Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Russell Davis
Cool Tough Talk, here is some food for thought

Hi everyone my name is Paul and at 50 years of age I think some of you will find this introduction interesting, hopefully NOT boring

I have had an extensive background in Martial Arts, culminating in developing my own system, but that is another story.
After boxing from featherweight to lightmiddle, then wado ryu karate, II went on to become an Army Aikido instructor back in the 80s. from there I went on to train 1 to 1 with dan grades of various arts; Muay Thai, Judo, Jujitsu, JKD/Kali, eventually I ended up back at Aikido training breifly with Sensei Coyle in Glasgow, However after an incident with some Royal Marine Commandos, I could no longer continue training there.

Having read some of the info in the forums, the pharse You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink! is relevant
as many of the questions posed, require even more questions to be asked, before YOU the individual, will get the right answers.
To get you started in the right direction, two questions you must ask yourself are;
1. What is Aikido
2. Why am I studying Aikido

As for fighting talk, it will suffice to say that we all have the capacity to kill, whether trained in martial arts or not, taking a life is not a pleasant experience even in kill or be killed situations.

For me Aikido is a shinning light, as is buddism. both deplore mindless violence and indeed the taking of life, but at the same time, we also have the right to defend ourselves in times of danger.
It is our "State of Mind", that will see you live or die, not your skill.

The gentle Art may appear to be useless in a fight, but as You learn Aikido "within the Box" you must also envisage applying Aikido "outside the box". unless you have a good partner willing to experiment, and you don't mind the occassional broken nose from backyard training.
I cannot emphisize enough the combat effectiveness of redirection combined with heaven and earth. (even against Kali people) the really hard part is closing the gap!

I hope this has not been too long and boring for you.

Russell Davis
C.Q.F.S. (close quarter fighting skills)

[Email; davis244@googlemail.com
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Voitokas

United_States
Re: Tough Talk, here is some food for thought

Welcome to the forum!

I am not an expert
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Russell/Paul,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

I'm a bit confused -- is Russell or Paul your first name?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Russell Davis

Hi Jun Russell is my first name, but most people call me by my middle name which is Paul

This is my fist time on such a dedicated site, so many discussions a great deal of food for thought, Since I first discovered Aikido I was already a regular exponent of various fighting systems, Aikido allowed me to express what I wanted to do, but in a far gentler manner, unfortunately I have neglected the spiritual element of my development for too long, which is why buddism has helped me to become more peacefull.

During my studies prior to CQFS (see blog) I found that drills within Kali were ideal for learning and understanding the application of Aikido more effectively than traditional methods.
Have you experienced anything similar?

Russell
Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Where are you located, Mr Davis?

Train well,

Mickey
Old 03-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Hi Sensei Davis and Welcome to the forum.

You say you taught Aikido in the Army in the 1980's?

May I ask when, where, and to whom?

Thanks and again welcome.

WIlliam Hazen
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Russell Davis

Lets get one thing straight. Mr Hazen, I ain't no self appointed ego maniac 10th dan or whatever. whenever and to whomever I teach its plain and simple Paul. Nor do I wear white pajamas or skirts, its everyday clothes, the kind you wear when some drunk or team of yobs think they can have a go.

Unlike 99% of you lot, I never went to regular classes, I sought out
guys of dan grade or higher, to get the knowledge I required

As for the Army, it is Not the A-Z of Aikido, simply arrest and restraint for riot control.
Osnabruck, Munster, Sennelager, are where I taught various units from various Regiments.
You might want to Ask Billy Blanks, where he got Tae Bo from, next time you see him or Steve Miller who works for him, or his former wife.

TWO people who have been most influential in my own development are Mr Paul Houston, Corby Nothants
Mr Bill Little now 7th dan I think
For independant opinion on my ability Ask
Sandy Holt, Bolton Muay Thai
John Craig, Scottish Muay Thai Assoc
Dan Innosanto (demoed elements and gave him my syllabus)

If you want to see what I have accomplished, I refer you to the previous post.

Seems like if anyone here has an ego, you ought to look in a mirror.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Russell Davis

Michael Gelum, is that a challenge?
Were you to arrange a seminar in your town, the money raised would pay for two air fares
If you think what I have accomplished is rubbish, I will happily pick up my sword and do battle
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Russell Davis

ADD ONI have just been reading over the articles again, and again, and again, and again. I am extremly sensitive to any kind of critisism or sarcasm for my efforts spanning many years, bumps bruises, blood, and the occassional broken bone.

do I owe you all a mega apology for over reacting, please let me know.

I imagine O sensei had the same problem when he first started to try and recruit students for his Aikido,

NOT that I am trying to recruit or promote anything, just trying to give you sufficient information, to let you know I have some degree
of skill, knowldge, experience. inside and outside of Aikido.

I will try to engage brain before waffling again.

MY SINCERE APOLOGIES IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE,

iF I was right in my assumptions, then refer to previous.

Last edited by Russell Davis : 03-21-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Russell Davis wrote: View Post
Michael Gelum, is that a challenge?
Were you to arrange a seminar in your town, the money raised would pay for two air fares
If you think what I have accomplished is rubbish, I will happily pick up my sword and do battle
I think my post here will the second last on this thread.

Bets. Anyone?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
mickeygelum

United_States

Mr Davis,

I would sincerely like to thank you for the greatest gift anyone could present...a heartfelt laugh. I was just curious where you were located, as we travel quite a bit. Again, Thank you, Mr Davis.

Side note...Our seminars, addresses and cellular number are online,
I am accessible 24/7... please, feel free to share your knowledge.

Train well,

Mickey
Old 03-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
mickeygelum

United_States

Mr. Davis,

I would like to thank you for the second greatest fulfillment of my life... another heartfelt laugh.

You gave up too much info on yourself, and it was amusing to track it so easily. What a relief to find that you were not a member of OUR Army. Do you speak fluent German? You are welcome!

If you ever venture to the United States, please feel free to come and visit any of my schools. I will put you up, kick your arse (as you say in Britain) and then help you shape your character to that of a proper member of society.

Until then, long life and train well,

Mickey

PS... Black and Tan, or Half and Half?

Last edited by mickeygelum : 03-22-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: mispelled my own name I was laughing so hard!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Russell Davis wrote: View Post
Lets get one thing straight. Mr Hazen, I ain't no self appointed ego maniac 10th dan or whatever. whenever and to whomever I teach its plain and simple Paul. Nor do I wear white pajamas or skirts, its everyday clothes, the kind you wear when some drunk or team of yobs think they can have a go.

Unlike 99% of you lot, I never went to regular classes, I sought out
guys of dan grade or higher, to get the knowledge I required

As for the Army, it is Not the A-Z of Aikido, simply arrest and restraint for riot control.
Osnabruck, Munster, Sennelager, are where I taught various units from various Regiments.
You might want to Ask Billy Blanks, where he got Tae Bo from, next time you see him or Steve Miller who works for him, or his former wife.

TWO people who have been most influential in my own development are Mr Paul Houston, Corby Nothants
Mr Bill Little now 7th dan I think
For independant opinion on my ability Ask
Sandy Holt, Bolton Muay Thai
John Craig, Scottish Muay Thai Assoc
Dan Innosanto (demoed elements and gave him my syllabus)

If you want to see what I have accomplished, I refer you to the previous post.

Seems like if anyone here has an ego, you ought to look in a mirror.
Look Dude...I simply asked in order to see if we knew some of the same people...I was polite and respectful...

As for the rest of your chest puffing rant Thank you for not wasting anymore of my time...I will just put you on my ignore list.

William Hazen

PS Your Apology is accepted.

Last edited by Aikibu : 03-22-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
...If you ever venture to the United States, please feel free to come and visit any of my schools. I will put you up, kick your arse (as you say in Britain) and then help you shape your character to that of a proper member of society.
Thank YOU Mr Gelum,
can I get you to write my Xmas cards?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai

My wife and I would like to thank all the participants in this thread for the laughter the various posts provoked from us!

Not naming any names here but somebody needs to take a deep breath, calm down and smile before answering any more questions. (Or you could go on defiantly challenging folk to sword fights - its been good for a few laughs so far...)

Chuckling as I go...

Jon.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."

Please visit our sponsor:

Long Island Asian Studies Center - Classes: Aiki Budo/Chi Gong/Tai Chi, Author of: Searching For O'Sensei