Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Marketplace

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #26
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Comprehensive Yoseikan Budo book in ENGLISH!!!

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Thank you both! I've done the Tai Sabaki no Kata a couple of times with my friends and never recognized that all the tai sabaki movements were included in the kata, rather focusing on receiving the throws (a couple of which can be pretty darned scary ukemi). Thinking back while considering Mr. Orange's description triggered my memory of the movement. Can't wait to get the book....maybe today.
There was a great feeling in doing the katas created by Minoru Mochizuki. I loved doing tai sabaki no kata, jutsuri no kata, hyori no kata, and ken tai itchi no kata. Each one had a distinct personality and a round, smooth flow. Excellent kata. Careful with those sutemi!

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #27
Stormcrow34
Dojo: Yoseikan Budo
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
The sutemi waza are seriously dangerous. You have to be good to take the throw, but you also have to keep mistakes in mind and unexpected things because a sutemi waza is full commitment. You really have to be able to take whatever comes.

Edgar's just 40. He's got a way to go before he peaks, I believe.

If you really want an idea of what can be done in later years, though, you should also invest in a copy of Transparent Power, by Tatsuo Kimura, and read the life story of Yukiyoshi Sagawa. He was a student of Sokaku Takeda from age 11 until Takeda's death in 1943, many years. He trained with Takeda in far more depth than Morihei Ueshiba and he had a different opinion of what aiki is. That's a great book as well.

Best to you.

David
Thanks for the advice on sutemi ukemi.

I wasn't implying that Mr. Kruyning is an old goat, I was implying that I was an old goat, and that the idea was nice that in budo there is a place for everyone. That's basically the gist of what I meant to say about that.

I've read some about Sagawa in Mr. Pranins book; "Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu: Conversations with Daito-ryu Masters". But I will add that one to my list right behind; "Hidden in Plain Sight", by Ellis Amdur. I just cracked that one open yesterday evening and I was up way too late reading last night...

Happy Landings!

Last edited by Stormcrow34 : 08-25-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #28
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Actually, I feel more confortable doing ukemi from sutemi waza than some others, like shihokoshinage... Wonder if it's just me, but tori gains full control of uke during a sutemi, so ukemi basically consists on let go. Or maybe I'm completely wrong here, but at least it's how I feel when ukemi-ing for sutemi!!

Only 0.02 worth...
Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Just received my copy this afternoon and it's worth every penny! I plan to buy a few more copies as gifts. My only complaint is that it should be a hardcover book as it will be an important addition to my library.

As for the sutemi ukemi, they are both scary and dangerous as Uke. For me, the key is tucking my head and trying to relax every fiber of my body. Resisting, from my very limited experience, is both futile and dangerous as it can be. For someone not accustomed to taking falls, some of these sutemi would be crippling if not fatal.

I recommend the book without reservation.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
darin

Thanks David. I just ordered my copy. It will probably take a few weeks to arrive in Australia.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #31
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Just got my copy today! Wow, it's a great compilation!! Worth all the waiting, for sure!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Darin Hyde wrote: View Post
Thanks David. I just ordered my copy. It will probably take a few weeks to arrive in Australia.
Get that yet?

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com
Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #33
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Just got my copy today! Wow, it's a great compilation!! Worth all the waiting, for sure!
Edgar does a great job, all around. That's why Mochizuki Sensei liked him so much.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #34
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Edgar does a great job, all around. That's why Mochizuki Sensei liked him so much.
Edgar did ask me to extend his appreciation to all who have expressed interest in The Art of Jujutsu and especially in Minoru Mochizuki Sensei's old Shizuoka way. He thanks everyone for the kind comments and especially, of course, for purchasing the book.

Best wishes to all.

In budo.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.