Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Dan Rubin
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Talking "Deadliest Warrior"

Last night I saw a repeat of the premier episode of the neatest new TV show. It’s called “Deadliest Warrior” and it’s on Spike TV. The premise is so awesome! They do serious in-depth research on the weapons and tactics of various types of warriors throughout history and then they match them up against each other to see which is the best! Awesome! In the premier episode they compared an Apache warrior with a gladiator! Awesome! They had two guys who are experts in being an Apache warrior and they demonstrated how they use Apache weapons and tactics, and then some guy who’s an expert in being a gladiator did the same! Awesome! This was all in a scientific laboratory, so it was really serious. And then they put all this info into a computer program and the computer decided which warrior would win a one-on-one battle! Scientific! The best part was when the Apache guys and the gladiator guy kept dissing each other—Dude, I thought they would fight it out right there in the lab!

Well, the computer said that the Apache would defeat the gladiator, and then they showed how it would happen. I watched an Apache walking alone through the woods, which looked a lot like California but could have been New Jersey, and suddenly he meets a gladiator walking through the woods, and they fight, and just like the computer predicted, the Apache won, so I guess that validates the computer program!

Well, the next episode is Tuesday evening (repeated, I assume, on Saturday), and guess who will be featured? That’s right! A samurai warrior against a Viking! Awesome!

I won’t be able to see it Tuesday evening because I’ll be at the dojo. Of course, I could record it and watch it later, but why? Maybe I’ll see the repeat on Saturday, if I remember.

Note to those of you who get frustrated by threads comparing martial arts to each other: This show is so stupid it’s more funny than frustrating. The worst thing about it is that I couldn’t stop watching. I wanted to see which warrior was the deadliest!

If you Google “Deadliest Warrior” you’ll find a review from Variety (including a list of future hysterical matchups) and the premier episode on YouTube.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: "Deadliest Warrior"

I may never stop laughing.

Edit: okay, I take that back. This is serious stuff, because they're going to figure out who would win, a Viking or a samurai. I bet the Viking wins, because my grandparents came from Sweden and grandpa was a real butt-kicker and about a foot and a half taller than any samurai, so there.

Maybe we should start a pool? I love to gamble. I bet one Tuborg (can you even get that any more?) on the Viking.

Last edited by lbb : 04-12-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Bob Blackburn
United_States

Look for an Apache Warrior class near you.

Of course I will watch the Samurai episode.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
eyrie

Australia

Ha ha.. that was "entertaining"... My dosh is on the Viking... how about a pool for each round, and one for the winner of the final round?

Ignatius
Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Talking Re: "Deadliest Warrior"

I put my money on the Viking. No doubts.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
I put my money on the Viking. No doubts.
i saw that premier episode too, but not the end. i guess i should have stuck it out :P. the apache seemed very matter-of-fact when it came to explaining strategy, and the gladiator dude seemed very full of himself. it surprised me too that they didn't jump across the table and go at it

anyways, if the viking is the same viking from those capitol one commercials, then i go with the samurai
Old 04-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
DonMagee
United_States

My prediction with silliness like this is that the ninja will beat everyone. That's how it goes on shows like this.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
My prediction with silliness like this is that the ninja will beat everyone. That's how it goes on shows like this.
And you won't see him do it.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
mikeg

The real issue is whether the show will finally answer the ultimate martial arts question.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

!!!!!!!YESSSS!!!!!!
THE SAMURAI TOOK IT
Never a doubt right?!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

That was about as hokey as anything I've watched. Next week should be even better when they compare a Spartan to a Ninja. That was one hour of my life that I won't get back.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
Joseph Madden
Canada

Sorry. the Viking would have taken it in real life. If the Ninja wins next week, that will be the last time I watch the show.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
MikeLogan

United_States

Here is the failure of the internet: because this is not in the humor forum, I can't tell if people are joking when they support the viking. (That might be my failure, maybe[probably not ])

Consider: (This is what I would have written if Aikiweb hadn't eaten my previous attempt a few days ago.):

You are bringing the sheep in from pasture back to the paddock on the edge of your quiet coastal village. You notice an inordinate amount of noise&merriment coming from what passes as the local pub. On your way home from dropping off your sheepies, you are met by 3 large, armed men, who drag you along for a drink, as they would like to share the bounty of their conquest. You don't think you should refuse the 'invitation' and come along. They are merry enough, and your cup never seems to empty, a rare opportunity to drink freely on another's tab after a hard day's work.

