Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #26
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Advice on Carrying a Weapon

Just remember that whatever weapon you choose to take, like the others have said, make sure you can use it. If you can't.... then don't take it. More often then not, situations like that end up with you being the one injured with your own weapon, which doesn't sound too fun to me.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #27
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
There are many arias of the US that one should not enter lightly. If you are not from these arias, you can not knowingly enter them.
Heck, you can't even sing in some of them. (Sorry, Chris.... it's a weakness I have)

Mark, I take your point about the ammonia and it was just a suggestion. There are a number of liquids, most of which would be deemed actionable in a court case if someone wanted to sue. But that simply puts us back to the 12-men, 6-men part of the discussion. The idea of a liquid in a spray container was just my attempt at suggesting something light, feasible, and effective for someone travelling on a bicycle trip. Nothing more.

Best.

Mike
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Oh, c'mon, Ron.... you *enjoy* walking home naked.

Mike
Well, um YEAH, but don't tell anyone *I* ever admitted that!
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #29
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Area. My poor spelling coupled with just having woke up makes for poor communication skills.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #30
hapkidoike

Guys, I did not expect so many responses, and I appreciate them all.

The main issue with carrying a weapon is indeed where I will be going. Most of the time I will be in the northern US (Washington, North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, Wisconsin, . . . to Massachusetts) and then down the Atlantic coast to South Carolina. This is the plan at this point, but given that I am still 10 months out could conceivably change. I will be going into Canada at least once, and given that I will have to leave anything mildly dangerous south of the border. The Canucks can't have people protecting themselves. Anyway that is the proposed route, and like I said, it may change (and may change drastically) but that is where I am now.

I do think I will carry some kind of mace/pepper spray type substance. It will at least keep the dogs off, and I can mount it on my handlebars. The mag light makes some sense assuming that I was in camp, but I worry about finding a way to access it while I am on the bike (or off) and it is in my paniers. I like the idea of a tazer, but am not sold on the idea.

Any more advice is appreciated.

peace
Isaac Bettis

Ich glaube dass mein Schwein pfeifen.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #31
Mark Kruger
Dojo: Aikido of Eugene
United_States

Quote:
Isaac Bettis wrote: View Post
Guys, I did not expect so many responses, and I appreciate them all.

The main issue with carrying a weapon is indeed where I will be going. Most of the time I will be in the northern US (Washington, North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, Wisconsin, . . . to Massachusetts) and then down the Atlantic coast to South Carolina. This is the plan at this point, but given that I am still 10 months out could conceivably change. I will be going into Canada at least once, and given that I will have to leave anything mildly dangerous south of the border. The Canucks can't have people protecting themselves. Anyway that is the proposed route, and like I said, it may change (and may change drastically) but that is where I am now.

I do think I will carry some kind of mace/pepper spray type substance. It will at least keep the dogs off, and I can mount it on my handlebars. The mag light makes some sense assuming that I was in camp, but I worry about finding a way to access it while I am on the bike (or off) and it is in my paniers. I like the idea of a tazer, but am not sold on the idea.

Any more advice is appreciated.

peace
Isaac Bettis
Right. Firearms are right out. The eastern seaboard is not very gun friendly and most states won't accept out of state concealed carry license.

Pepper spray is legal in all 50 states, but there are some restrictions. I assume that you are over 18. The active ingredient must be less than 2% for it to be legal in Michigan. Wisconsin requires that it be less than 2 oz. in volume. Massachusetts requires a permit for residents, but I assume that you aren't a resident. Canada... if it is labeled as "bear spray" it is legal.

Maglights and their smaller cousins are legal everywhere. Maglights make for a better baton, but you have to have it with you. This is the advantages of the smaller lights. A tool out of reach when you have to defend yourself is useless.

Tazers aren't legal for private citizen carry in several jurisdictions along your route of travel. For that reason, as well as the reasons I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't recommend them.

A plain folding knife like a spyderco delica or a benchmade mini griptillian is also another tool you can easily carry. It is very useful around camp as well. The pocket clip allows it to be in easy reach (clipped to a pants pocket or waistband). On the down side it is a _lethal_ force response. While disarming a small blade isn't as easy as popular opinion would have, some training will make it a much more useful defensive tool.

My advice: A small pepper spray canister that meets all of the requirements of the jurisdictions along your route of travel and a good flashlight.

Be sure to independently verify everything I, and everybody else, stated.

Respectfully,
Mark Kruger
Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #32
chuunen baka
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Hmmm ...

