Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #51
K. Abrams
Dojo: unaffiliated
United_States
Re: Shocking video: karate black belt almost beats man who does not wnt to fight to d

Quote:
Al Gutierrez wrote: View Post
Very disturbing. I hope that justice is eventually served.
I think I read that that video was made in the 1980s. So, if justice is to be served, it will be because the perpetrator had the hubris to post and boast about it on YouTube 23 years after the fact. Maybe a posse will go after him now.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #52
Maarten De Queecker
Dojo: Aikikai Gent, Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium
Re: Shocking video: karate black belt almost beats man who does not wnt to fight to d

The people at bullshido.net did it: Blythe's name is all over the web, and they had a broadcasting channel make a report on the video.

As proven by 4chan before: the internet shows no merci.

Last edited by Maarten De Queecker : 08-22-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #53
mwpowell

Dojo: Shinjinkan Dojo
United_States

Just came across this on YouTube, posted yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObjWdQBeA4

http://www.kmph.com/global/story.asp?s=10973483

Last edited by mwpowell : 08-23-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Be willing to give up all that you now are, to be all that you can become.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #54
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Mark Powell wrote: View Post
Thanks very much for the links. Most of the vids I see on the internet are anonymous. I often don't even know what country they were taken in. Greatly appreciate the update.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #55
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Wow.. thanks for the links. I hope all of them get in trouble for it.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #56
Jim Sorrentino
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
From the Washington Post...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...51.html?sub=AR

1980s Video of Beating Gets New Life on Internet

By Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 31, 2009

The grainy, aged video clip begins as a bit of a joke, with the leader of a Dumfries karate dojo sarcastically introducing a local man who says he wants to teach a group of karate experts a few things. The man, who says he learned karate from Jesus Christ, steps up to spar with a black belt, but the fight quickly degrades into a vicious beating, ending with the black belt stomping the man's head until he is bleeding and falls unconscious on the floor.

The victim is then dragged out by his legs, leaving a trail of blood. Cryptic messages posted with the video online imply that the man was left to die in a dumpster after he messed with the wrong people on Dec. 13, 1984.

It leaves his fate a mystery.

The controversial video, first posted on YouTube, has gone viral over the past week, being posted and reposted on countless Web sites. Thousands of online comments opine that the man was killed and that the incident amounted to an unsolved murder. Some called for the dojo leader's head, and others alleged a police coverup. Police in Dumfries and Prince William County have fielded numerous calls from concerned people across the country and spent days trying to sort out an incident that is nearly 25 years old.

A police chief in California -- where the dojo leader now lives -- got into the act and went on local television vowing local, state and federal investigations into what he called a "cold case."

Except the case isn't cold, and the man wasn't killed. The viral video is another example of what can happen so easily on the Internet, with sketchy information leading to wild speculation -- and wild-goose chases for police.

"We appreciate that the video was sent to us and that people saw it and were concerned," said Sgt. Kim Chinn, a Prince William police spokeswoman. "This is going to happen more and more now with the Internet, and you often can't tell the times or the dates, who's in the video or if it is real or not."

Capt. Ronald Mackey of the Dumfries Police Department said that the video appears to be real but that police have confirmed that the victim was not killed, since he was interviewed after the fact.

The dojo's leader, Bobby Joe Blythe, could not be reached to comment, nor could the man with the black belt who appears in the video. Officials have not been able to determine the victim's name.

The karate video appears to be shot in the defunct dojo of Blythe, a former U.S. Marine. The small storefront dojo in an obscure Dumfries shopping mall is the same room once featured on NBC's "Today" show in the early 1980s because of Blythe's pioneering work developing female bodyguards for a company he worked with. That company's work was also featured in the New York Times in 1982.

Though long gone, the dojo is clearly the setting for the video, along with at least one other video in which Blythe tells his black belt students that they can do anything they want within the dojo. The video clip of the fight is unmistakably violent. The local man, claiming to be a priest and an expert in martial arts, says he wants to demonstrate some moves: "I just wish to teach you. I don't wish to hurt you . . . I'm not a fighter."

