Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: To achieve enlightenment through Budo must one devote themselves entirely to one

To achieve enlightenment in budo, one must simply devote one's life to budo.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #27
dps
Re: To achieve enlightenment through Budo must one devote themselves entirely to one

Quote:
Nick Porter wrote: View Post
Chop wood, carry water.
Zen Proverb
"Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water. After enlightment: Chop wood, carry water."

Zen Proverb
"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."

Zen quotes by Master Nan-sen

"What is the path? the Zen Master Nan-sen was asked. Everyday life is the path, he answered."

David

Last edited by dps : 06-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Cephallus
Dojo: judo only at the moment
United_States

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Brian, you might consider that the state you want to enter is already inside you, and that there's nothing to achieve. And the only thing keeping you from realizing that state - is you. Or at least the "you" that you identify with as your personality, ego, things you identify with, rules and conditions you have made - or have heard about, hurdles you put in the way...

If you put the state "out there" and "at some point in the future," it will always remain there for you.

You can realize that state now - in this moment.

To realize the state you want... there is no diet, no martial art, no set of movements or body positions, no guru, sensei, or teacher that will get you even one inch closer. If you choose to train, to have a healthy diet - or even to have a certain car and live in a certain place - that is because you choose the experiences you want to have in your life.

Enlightenment is not an additive process - it is subtractive. It is merely a return. It is the getting your lower self (personality) out of the way, and allowing your higher self (soul) to function through you. We do not "become" divine beings. We already are. It is merely up to us to realize this. You are not your job, your car, your martial art, your belief system...

There are countless maps any of us can use if we have eyes to see and ears to hear. The first book of Genesis is not a story about a long time ago; it is a subjective journey in consciousness. The 'fall of man" is the fall of you - into matter. The story of Jesus dying on the cross is not something that happened 2000 years ago; it is the subjective story of you getting up on the cross and the dying of lower self, and you become the Christ. The chakra system is the same map. When we live directed by the lower three chakras, we live bound in matter. As we open the fourth chakra (heart), that is exactly the same process as dying on the cross. The cross itself is a map. Other maps would be the Tree of Life (Kaballah) - and if you look at Hebrew creation cosmology and Taoist creation cosmology - it's exactly the same thing. And you can find this in all the major religious writings of the world. And you can find maps in the new western physics. And there are maps right under our noses in the every day languages that we speak.

To give you a map a little closer to home, and concerning aikido and Ueshiba Sensei...his big "aha" "transformation" moment that occurred, happened as he realized that there was nothing outside of him... no people..no opponents...no enemies....no god/s...no universe. He collapsed the walls of duality that bound him, and realized "I am the universe." After that, he was not trapped in matter

Enlightenment - means to become light. You can call it a light being, avatar, divine being, ..or whatever you want. Some call it god, God, Christ, Krisha, Buddha - the name is not important.

Transformation - is to transform (step up or down) in energy. In your return - you remember yourself. And in doing so, are no longer bound by matter (look up the origin of the word "matter" - it means mother). The idea or "map" of being "born again"/ "twice born" is that we leave the mother (receptive) and return to the father (creative). We are transformed into light - e.g. "enlightened" and begin to operate and understand higher truths and universal laws.

Ueshiba Sensei studied war arts and fighting and enemies... until he came to the realization that there were no enemies, no fights, and no wars - outside of ourselves. And after his transformation, we see a very different Ueshiba. We see a man who had direct knowledge that he was 100% responsible for his experiences, actions, and the world he was creating.

What if you realized - right in this moment - that you are more than you ever thought you are? What if you shed your coat of matter, and put on a coat of light? What if you realized - right in this moment - that there is absolutely no-thing outside of yourself? What if you realized - right in this moment - that everything you perceive is of your own creation?

Enlightenment is not a static process. It is dynamic. And exists only in this moment. All this moment is - is now. And to grab something from the Huna healing system from Hawaii - which is always and eternally true - your moment of power is now.

There's a Zen saying: "Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water." Now, for some this might sound discouraging, because we might think, well, jeez, I'd sure hope that after enlightenment things would be easier on me and maybe I wouldn't have to do all that mundane stuff - like chop wood and carry water. But the very encouraging thing about it - is after enlightenment - you don't chop wood and carry water. But the wood still gets chopped and the water still gets carried.

