum a number of years back. From a very small minded person who engaged only a small part of this forum's varied topics. And unhappily enough, that spurred some other people to join in on the onslaught as well. Never you mind the basis of the name calling, nor the context, its easier to jump on the bandwagon with the winning team.

For me, it does not matter if you praise me or criticize me. As long as the forum itself remains impartial, you can deposit your thoughts and opinion here. Maybe someone will find it useful and maybe not. But perhaps for that someone who did find it useful, you have at least brighten his life a bit. And that should be reward enough.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #25
Carl Thompson

Japan

I wonder how many people have sat and written long responses to Aikiweb threads, then paused with the cursor hanging just above the "submit reply" button, before finally closing the window without sharing their thoughts for fear of either other's egos or their own.
Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
Maybe someone will find it useful and maybe not. But perhaps for that someone who did find it useful, you have at least brighten his life a bit. And that should be reward enough.
I always ask myself... "why post?" and "for whose benefit?"
Quote:
Sy Labthavikul wrote: View Post
In fact, if you were to post a question or discussion topic that had already been covered, within hours an administrator would reply "Use search idiot," then issue you a warning.
That tempts me to start a new thread entitled "Is aikido effective?" just to see what happens.

...(pauses)..

...(stands up...paces around the room a moment)...

...(tries to examine own ego but can't locate it, even with light from halo)

...(SUBMITS REPLY)...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!