Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
End of the road for Aikido Training

Heh, where to begin?

It is with disappointment, after having dedicated the past two and a half years of training consistently in Aikido, that it appears my training here in Hungary is now over.

Ive taken 4 test, received my 3rd kyu, and was hoping to achieve 1st kyu before leaving Hungary in the next couple of years.

Due to the lack of proper instruction, or class structure, I have paid to have private classes in order to be prepared for my test. [This preparation has included going to a small daughter dojo in the neighboring city.]

All the extra cost to try to get what I should have been getting in class.

For about a year our instructor has had an issue with showing up and has left it to the 1st kyus to instruct. Nothing against this, per say, but the lack of communication and structure is frustrating.

Sometimes there are classes where people show up and no one is there to open the dojo doors.

At the end of Oct. classes were cancelled as the gym floor where we practiced needed to be repaired. Classes for half of Nov. were cancelled as well.

Well, we went practically a full month without training, and last week our instructor spent the whole class giving us a lecture.
Wasted training time.

I didnt understand everything but I kind of got the essence of what was going on. [Again, my Hungarian is not fluent.]
Well, I wrote an email to clarify about the payment for the time we missed... [i.e., no payment needed.]

However, I received an angry letter which explained why he was so angry last week.

Apparently he feels that if we show up once we should pay... which I understand. But its his not showing up which is the issue.

Of course he addressed this problem and his solution was that the opportunity to train was there, with the 1st kyus, [actually there were 7 out of 8 potential executive training days that there was no training possible.]

I, like the others, have an issue paying for times when no one shows up or there is not training facility available. It was already rough enough that the main instructor had slacked in showing up.

All I can say is Im disappointed.

Im at the level now where with the rate things are going Im not sure even showing up will benefit me.

I have paid extra for private training sessions, the gas to go to another city to supplement my training, etc. I had hoped to get to a level that when I moved back stateside I could teach Aikido. [Yes, I realize that brown belt doesnt cut it with many, but things are a bit different and here a green belt can [and has] taught their own classes. - Heck, I even have had the lower kyus come over to get me to teach them what the instructor wouldnt.]

Just received his email and was extremely disappointed, as I am probably the only one that has consistently paid him, as well as shown up to virtually every class.

Anyway... such is life.
I cannot afford to pay for training time that doesnt exist.

Peace,

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
dalen7

Hungary
Re: End of the road for Aikido Training

My wife and I have been talking about this... just got finished writing a long letter to my instructor and she asked if I was sure I wanted to send it and make it official that I wont go anymore.

And she brought up the fact that I did learn there a lot... and I am training with people regardless.

At the end of the day, I suppose I wont byte the bullet yet.
There is still the guys there to train with, and hopefully we wont have another extended period where the dojo doors are closed.

But man... have to admit, this did upset me.

Hopefully there will be someone who can communicate with him on a level he would open up to so that positive change could happen, without him being defensive and closing up.

He showed up on Tues., not to teach, but to walk through the gym, with his payment book, and ask who had money to give him. [That was just weird.]

At the end of the lesson that was spent with him telling us why we should pay for the 7 missed lessons... he went on with telling us that we are to rough and need to flow. [Well, show up and teach us bro.]

When he left out, the highest ranking kyu basically mocked him, and pointed to the waste of yet another lesson. [this guy is an older guy that doesnt go around making fun of anyone.]

I cant believe that our instructor doesnt see this. Frustrating.

What is a shame is that none of us can get anywhere if we dont go out of the way to get an extra private training session, etc.
Basically no one test, and we never really cover what is needed on the test.

This is not new, its been like this for a long time.

But anyway... Ill shut up, and suppose Ill pay him today for the lost month and train with those who do show up. Might as well just pay the higher kyu ranks that teach the class.

I will say, the guy has talent... but about 6 people have already left because of the lack of structure at our dojo. [and he felt bad about it and didnt see the connection.]

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
dalen7

Hungary

In light of the fact that we probably wont have classes toward the end of the month due to the season, paying for an empty month of lessons and another half month of no lessons is kind of a luxury, so I have written my instructor asking if he will drop the request to pay for the 7 lessons that we did not have.

I think the whole thing broke out because certain people only started coming when he was there, so didnt pay for the full month...

None-the-less, suppose Ill see where all of this leads.

Maybe I can hunt down those guys who already left and are training together somewhere.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
crbateman

Don't give up, Dalen... Find a partner to train with until a better situation comes along...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Don't give up, Dalen... Find a partner to train with until a better situation comes along...
Thanks for the encouragement Clark... something good will come out of all of this.