Blythe sarcastically talks about the man's qualifications and then steps away to let the black belt spar with him. After a few mutual blows, the black belt overpowers the man, who appears to give up -- he says, "You're good" -- before he is taken to the ground, kneed in the head, slammed into a metal pole and then stomped.

Chuck Feldbush, a retired Prince William police detective, was working a uniformed patrol beat in the Dumfries area in 1984 and said he knew Blythe and the victim. Feldbush, who could not remember the victim's name, said the man was a vagrant who lived in the woods near the dojo. The man occasionally was the target of a nuisance call, someone who would sometimes try to take food off people's plates at the Pizza Hut or steal just to get caught so he could spend some time in jail, where he would be guaranteed a roof and meals.

Feldbush saw the man in the days after the incident and noticed him limping.

"You could tell he had been beaten severely," Feldbush said. "He wasn't very cooperative and didn't want to pursue charges."

Although police had heard that there was a video of the incident, it did not turn up until years later, sometime in the 1990s. Feldbush said that if the video had surfaced in 1984, he certainly would have pursued it "as far as I could take it."

"There was some egregious behavior on that video," Feldbush said, adding that he saw it for the first time in recent days. "And it has caused a fervor because of what people have been saying about it. You have an African American male beaten into the ground and he's allegedly murdered and the police did nothing. That's as far from the truth as you can imagine. They've weaved quite a tale here."

Staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #57
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: From the Washington Post...

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...51.html?sub=AR

1980s Video of Beating Gets New Life on Internet

By Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 31, 2009

The grainy, aged video clip begins as a bit of a joke, with the leader of a Dumfries karate dojo sarcastically introducing a local man who says he wants to teach a group of karate experts a few things. The man, who says he learned karate from Jesus Christ, steps up to spar with a black belt, but the fight quickly degrades into a vicious beating, ending with the black belt stomping the man's head until he is bleeding and falls unconscious on the floor.

The victim is then dragged out by his legs, leaving a trail of blood. Cryptic messages posted with the video online imply that the man was left to die in a dumpster after he messed with the wrong people on Dec. 13, 1984.

It leaves his fate a mystery.

The controversial video, first posted on YouTube, has gone viral over the past week, being posted and reposted on countless Web sites. Thousands of online comments opine that the man was killed and that the incident amounted to an unsolved murder. Some called for the dojo leader's head, and others alleged a police coverup. Police in Dumfries and Prince William County have fielded numerous calls from concerned people across the country and spent days trying to sort out an incident that is nearly 25 years old.

A police chief in California -- where the dojo leader now lives -- got into the act and went on local television vowing local, state and federal investigations into what he called a "cold case."

Except the case isn't cold, and the man wasn't killed. The viral video is another example of what can happen so easily on the Internet, with sketchy information leading to wild speculation -- and wild-goose chases for police.

"We appreciate that the video was sent to us and that people saw it and were concerned," said Sgt. Kim Chinn, a Prince William police spokeswoman. "This is going to happen more and more now with the Internet, and you often can't tell the times or the dates, who's in the video or if it is real or not."

Capt. Ronald Mackey of the Dumfries Police Department said that the video appears to be real but that police have confirmed that the victim was not killed, since he was interviewed after the fact.

The dojo's leader, Bobby Joe Blythe, could not be reached to comment, nor could the man with the black belt who appears in the video. Officials have not been able to determine the victim's name.

The karate video appears to be shot in the defunct dojo of Blythe, a former U.S. Marine. The small storefront dojo in an obscure Dumfries shopping mall is the same room once featured on NBC's "Today" show in the early 1980s because of Blythe's pioneering work developing female bodyguards for a company he worked with. That company's work was also featured in the New York Times in 1982.

