Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #26
NagaBaba

Re: Who's eligible to teach Aikido? And what level a sensei should be?

Quote:
Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. wrote: View Post
I'm not really enthusiastic about studying a modified, localized version of Aikido. I want to experience the true Aikido. And it seems I have very low chance of meeting my goal in Ukraine.

So, I guess I'll think twice before joining a local dojo.
One option will be move to the country where you can find an aikido shihan. Other option will be do frequent travel to Japan to learn aikido directly from a shihan.

So you can experience 'true aikido' If you have high level in Sambo, you don't have too many choices I'm afraid....

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #27
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I gotta be honest.

Drew, I have no idea where you were going with that one
The idea is simple; his rank is fire marshal, teaching safety, but he does more harm than good. Ergo, his rank cannot be taken seriously.

Drew
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #28
Ivan Lezhnjov Jr.
Ukraine

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
One option will be move to the country where you can find an aikido shihan. Other option will be do frequent travel to Japan to learn aikido directly from a shihan.

So you can experience 'true aikido' If you have high level in Sambo, you don't have too many choices I'm afraid....
That is something I've also been considering lately. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that if I have a high level in SAMBO (which is not really the case) then I don't have too many choices though.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
That is something I've also been considering lately. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that if I have a high level in SAMBO (which is not really the case) then I don't have too many choices though.
Don't worry, Mr. S can be quite ambiguous at times. I don't know what he meant either.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #30
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I think before you think of such a drastic step as moving to another country, it would be quite a sensible thing to study aikido at the local dojo at whatever level they offer instruction...

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #31
Ivan Lezhnjov Jr.
Ukraine

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
I think before you think of such a drastic step as moving to another country, it would be quite a sensible thing to study aikido at the local dojo at whatever level they offer instruction...

kvaak
Pauliina
Sure but the point is that it is not ONLY aikido that attracts me in another country and it's not very likely I'd move only because of it. I have many reasons to contemplate moving to another country and aikido is only one of them.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #32
NagaBaba

Quote:
Having a good level in some MA sets your requirement very high for the quality of instruction in aikido. As a consequence, you can't study with instructor that has a low quality of skills. You can judge well his level because of your previous training. If you judge that the quality is too low in your local dojo, the only options you have, is to traveling to Japan or move to another country.

There is an old saying from Himalaya: the most important part of MA training is to find the right teacher.

*If you consider moving to another country, Montreal should be your first choice Excellent aikido teaching there.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #33
Suru
United_States

"No matter where you go, people are people, and the sky is the sky."

--Jubei, "Ninja Scroll" (one of the sequels)

Drew
Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #34
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
The Aikikai sets a general rule that the leader of an organization has to have the rank of 4th dan. So the person of 5th dan rank technically clears this condition. However, this a 'paper' condition. I myself know Fujita Sensei very well. I have taken ukemi from him for about 20 years and can see the technical quality of his senior students. I do not know the 5th dan in Kiyv, so I cannot form a judgment.
Hi Peter,
It's been a while, hope you are well. I was down in Hiroshima for 1 night over Easter, but unfortunately didn't have time to stop by Did visit a very nice onsen down near Miyajima though, and did get two weeks with Nakao Sensei in Kobe

With regards to the question here, in addition to the Aikikai requirement that Peter mentions regarding the leader of an association being a minimum of 4th Dan (awarded by the Aikikai). They also state that "The relevant Aikido organization has more than one holder of 2nd dan of Aikido or above, who will assist the Person in Charge in establishing the committees for instructing and dan/kyu grading examination."

It can therefore be deemed that 2nd Dan is eligible to teach under Aikikai guides.

Having said that, there are many independant dojo's not affiliated to the Aikikai that have their own rules, and as previously mentioned above, I believe it's more to do with the instructors experience and ability to communicate the teaching, not what dan grade he has.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #35
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Aikido is essentially a voyage of self-discovery so in one sense the rank of the sensei doesn't matter.

As long as you can learn basic movements and then develop them you're on the right path IMHO.

I'm rather long in tooth now (in Aikido terms) and remember a small group of us training on our own supplemented with as frequent visits as possible to a high ranked instructor, returning to the dojo and trying to perfect what he had taught over the next few months.

It maybe takes longer to become proficient (however you define that) but you get there in the end.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #36
Scott Stahurski

United_States

I think teaching boils down to three things.

