Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
EddieHaskel
Dojo: Windsong Dojo
United_States
Houston Area Aikido

Good Morning Everyone!

I have been given the opportunity to spend a couple weeks in the Houston area. I would love to visit at least one dojo while I am down there. I currently study in a school that came from the Fugakukai Lineage and while I could (and likely will try) to attend a class or two in the same lineage I would really love to attend a class or two in some other lineages to get a taste for what other schools have to offer and to also gain some fellowship with aikidoka outside of my discipline.

I would be ever so grateful if maybe a few of you could point me in the right direction. I'd like to call and talk with the school and make sure it's alright to come and participate as well as allow them to get a feel for who I am as well.

I will be staying near the Northwest Corner of the Outer Loop if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Andrew Westerman
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Houston Area Aikido

Hi,
We are located at 17111 Kieth Harrow in West Houston. We have several people, (at least 3) practicing in our dojo of your lineage although Wilkensen Sensei on Bingle is not too far from you either who is of your lineage. We are open every day of the week and if you are game, I will be there at 12 noon today giving a class. We also have classes tomorrow night. Check the calendar and map at www.shudokanaikido.com

Best wishes,
Jorge Garcia

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Andrew Westerman wrote: View Post
Good Morning Everyone!

I have been given the opportunity to spend a couple weeks in the Houston area. I would love to visit at least one dojo while I am down there. I currently study in a school that came from the Fugakukai Lineage and while I could (and likely will try) to attend a class or two in the same lineage I would really love to attend a class or two in some other lineages to get a taste for what other schools have to offer and to also gain some fellowship with aikidoka outside of my discipline.

I would be ever so grateful if maybe a few of you could point me in the right direction. I'd like to call and talk with the school and make sure it's alright to come and participate as well as allow them to get a feel for who I am as well.

I will be staying near the Northwest Corner of the Outer Loop if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Andrew,
We have two hours of class tonight from 6 to 9pm. Saturdays, the adults train from 11am to 1pm and then we go to lunch somewhere in the area. If you are still here on the 16th, my teacher from Japan will be here in Houston for a week. He actually arrives on the 12th but we are going to another city in Texas for 4 days before returning to Houston. Come on over as our guest!
best,
Jorge

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
EddieHaskel
Dojo: Windsong Dojo
United_States

I really appreciate the answers and the invite. I will be in Houston next week and the week following. I leave this Sunday afternoon so it appears I will be around for the opportunity to meet you and your folks, along with your teacher from Japan. I greatly look forward to meeting you and yours. I will shoot you a pm sometime this morning or this afternoon and we'll go from there.

Once again, Thanks for the hearty welcome. I look forward to the time with you all!

Andrew Westerman
Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

given where you will be, Jorge's school makes a lot of sense and I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

I am sure Wilkinson Sensei and his students will welcome you as well. http://www.aikibudo-aikido.com/

Your welcome to visit us as well, but we are a long drive from where you will be.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com