Peace,

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #6
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Dalen,

Well, I hope it is not really the end of the road for you, since you really have only just begun. When I myself started, for the first two years we had a good teacher (a 3rd dan from Kisshomaru Ueshiba, awarded through his university), who taught for free because he was a student like we were. He awarded kyu grades, with coloured belts, but I later discovered that these grades had no validity whatsoever outside the dojo.

But when he left and returned to Japan, we had to cope by ourselves. We had our own club at the university and were able to operate more or less independently (I mean that the university authorities did not concern themselves with what we were doing). So we practised, and I myself went to two other dojos, in London, to see what they were doing there. I did this for about two years, until I moved to the States in 1973 and once again joined a regular dojo, headed by a Japanese shihan. However, I did not become a member of the Aikikai until 1978, when I received shodan. This was nine years after I started practicing.

In some ways these years were 'lost', in the sense that if I had started in an Aikikai dojo from the beginning, these years would count and my present rank would be higher. But this does not matter. They were a good training experience, for I had to start again from the beginning, not once but twice--with two different and demanding Japanese teachers.

Since you started contributing to this forum, I have been pondering your situation in Hungary. To me it represents the down side of not having a stable organization. It is a curious question why no stable Aikikai organization has ever been established in Hungary. After all, Mr Varszegi and Mr Gollo have both been training for a long time. I have met both gentlemen several times and once taught a seminar in Budapest (with Mr Gollo: this was about 20 years ago, I think).

The consequence is that for the Aikikai at least (I know nothing about Yoseikan, Yoshinkan, or Shodokan), other ways have to be found for individuals to connect with the Aikikai, if they wish to. However, this is a Catch-22 situation. The Aikikai will not recognize a group unless the person technically responsible lives in the country permanently, has at least a 4th dan, and is supported by other, junior, yudansha. But to get to this situation, you need someone of shihan rank (who can award the ranks) either residing in the country, or visiting on such a regular basis that a core of committed students can be created and nurtured.

This is what actually happened after the war in the US and Europe, with Japanese shihan like Tamura and Saotome, and is what happens now in the Netherlands, for example. My two groups do not want a resident Japanese shihan (since there was trouble in the past), so I visit twice a year and give two seminars. At the summer seminar dan examinations are held. However, the two groups are large enough to bear the cost of my travelling expenses etc. I am sure the same thing happens with other groups.

Or you can abandon organizations, examinations and grades altogether and train simply each week, without the instructor, if he is so much trouble. Of course, you will still need to progress technically and I am well aware of the difficulty of doing this alone. In addition, if you abandon the psychological prop that examinations and grades gives you, you need to find a substitute, which is thought worthwhile and accepted by everybody in the group.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-03-2009 at 04:21 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
dalen7

Hungary

Peter,

Thank you for your detailed response, you have been very helpful with your replies in the past, and this is no different.

Your absolutely right concerning the choices set before me.

I had hoped to have a tie with the Aikikai by achieving my 1st kyu here in Hungary and then upon moving taking my shodan in a dojo affiliated with the Aikikai.

... or, if here long enough, testing under Tamura Sensei, which would connect me to the Aikikai. [though, from how I understand it, not everyone is able to test under him here.]

While Im not against independent dojos, I see merit in being connected to an organization such as the Aikikai and thus is why I was hoping to eventually get the connection.

The most frustrating part is the technical aspect of the training as pointed out. I need some quality training time above everything else, and its this aspect that has been missing.

In a way, the difficult time I have had here has pushed me into learning what I already know. However, I am looking forward to a time when things are a bit smoother in flow.

I suppose the saying goes that the external reflects the internal.

As for now, I cannot see clearly how my training will progress, but I am dedicated to keeping my Aikido training alive.

Again, thank you for your reply.

This forum has helped me out quite a bit in my past couple of years of training to be sure.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 12-03-2009 at 04:57 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Dalen

You seems continously passionate about Aikido

Seems to me, you have progressed enough to go and look for your Sensei, once again, this time, with some ideas about what you are looking for (just be carefull not to place to much emphasis on past failures, teachers could be wrong for you for many other reasons too).

Good luck
Amir
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
Dalen

You seems continously passionate about Aikido

Seems to me, you have progressed enough to go and look for your Sensei, once again, this time, with some ideas about what you are looking for (just be carefull not to place to much emphasis on past failures, teachers could be wrong for you for many other reasons too).

Good luck
Amir
Thanks Amir,

I am pretty passionate about Aikido indeed.

As an update to this whole topic, I took my wife out and talked with a guy who actually has a gym & mats that he is basically willing to let us use for free.