You expected the hangover, and aren't surprised by the motion that the room seems to insist upon as you wake up. Though, opening your eyes against the unnatural brightness you realize you must have passed out out-of-doors, and someone was kind enough to cover you with furs. Then a spray of foam comes onto the deck, the creak of ropes... Looking over the rail, you have no sight of home;the captain welcomes you aboard, and thanks you for supporting their cause so far from home. You are now a Viking...

It seems to take a little more effort to earn the title samurai. Though that doesn't mean Vikings can't get lucky.

(didn't watch the episode)

Cheers folks,
michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

Yes! It's true, the show is a bit "Hokey" as Michael called it. I wish on these shows that they would bring in some true Masters.
The Kyudo guy was prettey good. But the gentle man wielding the Katana was clearly using strenght with his cuts. He barely hit the first tatami mat. They should have gotten James Williams or Toshishiro Obata or someone known for being a true master at that art. Oh well. It was just something to watch for fun. Just like watching 1000 ways to die.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
It seems to take a little more effort to earn the title samurai.
The only effort it took to "earn" the title "samurai" was being born into the right social class.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #16
philippe willaume

United Kingdom

Hello

Whoa that's cool
I have one question though how did they come up with how Viking or gladiators for that matter where fighting.
I just wonder because the sources are a bit sketchy to say the least.

Did we know what type of gladiator it was? And do we know how long it would take to grow a forest in coliseum because finding gladiator outdoor is not going to be easy?
(unless the apache is a friend of Crassus obviously)

About the Viking, was it a proto Viking, like 6-7th century Saxon, a Dane/Icelandic Viking, a Viking working for the Byzantine Varangian Guard?

You know all that makes a massive difference so it very important for any scientific study.
As we all know Icelandic Vikings like Icelandic banks, tend to take high risks and are more prone to collapse.

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #17
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
The only effort it took to "earn" the title "samurai" was being born into the right social class.
Very true. In fact before Hideyoshi's separation decree in 1588 you didn't even need that, if you said you were a Samurai, you were.
Especially during the Sengoku Jidai social mobility was exceptionally high.
Between 1467 and 1588 the entire ruling class was virtually annihilated, if you were born into a samurai family in 1588 it's more than likely that your grandfather was a peasant and quite probable that your father was also.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #18
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

I don't care how good the ninja is, pirates are better.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #19
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Son Goku wins.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #20
lbb
United_States

Viking vs. samurai is at http://www.spike.com/show/31082?refs...kdes=NET_spike

Next one looks like ninja vs. Spartan, not ninja vs. pirate. I'm gonna go with the ninja, I guess.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #21
DonMagee
United_States

I bet the king of persia is kicking himself for not getting ninjas.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

So someone took an argument we've been having since my Halcyon Days in the service "Vikings vs. Ninjas" and made a TV Show out of it???

Genius...

Not since the days of Godzilla vs The Monsters have I been so excited!

William Hazen

I especailly like the part where a COMPUTER predicts the winner. LOL
Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #23
lifeafter2am
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I bet the king of persia is kicking himself for not getting ninjas.
LOL!!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
Guilty Spark

United_States

So Gladiator Vs. Apache and Viking Vs. Samurai, who won out of the two?

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
lifeafter2am
United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
So Gladiator Vs. Apache and Viking Vs. Samurai, who won out of the two?
I believe that both the Samurai and the Apache were the victors.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches