Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-31-2002, 03:35 AM   #1
ronmar
Question about judo and aikido

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to be honest have very little aikido experience, although I'm thinking of giving it a serious go.
I've been involved with judo for a long time and was wondering if there is anyone else who has come to aikido from judo. If so I would be interested to hear how they coped with the transition. Is previous experience in judo helpful when learning aikido or does it hinder development? How do people feel the two compare in terms of compatability for use together? Do people find that they retain their enthusiasm for judo after starting aikido? Does anyone have an opinion on the general combat effectiveness of judo compared to aikido. BTW, I come from a more sport oriented judo club.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2002, 05:15 AM   #2
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
Red face

You knoe ukemi very well already. And that's a huge plus when starting Aikido. Also SOME techniques are similar. I mean both developed from jujitsu. My father (a practioner as well) once said that Aikido and Judo are somewhat brothers - like Earth and Venus are sisters:P So when great Master Kano formed Judo he took some things from jujitsu and dropped other things, O'Sensei Ueshiba dropped the things which were taken into judo and took the things what weren't in there. The only minus which could be is that you are going to have a little more hard time on learning the stances and the footwork, also using even more opponents power (as for example in koshinage, the hipthrow which is in judo as well but the essence of the throw is different
And you have know already how your body works (huge plus) you know how to attack and grab (huge plus) so happening to know judo before taking up aikido is definitely an advatnage not a disadvatnage.

Jorgen
Estonia
Old 04-04-2002, 05:08 PM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Judo and Aikido

You are really gonna have fun in Aikido.

I don't think I know anyone who stays with Judo who doesn't meet that one person who has to throw you with muscle instead of letting the natural motion be directed to a safe fall ... OUCH!

There will a lot less muscling, and more riding the wave of energy in Aikido. You might have to be a little more gentle with locks and manipulations, they are used more to divert attention into movement then to force movement from muscular resistant partners?

Tell you what. After you try a couple of classes, and get the feel of Aikido, check back and add to this thread.

We are all interested in what you think the differences are after those classes? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:11 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I can only suggest two articles by Kenji Tomiki (way up there in both Judo and Aikido)

http://www.tomiki.org/article_tomiki_jujutsu.html
http://www.tomiki.org/article_tomiki_judo.html

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-05-2002, 06:11 AM   #5
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
The association I train with was started up by Andre Noquet, who reached 8th dan in aikido.

he trained in Judo for many years, heard about O'sensei and went to train with him. he became Uchi deshi and trained under O'sensei for a long time. (cant remember how long )

he returned to france and found his judoka friends thought he had gone soft, as many of the principles that he had been taught changed his perspective of life. They soon learned differently. I didnt go back to judo.

The, now, head of our association started in judo also. I think he switched to aikido after may years, met Master Noquet and trained under him. he never went back to judo either.

there are alot of people that have done it (it just so happens that two of the people who made the switch are people that I have a great deal of respect for). and i am sure that the switch has gone the other way

but, saying all of this... other people I know that have switched from judo to aikido, their main reason for changing is judo related injury that they do not think will be aggrivated by aikido. usually their knees

main thing is, judo will help your aikido ukemi, which is initially one of the most difficult things for a begginer to learn I have found.
you have that right and your aikido is great fun as you can really experience the techniques early on

enough babble from me