In light of this, there was a guy who found me here at Aikiweb that lives in Hungary who said if I could find mats he would try to come out and help train.

So this is a bit of good news. Im hoping to approach a few of the guys at the dojo who initially approached me to train them awhile back to see if they would be open to doing extra training on the side. [i.e., dont want to do an us vs. them scenario]

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

I admire your dedication and perseverance dAlen. Five, may be ten years from now, you'll look back at this episode as just a part of character development. Just remember, adversitites that don't destroy you makes you stronger. Good luck on your endeavors and keep on training.

Larry

Plus Ki
Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Mark Mueller

Dalen,

You should get in touch with Jimmy Sorrentino. I know he has connections to aikido in Hungary and he has taught over there a few times. PM me and I will send you his email address.

Best Regards,

Mark
Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

dAlen, been in similar situations trying to make training happen in an unstable environment. it ain't easy or fun for sure. Just keep doing whatever you can do to make it work for you!

Good luck and let us know if I can help in anyway.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Sorry to hear things are going so horrible. Keep your head above water and eventually you will have the chance to train at your ideal dojo. At least you are able to train with some nice people in the meantime. Good luck.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
dalen7

Hungary

Aikiweb is really quite the community, I appreciate everyones words of encouragement.

Quote:
Larry Cuvin wrote: View Post
Five, may be ten years from now, you'll look back at this episode as just a part of character development.

Larry
Your totally right about that Larry.

I believe its helping to teach me to truly just chill out and not take things so seriously.

Quote:
Mark Mueller wrote: View Post
Dalen,

You should get in touch with Jimmy Sorrentino. I know he has connections to aikido in Hungary and he has taught over there a few times. PM me and I will send you his email address.
Thanks Mark, will do...

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
dAlen, been in similar situations trying to make training happen in an unstable environment. it ain't easy or fun for sure. Just keep doing whatever you can do to make it work for you!

Good luck and let us know if I can help in anyway.
Thanks Kevin - help truly is there when you need.

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear things are going so horrible. Keep your head above water and eventually you will have the chance to train at your ideal dojo. At least you are able to train with some nice people in the meantime. Good luck.
Will do Ashley, and your right, its important to make the best of what is there and focus on that.

Again, thanks for the comments, Im way more optimistic than I was this morning. [Just needed some time to digest this and let it go.]

Getting easier, as Im starting to truly realize that people arent necessarily trying to be 'hard' - everyone is just where they are at, which does greatly vary, but it does teach patience and understanding toward others which may be the only way to open up communication in some situations.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
piyush.kumar
Dojo: UTA aikido club
United_States

Hey,
If it helps, since you have trained for some time now ur aware of the basics. From my understanding, all the elements of aikido and all the sayings o'sensei puts forth in quotes are contained within each techinque. Perfection cannot be reached but we may strive for it. I have trained for 2 years now and i have seldom had any one to train with outside of the class. So i shadow-box everything alone slowly. All the rolls, aiki-taisos or iaido's. Even practicing the basics will take u far. Even if there is not anybody else. Going will be slow, you will lose your way, but is that not how o'sensei trained . Nobody taught him aikido. He discovered by his own diligent practice. So while waiting for a good sensei to come along, just run through ur basics again n again n again, u'll be surprised .
Piyush
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Piyush Kumar wrote: View Post
Hey,
If it helps, since you have trained for some time now ur aware of the basics. From my understanding, all the elements of aikido and all the sayings o'sensei puts forth in quotes are contained within each techinque. Perfection cannot be reached but we may strive for it. I have trained for 2 years now and i have seldom had any one to train with outside of the class. So i shadow-box everything alone slowly. All the rolls, aiki-taisos or iaido's. Even practicing the basics will take u far. Even if there is not anybody else. Going will be slow, you will lose your way, but is that not how o'sensei trained . Nobody taught him aikido. He discovered by his own diligent practice. So while waiting for a good sensei to come along, just run through ur basics again n again n again, u'll be surprised .
Piyush
Good idea, I have been trying to bulldoze through Aikido actually - time to actually take some time to hone those basic skills so I can bring in the flow to my movements... something, which as you pointed out, can be done at home.

Peace,

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 12-03-2009 at 01:07 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Hey dAlen,

Not much to add....except to say "Hang in man!" I daresay Aikido needs you and your passion as much as you need Aikido. Don't give up!

Russ
Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #18
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

In your place, I would try to establish a connection directly to a high ranking instructor abroad. Train on your own, save money and travel to the instructor for intensive training.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #19
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Russ Qureshi wrote: View Post
Hey dAlen,
Not much to add....except to say "Hang in man!" I daresay Aikido needs you and your passion as much as you need Aikido. Don't give up!