Though long gone, the dojo is clearly the setting for the video, along with at least one other video in which Blythe tells his black belt students that they can do anything they want within the dojo. The video clip of the fight is unmistakably violent. The local man, claiming to be a priest and an expert in martial arts, says he wants to demonstrate some moves: "I just wish to teach you. I don't wish to hurt you . . . I'm not a fighter."

Blythe sarcastically talks about the man's qualifications and then steps away to let the black belt spar with him. After a few mutual blows, the black belt overpowers the man, who appears to give up -- he says, "You're good" -- before he is taken to the ground, kneed in the head, slammed into a metal pole and then stomped.

Chuck Feldbush, a retired Prince William police detective, was working a uniformed patrol beat in the Dumfries area in 1984 and said he knew Blythe and the victim. Feldbush, who could not remember the victim's name, said the man was a vagrant who lived in the woods near the dojo. The man occasionally was the target of a nuisance call, someone who would sometimes try to take food off people's plates at the Pizza Hut or steal just to get caught so he could spend some time in jail, where he would be guaranteed a roof and meals.

Feldbush saw the man in the days after the incident and noticed him limping.

"You could tell he had been beaten severely," Feldbush said. "He wasn't very cooperative and didn't want to pursue charges."

Although police had heard that there was a video of the incident, it did not turn up until years later, sometime in the 1990s. Feldbush said that if the video had surfaced in 1984, he certainly would have pursued it "as far as I could take it."

"There was some egregious behavior on that video," Feldbush said, adding that he saw it for the first time in recent days. "And it has caused a fervor because of what people have been saying about it. You have an African American male beaten into the ground and he's allegedly murdered and the police did nothing. That's as far from the truth as you can imagine. They've weaved quite a tale here."

Staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.
Jim:

With all due respect, I find that article to not answer a number of disturbing questions.

1) I think that everybody could agree that the teacher was/is a disgrace to the martial arts world at best, and most likely warrants the filing of criminal charges.

2) There are reports that some of the students in attendance and maybe the police chief's wife was in the school at the time of the incident. If that were the case, many questions regarding the police department's due diligence in pursuing that incident are still not answered.

3) If this person was psychotic, then the issue of ability to file charges is raised. That incident then should have been referred to a district attorney.

At the end of the day, a crime was clearly committed by more than one person. The person who carried out the assault, the person who authorized, encouraged and supervised the assault, and the people who did nothing to stop the assault from happening. Of course, the facts will be difficult to tease out. At a minimum, a serious investigation into the people there and the police department need to be carried out.

Marc Abrams
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #58
Jim Sorrentino
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Hi Marc,

FWIW, I did not intend the article to be the last word on the subject. I posted it in order to get more information out to those reading the thread.

Jim
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #59
Nikopol

The only thing worse than the lack of morality and spirit of these two "martial artists" is Mr, Dennis' pathetic fighting "abilities". Stomping someone while screaming "motherf***er", enraged because he fell over due to his own lack of balance? I see a Japanese flag in the background. Were these numbskulls in any way accredited by a legitimate martial arts federation? While criminal charges should definitely be pursued, I can't imagine any would tolerate this.

My insight into Budo is that it teaches, as a matter of social responsibility and necessity, how not to fight, before teaching how to fight.

That is why we begin training with mokusou. Society can not tolerate or allow warriors who lack self control.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #60
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Oh, those horrible awful violent karate people, not like us peaceful enlightened aikidoka.
I don't think the Martial Arts had anything to do with this...

Karate and Aikido are tools and can be abused just like any other "weapon"

This is a case of a sociopath plain and simple and I'll bet he's dead or in jail...

I don't care how evil or badass someone is...sooner or later your number comes up.

William Hazen
Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #61
AllanF
China

Well after reading what many people have written on this i finally got to see it...and i wish i hadn't.

Only one word...vile!

Hope those involved get theirs.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #62
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

My God - the gasping for breath at the end -

Let them visit MY dojo.

"In the end there can be only one"

www.AikidoFellowship.com

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.