Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Haiti Earthquake Relief

Posted 2010-01-13 22:43:47 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/haiti/

The small island nation of Haiti was struck by a massive magnitude 7.0 earthquake on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010. The International Red Cross has stated that as many as 3 million people have been affected by the quake with thousands, if not tens of thousands or hundred of thousands, of lives lost.

AikiWeb wishes to gather donations for those affected by the earthquake to send to the International Red Cross. Donations will be collected through January 31st, 2010 on this webpage.

Please help out if you can. Every little bit helps. Thank you.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Haiti Earthquake Relief

Hi folks,

AikiWeb is putting in $100 towards the donation drive.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

I already ponied up $50 through Doctors Without Borders, a very effective organization that already had 800 staff members on the ground in Haiti when the earthquake struck. Otherwise I'd be kicking in to the Aikiweb Red Cross effort, another worthy organization with plenty of experience in providing aid in situations where the infrastructure has collapsed. I hope other Aikiweb members will give what they can to help our brothers and sisters in Haiti. In the end, we're all one family.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
akiy

Hi folks,

In less than 12 hours, we're now up to $230 having been collected for this donation drive!

Donating directly to organizations such as Doctors without Borders is also encouraged. NPR has a nice list of larger, established international aid organizations who are responding to the disaster at this URL:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=122521163

Thanks, everyone, for your consideration to help in some manner.

-- Jun

Old 01-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Jun, we already donated through http://mercycorp.org . But thanks for leading the charge...

Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
akiy

Hi folks,

We've collected $700 so far in this Haiti Earthquake Donation Drive! Thank you to everyone who has donated through this website (with proceeds going to the International Red Cross) or through other means to help those people affected by the recent earthquake in Haiti.

The donation page on this site may be accessed here:
http://www.aikiweb.com/haiti/
Thank you for your donations and your consideration!

-- Jun

Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Jun, thank you for providing this. Very simple and easy to use.

My thoughts and prayers are with those in need.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Oh boy, guys, what can I say?
Thank you. God bless you all.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
akiy

Hi Marie,

I just want to say that I hope you and everyone you know are safe and sound. Please let us know how things are there, if you get the chance.

My thoughts are with you and those in your area.

-- Jun

Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Thank you, Jun, and all of you. My family and I have really been blessed in this tragedy because we are all alive, with few injuries.
My sister and I lost our homes. My niece and her four year old son almost died. Jason has a big scratch under his left eye and is traumatized. We were lucky enough that friends living in the mountain, farther from the epicenter of the quake took us to their home. Their eight year old son plays with Jason. We can still feel the aftershocks, but we are in an area where no house was destroyed.
Everyday, we hear names of friends who died. The mother of two children training with us died when the bank where she was working collapsed. My Karate instcructor died the same way. My Aikido instructor and his family are safe, as are all the sempais. Sensei and I went to the dojo and found it undisturbed while other houses in the area were damaged. It's like the ground neve buged just there.
The few radio stations still working are receiving text messages from people still burried as I am writing this.
Bodies are decomposing in the street and under the rubbles.
Since the phones are still working in a rather erratic way, the internet is the most practical way of communicating even between us Haitians. We cannot believe the amount of sympathy and help pouring on us. In the name of every Haitian, let me thank the international community from the botom of my heart.
Again, God bless you all.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

Marie, please keep us posted, and let us know what you need.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Thank you, Jun - Doctors Without Borders got Stu and my donation - Marie SO glad to hear from you; understandably you will have more immediate needs than updating us but please do so as you can.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Marie, please keep us posted, and let us know what you need.
Thank you, Marie, believe me, you are already doing your best. Besides that, well, we need prayers.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
There were two Haitian-Americans in my life who were total nightmares. Thinking only of them, I almost stopped my mom from donating at another site. Then I remembered one of the best people in my life being a Haitian-American, and my mom made a moderate donation. It disturbs me that I would think of the ones who caused me pain and used voodoo techniques on me before thinking of one of the greatest men I have ever known, who shares with me a great mutual admiration, adoration, and respect. It would have made more sense to me to think of him first.

Drew
Drew, please, read this:

When the earthquake struck, I was still on my way home from work. My mother, who walks with such difficulty that she mostly uses a wheelchair, was at home with the nurse in charge of her. It was a miracle that none of them was hurt by falling furniture. The house is still standing, but so badly cracked that living there is out of the question. The fact that the land there is hilly doesn't help either. As soon as she could balance on her feet, the nurse rushed outside. Our neighbors wall had collapsed in our driveway, and walking there is still impossible. You have to walk along the edge of a canal that separates our house from our other neighbor. The nurse did that, and had every latitude to run for her own life. Instead of what, she ran to the nearby prime minister's house and pestered the security agents until one of them, a big burly men with a warm smile agreed to follow her. This man carried my mother on his back while the nurse followed with the heavy wheelchair. Once they reached the main gate, they were able to put my mom in the wheelchair and rushed her to the prime minister's wide front lawn, where hundreds of people who had fled their crumbling houses like us ended up gathering. Noticing that my mother was cold, the guy let her borrow his jacket before going to his own home and family. I found my mother and her nurse on this lawn and we camped for about two days before our friend, unable to reach us by phone, came looking for us and took us to his home.
My mother's nurse and this security agent both saved my mother's life.
Also, a neighbor told me that when the earthquake struck, the nanny in charge of his great niece put the child on the floor and laid herself on her to protect her.
Evil and greatness cohabit everywhere on the planet. All you have to do is watch the news.
Thank you for your donation, and trust me, plenty of Haitians deserve it.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
akiy

Hi folks,

I have moved the subdiscussion on Drew's experience with people from Haiti into another thread.

-- Jun

Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
akiy

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update to let you know that we've collected $1030 so far in this Haiti Earthquake Donation Drive.