Russ
Thanks Russ

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
In your place, I would try to establish a connection directly to a high ranking instructor abroad. Train on your own, save money and travel to the instructor for intensive training.
Nice, just pricey, as I would love to just go train with the instructor who gives us ranks - he is 4th dan and pretty passionate about Aikido... but is about 2-3 hours away from us by car.

Here is what has developed since I first posted:

- I went last night to talk [well had a paper translated to make clear what I wanted to say] and he said he would write me back.
Basically trying to clarify not paying for those 7 lessons that just didnt exist.

So I was able to train with the others.

Despite the frustration with all of this, and the fact I wanted to just walk out, I do want to be careful of just cutting things off.

Im having to learn and understand small town politics and way of life. It seems that things are circular, people get frustrated...keep it in... spill it out... and move on.

Of course Im an outside observer with a language Im trying to get a grasp of, but the point is that it seems that its not just as easy for people to just jump up and start things over, etc.

Its a small town and everyone knows each other and they just have to deal with personalities. Im not sure its actually dealing with it though, as I mentioned stories are circular.

And that is the lesson Im trying to take from this is not to take these stories so seriously, while trying to find practical solutions that doesnt cause isolation.

Admittedly there was a dojo split before with 6 people apparently leaving. [though Im only aware of 2 of them specifically.]
But that was a group of friends who didnt just go out and advertise their stuff but did it together as they grew frustrated with the training at the dojo.

What Im looking at doing now that I have found access to mats, and have been offered from someone who found me on Aikiweb awhile back to come twice a month and train with me... is just that - train for a few hours twice a month with this guy who does Birankai Aikido.

On the side I hope to use this gym to train, actually practice would be the politically correct word here, with 3-4 of the guys who feel they need more time to ready for their exam.

What comes of this, whether we leave the other dojo or not completely is something I cant say for now.
Knowing how things work in small cities, where 'change comes slowly if at all', as ol Bilbo said, I dont think there will be another dojo split... probably people who just quit or end up practicing with me on the side.

The one plus side has been the cost of training isnt as expensive as stateside, even with the shift of the Sensei not teaching as much this wasnt a problem, it only becomes an issue if there is no training.

Ill say one of the things that I know people want is to be connected to something and receive their ranks here... even though they mean nothing outside of Hungry, they take their books with them and get them signed, etc.

Which is funny as I never was able to get one of those books that are signed for seminars ect. I asked more than once and finally he said that it wasnt that important and that the yudansha was the one that was important. - which in the greater scheme of things is true. [I do have my certificates signed by our 4th dan to show that I did do something... but in truth, I expect that people will be more interested in testing me to see what I know vs. what a paper says... though its still nice to have.]

Anyway, enough babbling... perhaps some of this made sense.

On the plus side to the fact that I will be training on the side to the dojo here, I just got an email saying that I was welcome back to Thai boxing. [He is pretty cool, he is trading me Thai boxing lessons for English lessons.]

I admittedly only took 2 lessons, thats how out of shape I was... or I should say that my body was not used to being repeatedly kicked by shins again and again...

The issue was with my weakside being kicked by these bigger guys most powerful leg. And when we went to the MMA part they didnt have mats and it threw my back out... and that was the show stopper.

I wish I could get them to train down at this other gym with mats... but they have been set up training here for who knows how long. He and his father both teach kyokushin karate there as well. [think I got the name right... its a competitive sport with no gloves and they love to punch everything but the head... thankfully.]

Peace

dAlen

- you know, its an irony that all of this happened the way it did as I just posted a long blog about love at wordpress the other night.

It was saying how love is acceptance, which does not imply that change cant be made... its more of perspective and how you go about doing it.

As ol' Eckhart said, life will give you situations to show you who you really are, or where you are at, vs. where you think you are. - great for 'life training'

Last edited by dalen7 : 12-04-2009 at 03:49 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
Stormcrow34
Dojo: Yoseikan Budo
United_States

Hi Dalen. It seems like a rough situation but you'll be fine. It's not like you don't have options.

Have you tried to sit down and talk to the sensei who is having issues being consistent? Maybe go out for a pint and get a better feel of what's going on? Maybe some more perspective will help your direction?

And speaking of perspective, why not do a little of everything? Maybe you could invite everyone you know who is training or interested in training to the gym when the Birinkai Instructor comes for visit? You have somewhere to train... That's a good start! You know, you could even invite the Muay Thai guys. Even if only a couple people stick around, at least you'll have something to fill in the gaps and could blossom into something even better...

Just a thought...