How about this idea, Brian; I didn't type out this message to you. You did. And yet it would seem that you did no-thing. And that would be quite true. Because there is no-thing to do. You did nothing, and the message still was created - by you. The wood still gets chopped and the water still gets carried.

Cheers : )
In other words, the heart sutra...

This is a great commentary, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it...thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
Taj Mikel
Dojo: Aikido Institute of New Mexico
United_States
Thumbs up Re: To achieve enlightenment through Budo must one devote themselves entirely to one

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Enlightenment is not an additive process - it is subtractive. It is merely a return. It is the getting your lower self (personality) out of the way, and allowing your higher self (soul) to function through you. We do not "become" divine beings. We already are. It is merely up to us to realize this. You are not your job, your car, your martial art, your belief system...
Several thumbs up

-Ty A. Knight
Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Brian, you might consider that the state you want to enter is already inside you, and that there's nothing to achieve. And the only thing keeping you from realizing that state - is you. Or at least the "you" that you identify with as your personality, ego, things you identify with, rules and conditions you have made - or have heard about, hurdles you put in the way...

So true. No reward, no goal, no ambition will get you "there".

Yamaoka Tesshu had a doka:

Where two swords meet
Throw off illusion
Abandon yourself
And you will tread on the living path

Cheers,

Russ
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #31
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Russ Qureshi wrote: View Post
[i][b]
Yamaoka Tesshu had a doka:

Where two swords meet
Throw off illusion
Abandon yourself
And you will tread on the living path

Cheers,

Russ
Thank you, Russ.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #32
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Enlightenment is kind alike my car keys - if I spend all my time searching, I'll never find either. Relax, stop searching so hard, and THEY will find YOU.

"In the end there can be only one"

www.AikidoFellowship.com
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #33
aikilove1
Dojo: Ten Shin Kan

Hello Brian,

I hope you will find my reply to your question useful as i had a common dilemma much like your own in years gone past. I am a member of a research group of aikido, part of a school that looks at all aspects of aikido and related budo, from a historical, modern and technical viewpoint, regardless of style or system or sensei, in an effort to gain an unbiased perspective of what aikido is and have an appreciation of all styles of aikido.

Being a member of such an organisation, i reached a dilemma as to who was teaching the real aikido, who had the best technique ect, and above all, what was the true meaning of aikido, and how do i really get to the core of it? Its a very confusing business! Especially in todays world with so much conflicting forces and ego's intent on being right.

So, i went back to basics, the best thing to do is to keep it simple!
As Morihei Ueshiba said....Techniques are just things. He also said....I am not teaching you martial techniques, i am teaching you non violence. And....Dont fiddle about with this and that technique, step in and act without reserve.

The problem with modern day aikido (especially in the west), is that many practioners have become intent on mastering aikido by mastering technique alone, putting most value on perfection of technique and forgotten the fundamental basic principles of what Morihei was talking about, he even remarked before his death that no-one seemed to be following the path he laid out for them.

Aikido by its very nature is a martial art that was developed from Morihei's connection with the way or spiritual path, the very techniques of aikido are an expression of the way through him, what you see in Morihei's art of aikido is manifested from connection with divine being in accordance with universal law, connection with your own divine being (the real self) should be your primary training in aikido, as it is from this that aikido manifests itself in its true form, it is from this that we develop a true sense of harmony, we gain real freedom and connection with the world, and waza manifests itself freely in accordance with what is required. Aikido is based upon the laws of nature, it must feel 100% natural for yourself, it is an art of overcoming yourself, it is about uncovering yourself, your real self, not in how to throw people with maximum precision in as many different ways possible, yes master technique, but primary attention must be with spiritual development. Aikido is a connection with mind, body and spirit, a harmony of all 3 simultaniously in the moment, beyond time and space. For this to happen, proper training in developing hara is essential, it is the cornerstone of aikido and most other japanese traditions. All real masters past have shown that by returning to our own vital centre and to our true selves, one can open the door to true spiritual development and move towards enlightenment. Morihei referred to his belly (hara) as his jewel of perfection.

It is important to look at aikido from a wholistic viewpoint if you wish to get the most out of it, and not be put off by the approval of others. As O'sensei said, follow your path according to your own inner light! By far, the most important teaching from Morihei and how he summed up aikido is ....Masakatsu agatsu (true victory is self victory), the overcoming of oneself in order to reach the way, this goes for any form of budo, it is what is at the heart of budo that counts!

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.