1. The proficiency of the techniques they are going to teach.
2. The ability to teach...some people just dont feel comfortable in front of groups.
3. The willingness to teach. They may be 'X' rank, but if they dont want to teach class is going to stink.

Now proficiency is a double edged sword. The instructor may have seen or learned something at a seminar and would want to explore it further....so they are themselves learning. Exploring new ideas are always a part of aikido. Not everyone does a technique the same....how many times have we all encountered different shihonage?

Teaching is a part of learning. Plain and simple. When helping another person with a technique, how much insight have you learned by doing this?

I'm not sure a 2 dan is the right rubric for teaching....how many different 2 dan promotion requirements are out there? USAF to Hombu are greatly different in terms of hours.

So I leave it up to the person to decide what works for them for a class setting. If they can learn better from a 5th Kyu than a 2 dan, then I'm all for it....and hopefully the 'bad' instructors weed themselves out.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #37
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I've been pondering on starting learning Aikido for years. I'm 24 and I've been very, very interested in it since the childhood when I was doing SAMBO (САМБО). SAMBO is rooted in judo as you might know and it relatively resembles Aikido except I find Aikido even more fascinating for various reasons.

First of all, who's eligible to teach Aikido? I'm really concerned with the probability that there are dishonest people who pursue not the art but some other goals. No, I don't have any premise to think that people teaching Aikido in my town are dishonest and deceive their students. I just want to make sure that someone who says he can teach Aikido is really eligible to do it and is actually teaching Aikido. I hope you see what I mean here...
Hi Ivan! Nice to make your aquaintance. My personal view on qualifications for teaching is that there is no real way to be sure. You can check out a teacher's lineage, but that doesn't always mean anything unless you've already got familiarity with the lineage itself. Also, there's no guarentee that the individual teacher reflects the strengths and weaknesses of that lineage. I think that because you have some prior experience in a martial art it can help you since you have something to reference it with. Then again, that could also potentially give a bias which makes it harder to appreciate the lessons you might learn. So I guess I'm left with repeating, "it's hard to say for sure."

Quote:
What level a sensei should be to effectively teach Aikido? It's a common sense that a more experienced someone is at something the more effectively he/she will be able to teach you. But really I think I feel uncomfortable with the idea of someone being a teacher while still being actually a student himself.
I would argue the best teachers are devout students, but my answer is that there is a gradiant involved here. I am basically not very good at Aikido, but I can teach some basic form and simple ukemi principles. One of the things I really like about my experiences learning Aikido is that the other students serve as quasi-instructors. I remember getting a variety of pointers from a variety of other students and it was great because I could compare them and internalize what seemed to work best for me. Of course, I always deferred to sensei's instruction, but each partner I trained with provided a sort of case-study for me to consider and I believe it is that individual consideration which really allows a person to learn best. That is to say, how you internalize the lesson and make it a part of your personal learning process is what I think is most important.

Quote:
What I mean here is that most likely in my town the guy who teaches Aikido has 1st, 2nd dan max. This is really the case. The highest rank Aikido practitioner in Ukraine is 5th dan, Kiyv the capital of Ukraine.
One school's shodan is another school's nidan. In my short experience with Shodokan I was taught by a nidan and sandan (2nd and 3rd degree). They were both truly great teachers in my opinion.
I hope that helped somewhat.
Take care and good luck!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #38
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Well Peter gave a pretty good assessment in regards to your actual situation. [he has helped me as well get a better feel for the structure of things where I live here in Hungary...]

Here is my experience, which is not to far from yours due to some of the facts that Peter brought up in his post.

When I started my instructor was 1st kyu.
Last April, I believe, he received his shodan.

While I have read many comments questioning the ability for someone to teach at Shodan, I can say that Im sure my instructor could pass as a belt or 2 higher if he were to go stateside, etc.
[he has been at this approx. 11+ years, so that is one reason]

Also, our Sensei, Imre Marton, appears to have been given his 5th Dan recently from what I understand. Since his dojo is quite far away, I only get to train with him at seminars... [which one starts tomorrow.]

Point is, actually a couple of things, of which people have already pointed out:

- some may have the skill but not the teaching abilities
- you need to see for yourself what you think, in the end its up to you whether you feel you are getting anything from it or not.

As far as the organizational bit goes... sounds a bit rough, but I understand your concerns. As of now, I do not believe there is a Hungarian organization linked to the AikiKai [political reasons from how I understand it...], but it appears all of the shodans and above are linked to Tamura sensei. [which helps]

Anyway, whatever you do, enjoy.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!