New age of rebellion and riot stalks Europe
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5563020.ece

Greek riots spark fear of Europe in flames
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5337633.ece

Riots in Eastern Europe as Crisis Bites
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...121_794144.htm

Riots scare Europe
France's immigrant rage could spill over
http://www.oxfordpress.com/hp/conten...108a_5REP.html

Economic Crisis: Riots Across Europe
http://pakalert.wordpress.com/2009/0...across-europe/

German trucker suspected of 19 murders in Europe
http://www.eubusiness.com/news_live/1174338001.47

Scotland has second highest murder rate in Europe
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/se...crime.scotland

Homicide in the World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide-world.png
(Note that some European countries are worse than some US states)

Violent crime-infested . . . Europe
http://hillbillywhitetrash.blogspot....ed-europe.html

Britain tops European crime league
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...me-league.html
"Overall, nearly one third of EU citizens said they were afraid of burglary and did not feel safe on the streets."

Portugal: Violent Crime Increasing
http://www.worldtravelwatch.com/08/0...ncreasing.html
Sorry but headlines about riots are really quite disingenuous. And public perception of the threat from crime always greatly exceeds, and rises faster than, the actual risk.

I wish I'd kept my mouth shut and just leave a bunch of aikidoka to discuss whether its better to shoot, club or spray an assailant.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #33
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mark Kruger wrote: View Post
Right. Firearms are right out. The eastern seaboard is not very gun friendly and most states won't accept out of state concealed carry license.
One of the nicer sites to check concealed carry laws for all states in the U.S. is here:

http://www.usacarry.com/

They have an interactive map that lets you pick your home state of carry and the non-resident states that you have carry licenses in. Then it shows you all the states that you are legal to carry concealed. Nicely done.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #34
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Now THAT is worthy of a book mark.
Best,
Ron
Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
One of the nicer sites to check concealed carry laws for all states in the U.S. is here:

http://www.usacarry.com/

They have an interactive map that lets you pick your home state of carry and the non-resident states that you have carry licenses in. Then it shows you all the states that you are legal to carry concealed. Nicely done.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #35
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Alastair Rae wrote: View Post
Sorry but headlines about riots are really quite disingenuous.
Really, how so? If you were travelling by bike a couple years ago, through the suburbs of Paris, you might want to be aware that the young immigrant population was burning cars, looting, and creating general mahem. My fiance was worried about her mom, who lived south west of Paris at the time. She did not consider it a joke.

Quote:
And public perception of the threat from crime always greatly exceeds, and rises faster than, the actual risk.
Quite so. I've seen more than one documentary that makes this point...local TV news often doesn't seem to have much to say, other than hyperinflated crime stories. Still, if you are a victim of said crime...

Quote:
I wish I'd kept my mouth shut and just leave a bunch of aikidoka to discuss whether its better to shoot, club or spray an assailant.
Nah, your perspective is as valuable as anyone else's.

BUT, please remember that we are speaking of someone travelling alone, for an extended period of time, on a bike (no fast getaways in the dark), camping outside, through many diverse areas. Personally, as much as I appreciate the self-defense applications possible from good aikido training, I would want to be armed in some fashion as well. And that is even with people usually finding another target when they see me.

When I go hiking or canoeing, I carry a staff and a rather large tanto. Not because I am afraid...I like and get along with most dogs and people. I do it because of the unpredictable nature of life, and the fact that I believe it is better to be prepared. I believe that is one point of my aikido training...be prepared. It is why my instructor insists that every test you bring all of the buki with you that you have ever tested with. If you bring your tanto and bokken but not your jo because the current test doesn't have jo on it, rest assured you will spend most of that test hearing kumi jo and jo kata being called. And when you don't remember that jo kata taught once six months ago...you will fail the test.

If that means that I, as an aikidoka, have to "[decide] whether its better to shoot, club or spray an assailant," at some particular point in time due to circumstances beyond my control...then so be it. right back at ya. My life and the lives of my loved ones are worth it.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 06-05-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #36
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Might I intrude in what appears to be a USA-based thread to say how totally bizarre this appears to a European? Choosing a weapon for a bike trip? The mind boggles.
I think the difference here lies not estimating the amount of risk, but rather in the fact that Americans are more comfortable around weapons than Europeans. I mean, in the U.S. there's people discussing if an assault rifle is covered by the right to bear arms and in the U.K. there's people arguing in favour of a ban on long pointed kitchen knives.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #37
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

It probably wouldn't be comfortable, but I would definitely look at wearing boots instead of sneakers. Dogs can be mean... and FAST!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #38
MM
United_States

Quote:
Sorry but headlines about riots are really quite disingenuous. And public perception of the threat from crime always greatly exceeds, and rises faster than, the actual risk.

Hmm ... okay, how about this article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

Britain worse than the U.S. for violent crime.

"The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609."

Now, read through the article. Headlines should always be suspect. Statistics can be used to show pretty much anything.

The moral is not to believe everything you read, whether you are in Europe or the U.S. Some areas (mostly cities) in both places can be dangerous. Some European cities have higher crime rates than some American cities and vice versa. Don't judge a country by the news media reports.

Mark
Old 07-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #39
gdandscompserv

United_States

How to shoot a handgun accurately.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!