Last edited by Stormcrow34 : 12-04-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Michael Crowell wrote: View Post
Have you tried to sit down and talk to the sensei who is having issues being consistent? Maybe go out for a pint and get a better feel of what's going on? Maybe some more perspective will help your direction?

And speaking of perspective, why not do a little of everything? Maybe you could invite everyone you know who is training or interested in training to the gym when the Birinkai Instructor comes for visit? You have somewhere to train... That's a good start! You know, you could even invite the Muay Thai guys. Even if only a couple people stick around, at least you'll have something to fill in the gaps and could blossom into something even better...

Just a thought...
Speaking of Muay Thai, got my nose busted this afternoon on my return to Thai Boxing. [only laughing as the pain has gone away and though it felt like my nose landed somewhere else, it wasnt broken.]

Basically I pulled a punch to an uppercut on my instructor and left my face wide open. [yay]

I am fighting south paw, which I have noted gives me a slight edge as long as I can circle to my right and then land the hooks.
Just got to figure out a better guard strategy for blocking punches to my nose.

As far as my kicks... eh... they will get there.

Yes, I am actually talking to 3 guys about practicing with me on the side. I do not plan to invite them with the Birinkai Instructor when he comes... at least not initially.

I know this sounds backwards and against all logic, but Im starting to figure out small town politics and how to get things to progress even if its slowly.

Inviting them would take them out of their comfort zone, as I understand it the instructors Hungarian is as good as mine. [could be wrong.] point is, these guys, despite any issues, have lived here their whole life...and they dont really just get up and go.

With the dojo split that previously happened, it was more or less 6 people, from how I understand it, that got together as friends to train. [no opening of a formal dojo, etc.]

I dont really want to burn bridges, but as you mentioned, expand the possibilities.

Right now I think one or two will want to just practice to get their Aikido up to testing level. I plan on trying to implement what I learn of course...and let things grow naturally from there. [of course if they want to train with the Birankai instructor, I wont hold them back...]

Also, Im doing Thai Boxing [if I can keep this body from getting damaged while trying to get it adjusted for Thai Boxings rougher play], and eventually would like to play with Aikido/Thai Boxing moves in practice at this gym I found.

Im not as much wanting to start a dojo... God only knows my Hungarian is far away from doing so, Im just looking for a few people who want to train with me. [of course I suppose this is how dojos can start.]

Anyway, as you pointed out, there are a few options there.
If things work out, I will try to keep training at the Aikido dojo here while Im here... at least for now.

Oh, as far as the instructor, he is pretty set in his ways I believe.
Hes a tad older than I am, and if some of these things are not obvious, not sure it would help me pointing out. [Again, pointing things out in broken Hungarian isnt quite what I would like to do. Now I have dropped more than subtle hints, even suggested a more structured regime... but it is as it is.]

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 12-04-2009 at 02:30 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #22
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Dalen,
Sounds like a tough situation to be in. I like how you said that this may give you time to work though things, as before you were bulldozering your way through. Better to understand little than to misunderstand a lot. Find a partner who want to train, and go from there. Don't be concerned with groups, dojos, organizations, certificates - all that is secondary to simply being able to connect with someone else, and practice the art.

I do agree, however, that this is a very good example of where an overseeing organization would be of great benefit.

Hang in there - love the art for the art. Don't hate the art for the people who disappoint you with it.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
Dalen,
Sounds like a tough situation to be in. I like how you said that this may give you time to work though things, as before you were bulldozering your way through. Better to understand little than to misunderstand a lot.

Hang in there - love the art for the art. Don't hate the art for the people who disappoint you with it.
I think this whole thing has been a lesson in relations for me.
Typically its easy for me to just sit back, see the 'obvious wrongs' and then light a fire and burn a bridge.

In this I have done quite a bit of sitting back and trying to see past the issues at hand, and make the best of what is there. Suppose I need some of these 'trials' to help me get to another level spiritually. [cant really say Ive been the people person in the past.]

You are correct that its better to understand a little than misunderstand a lot.
[though maybe if you misunderstand a lot, when the piece comes for clarification, you will really get it. - though this could be risky]

As I have alluded to in another thread, I guess I feel more a race against the clock since I started martial arts so late in life. [When I set out to do things Im pretty much the zealot and want to do all or nothing... not taking the time to taste the cake as it were.]

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 12-05-2009 at 10:49 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

OSU

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Figure out what it is *you* want to do. Then figure out how to get there. Being upset about issues, personalities, etc. is normal and natural, but it generally doesn't do much for you in the long run.

So... Take a deep breath, figure out what you want and need, and then go get it. The rest, in the end, isn't your problem.