I am happy to see the AikiWeb community come together to help those in very desperate need. Thank you!

-- Jun

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Marie,

OSU

I am glad you and your family are ok....please give everyone there our best wises. I hope the the mobile hospitals get set up more quickly, and that you and your stay safe.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
Thomas Campbell

Jun,

Thanks for organizing these contributions. The day after the quake, I cancelled plans for a ski vacation and committed the equivalent amount of money to Haitian earthquake relief via another organization. But I did make a small gift via your link. It's great to see the total amount of contributions accumulating. Every little bit helps, now and in the future.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
akiy

Hi folks

Just a quick update to let you know that we've collected $1150 so far in this Haiti Earthquake Donation Drive.

I appreciate everyone's support for this donation drive and for other groups which are collecting and sending money to help those affected by the recent earthquake in Haiti. Thanks, too, for sharing the news about this donation drive with others on Facebook, Twitter, and other places.

-- Jun

Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Hi guys. I just wanted to keep in touch. I can see that donations keep coming, this is so comforting. We need everything we can find.
Last night, I learned that another person I knew had died during the quake. I did not react. I accepted. I have now reached the point where I am feeling guilty to be there, whole, sheltered by friends and not mourning a close parent. My family has been strangely spared during this tragedy.
Of course, my niece, who almost died with her little boy, had a panic attack a few days after her terrible experience. We were able to take her to a doctor who confirmed that her heart is ok. He gave her something to calm her down and encouraged her to talk about what she went through. Her little boy seems to be ok, he plays, sings and acts out as usual. Then, out of the blues, he will say: "The house is broken"". Then, he keeps playing. I e mailed a friend of mine who is a psychologist and who lives overseas. She gave me some advice about what to do.
Just about four years ago, our children were traumatized by a huge surge of criminality caracterized mostly by kidnappings. Now, this.
Most schools are a big pile of rubbles. Rich parents are taking their children overseas or to the Dominican Republic. What do the other parents do? What is the future of this generation?
Anyway, right now, we are struggling to pick up the pieces. A lot of members of my family live overseas, and they are helping. My sister will have a new house. My mother and I will stay at our friend's and pay a rent. We do not know for how long.
We are trying to start the family business again. When my grandfather built his building about eighty years ago, he decided to make it earthquake proof, just because he was an engineer and knew how to do it. People laughed at him. Well, today, in the middle of ravaged dowtown Port au Prince, our family buisnes's main building is standing tall and proud. My cousin, who was working late that day, had the most terrifying experience of his life, but when the big tremor stopped, he made it home whole and healthy. Thank you, Grandpa!
Of course, standing tall is not everything. Downtown Port au Prince is now a no men's land. Prisons collapsed, and the criminals are busy. The police, or more exactly, what's left of it, is overwhelmed.
Not to mention the rubbles still blocking the streets, and the stench of the dead still lying underneath.
As I am writing this, people are still alive under collapsed buildings.
Two dojo members are doctors. One of them is, guess who? Steeve! Remember him? Well, our doctors are basically homeless. Wich does not prevent them from spending their days tending to the wounded. The other doctor even sent his elderly father to live with family members overseas. He could have gone with his father. Instead of what, he sleeps on his front yard - when he gets the chance - and does his best to help others, including sharing with his neighbors the few clothes that Sensei brought him.
Millions of people are to this day homeless without any idea where they could go.
So this is the situation right now. Please, keep giving, we need everything.
God bless you all.
And oh, let's not forget the positive things. Supermarkets, pharmacys and gas stations are slowly reopenning their doors. Food, water and medicines are becoming available again, and we have gas for our cars and out stoves.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #21
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Thank you Jun for putting this together. I can't do much but am happy to help in my own small way.

Marie. {{hugs}}Thank you for letting us know how you are and what you are going through. I wish you and your family the best as you recover form this sad event.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
akiy

Hi folks

Just a quick update to let you know that we've collected $1170 so far in this Haiti Earthquake Donation Drive.

From what I have just read on the news, over 150,000 bodies have been recovered in the capitol of Port-au-Prince alone with at least 200,000 expected dead. This is an amazing tragedy of epic proportions.

My hope is that we reach $2000 by the end of this donation drive on Sunday, January 31st. Please help!

-- Jun

Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
akiy

Hi Marie,

Thank you for taking the time for giving us a first-person account of what is going on in Port-au-Prince. My thoughts are with you and everyone in your area during this time of chaos, and I hope that things become more stable soon.

Best,

-- Jun

Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Marie:

Thank you for sharing with us. I cannot imagine the difficulties you are facing. I must say it is also gratifying seeing so many people here coming together trying to help. Jun's work to raise funds is fantastic. My daughter's school has been canvassing the neighborhood, relatives, etc. collecting money, gently used shoes and clothing, etc. to send over (the school has extensive connections including a "sister" school via the Episcopalian Church in Haiti). It is really amazing how much a 9-year-old child can collect and it is encouraging to see how much people are willing to give.

We hope it gets to where it needs to go. And we hope that eventually Haiti will come back stronger and better. Lord knows a lucky break is long overdue Haiti.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #25
lbb
United_States

I wanted to add a link that may be useful for people who want to help, but may not have cash to give. One problem with non-cash donations in disasters is that there is often a lack of resources to transport and distribute them, but the Mennonite Central Committee (which has done a lot of this kind of thing) is collecting material in the form of relief kits, heavy comforters and flat sheets. Materials are being collected through February 28th, and the MCC has a plan in place for how to get them to Haiti. They are looking for new materials (or nearly new, in the case of comforters), and have a number of collection and distribution centers throughout the US and Canada. If you've been unable to donate cash but could put together some materials, take a look at http://mcc.org/kits and see if there is a drop-off center near you.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!