Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Sam Barnes
Dojo: Chelmsford Essex
Location: Standon
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
United Kingdom
Offline
Unhappy The Different Styles of Aikido?

Could somebody please tell me about the different styles of aikido, as I am not sure what class to look for ?

Many thanks

Sam
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Voitokas
 
Voitokas's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 377
United_States
Offline
Re: Hi all. Bit of help for a new-boy?

Welcome! I think that, especially just starting out, the most important thing is to find a dojo where you feel comfortable. It's definitely worth the time to attend classes at any nearby dojos - teaching styles, class composition, and good mix of levels are all probably more important than style. From my point of view, anyway. Have fun!

I am not an expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
James Edwards
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 76
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

It might be easier if you tell us the types of dojos available for you. Every teacher also have their own styles even if they are within the same organisation. It's a good idea to watch a class at each dojo before joining as well.

The main branch of aikido is the aikikai organisation. As everyone points out, it's not a style but sort of an umbrella. But they tend to follow the teachings of the Ueshiba family (e.g. Doshu). So they focus on the basics and universal movements in aikido.

In the UK (I'm assuming that's where you are), Chiba sensei (who was O-sensei's uchi deshi) also established his Birankai organisation. It is still under aikikai and recognised under the aikikai hombu dojo but with slightly different syllabus, more emphasis on weapons work and a more martial approach. It reflects on Chiba sensei's aikido.

There's a list of Birankai dojos here:
http://www.britishbirankai.com/index...d=17&Itemid=32

There are also other clubs in the UK with affiliations to Iwama style of aikido. This reflects on the teachings of Saito sensei who was also a very close student of O-sensei. This style also emphasises on weapons work and from my understanding also utilise kiai in their practice.

Another style of aikido is the Yoshinkan style established by Gozo Shioda. It reflects on O-sensei's early teachings. So it looks more direct and linear. The harder style of aikido and what the Tokyo riot police elites train in.

And of course there is the ki aikido created by Koichi Tohei. It is seen to be one of the softer styles and they focus on the advancement of ki development as well as aikido.

quick search on wiki gave me this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido_styles

Good luck on your search!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

Quote:
Sam Barnes wrote: View Post
Could somebody please tell me about the different styles of aikido, as I am not sure what class to look for ?

Many thanks

Sam
What are you looking for?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

Quote:
James Edwards wrote: View Post
It might be easier if you tell us the types of dojos available for you. Every teacher also have their own styles even if they are within the same organisation. It's a good idea to watch a class at each dojo before joining as well.

The main branch of aikido is the aikikai organisation. As everyone points out, it's not a style but sort of an umbrella. But they tend to follow the teachings of the Ueshiba family (e.g. Doshu). So they focus on the basics and universal movements in aikido.

In the UK (I'm assuming that's where you are), Chiba sensei (who was O-sensei's uchi deshi) also established his Birankai organisation. It is still under aikikai and recognised under the aikikai hombu dojo but with slightly different syllabus, more emphasis on weapons work and a more martial approach. It reflects on Chiba sensei's aikido.

There's a list of Birankai dojos here:
http://www.britishbirankai.com/index...d=17&Itemid=32

There are also other clubs in the UK with affiliations to Iwama style of aikido. This reflects on the teachings of Saito sensei who was also a very close student of O-sensei. This style also emphasises on weapons work and from my understanding also utilise kiai in their practice.

Another style of aikido is the Yoshinkan style established by Gozo Shioda. It reflects on O-sensei's early teachings. So it looks more direct and linear. The harder style of aikido and what the Tokyo riot police elites train in.

And of course there is the ki aikido created by Koichi Tohei. It is seen to be one of the softer styles and they focus on the advancement of ki development as well as aikido.

quick search on wiki gave me this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido_styles

Good luck on your search!
Oh! And don't forget Tomiki Shodokan aikido ......

titter!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
DCP
 
DCP's Avatar
Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Location: Land of Lincoln
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 135
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

FWIW- Just got back from a week-long seminar, and the shihan emphasized that he has no "style" of aikido and eluded that his students' aikido does not necessarily have to look like his-- as long as it's martially effective.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
James Edwards
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 76
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Oh! And don't forget Tomiki Shodokan aikido ......

titter!!
Oh noo
Sorry, didn't do that on purpose..

On addition to DCP's comment, I think everyone's aikido becomes different to suit themselves later on depending on their experience, teachers and the state of their body anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...t=17385&page=1

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
kernsales1
Dojo: Straightkicks
Location: Los Angeles
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
United_States
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

Quote:
Sam Barnes wrote: View Post
Could somebody please tell me about the different styles of aikido, as I am not sure what class to look for ?

Many thanks

Sam
If you've had any type of fight in the street, you'd know the best Aikido classes use pressure point attacks, and the non street fighting Aikido uses a more gentle way of fighting. The gentle way will take years before you gain confidence. The pressure point way is more effective. I was in a class where you never learned anything new because a new person would sign up almost every day, and since we all trained together, we all had to go back to the beginning. Years earlier, I was in a class where I was learning 3 new techniques a day. So, you need to know what you really want in a fighting art. Is it grace or the ability to really fight and win.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
kernsales1
Dojo: Straightkicks
Location: Los Angeles
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
United_States
Offline
Re: Hi all. Bit of help for a new-boy?

Quote:
Jeremy Morrison wrote: View Post
Welcome! I think that, especially just starting out, the most important thing is to find a dojo where you feel comfortable. It's definitely worth the time to attend classes at any nearby dojos - teaching styles, class composition, and good mix of levels are all probably more important than style. From my point of view, anyway. Have fun!
You are not giving a direction. You are advertising the ingredients in a cake mix, without helping them pick a cake. It's like someone asking for a bandaid, and you saying well there are different types of bandaids that you could use depending on the injury. You need to pick one bandaid and hand it to them. People need direction. For instance, I could bore you with all my experiences, or I could show you that one technique that will help you with that particular problem. So, do I generalize or customize?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Location: Three Lakes WI/ Mishima Japan
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 837
Offline
Re: The Different Styles of Aikido?

Hi Don,

Jeremy has given the best, clearest direction on this thread for Sam.

1.find a dojo where you feel comfortable

2.try out a variety of dojo before making a decision

Criteria to use to evaluate dojo: teaching style, class composition, and a mix of levels.

Fits my experience too!

Charles
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 6 Peter Goldsbury Columns 35 03-13-2009 07:16 PM
AikiWeb Raffle for Mary Heiny Sensei akiy General 68 05-27-2008 11:37 AM
Women and Everybody Else in Aikido George S. Ledyard Teaching 113 03-16-2008 08:27 PM
Aikido as External Art -or- Where's the Chewy Center? ChrisMoses Training 130 03-17-2007 04:21 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate