Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2002, 06:16 AM   #26
Johan Tibell
Dojo: Aikido Dojo Gamlestaden
Quote:
Originally posted by Mares
Coming from an Iwama Ryu dojo I would say the first three techniques to concentrate on are

-Tai no henko
-Morote dori kokyu ho
-Suwari waza kokyu ho

Then Shomen uchi Ikkyo omote and ura waza
I agree but also read my post above about what O-Sensei thought (at a certain point of time). Understanding why he said what he said might prove useful.

- Johan
Old 03-06-2002, 09:19 AM   #27
Paul Clark
Dojo: Yellow Springs Aikido
If you're looking for a way to "study" outside of class, learn the Japanes names, and refresh/reinforce your memory of techniques, try this iwama-ryu website for a teaser:

http://www.ysaohio.com/

Click the "Test Requirements AVIs" like on the lower left. These are (most of) the techniques required for testing at our dojo for the first few tests, so may be ideal for you. There's a video clip of each technique that you can watch as many times as you like. Please note as someone says above, be careful of what style you're studying. These demos are all Iwama-ryu.

If that whets your appetite, Click the "Instructional CDs" link in the upper right corner. The 4 CD set can be had for about $80, and has video clips of hundreds of techniques of taijutusu, bukiwaza, and oyowaza, as well as a more complete set of test clips through ikkyu. A rough approximation of Saito sensei's whole Takemusu Aikido book series, but in full color and motion.

I sympathize with you, I had the same itch when I started. Hope this helps you scratch it.

gambatte kudasai
Paul
Old 03-11-2002, 08:39 PM   #28
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
I strongly second Paul Clark's recommendation of the Yellow Springs AVIs and the CD-ROMs that the dojo sells.

I bought a DVD player tonight that plays Windows Video format just to have a better platform for viewing them.

I also recommend Saito Sensei's Takemusu Aikido series. Unfortunately, volume 1 that covers ikkyo through yonkyo is out of print.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 03-16-2002, 11:18 AM   #29
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Dead Language unknown?

There us no way to instantly learn language, customs, and methods of another culture, but we try, none the less.

Like some of the other trees who practice Aikido, sometimes my head is as thick as me arms, legs, and middle aged Buddha belly? So, don't force your brain to strain, it will become second nature as time passes.

One, two, three, four ... ich, ni, san, shee will find their way into your brain and be second nature. You might even sometimes use them by mistake in daily life.

In the meantime, immitate! It is the sincerest form of flattery, isn't it?

Just having fun getting into the flow of movement will be enough work. Sometimes I think that we cover the basics too much, as every couple of weeks our instructor goes back to basics when he see's sloppiness by some of us trying to get to the pin too fast without taking time to appreciate the beginning and middle of a technique. We can't all videotape each pratice, but watching a class always helps allign the mind.

Many times, because of balance illness, I am forced to stop in the middle of the class because the room is spinning, but then as I get level and get caught up on what the class is doing, I see figure eight, also infinity symbol, or the circular movement, or the rowing motion, or the whip motion that we try to use to describe the many of the hand movements in techniques.

My language of japanese terms still isn't what it should be, but putting together different body areas, simple numbers, and doing them thousands of times will make it happen.

Then some fool will describe them in another language, and your brain will explode ... just kidding?

Start with one, two, three, entering, and rotary throw ... the rest will come.

Have Fun!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!