Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-24-2000, 06:03 PM   #1
deanj
Dojo: Aikido of Tucson
First off, i've read the FAQ's and and this forum about finding a school, and i'm also posting in the Chit-Chat area to help avoid possible flames for asking this type of question.
That said, does anyone on here have personal experience with a particular school/teacher in the Tucson, Az area?

I have started visiting the schools here, and have seen some differences, but nothing that big.(i still have 3 schools to go)
And i don't know anyone else in town who practices Aikido, so i can't pick their brain on schools.

So anyone with personal experience with Tucson schools have any reccomendations?
thanks
dean
Old 08-13-2000, 05:10 PM   #2
Robert Schuster
Dojo: Kokoro AikidoPrimary teacher(s):Shandstrom,2nd Dan Tae Kwon Do. Started originally in Tang Soo Do
Smile Tucson schools

I looked for awhile because I live in the southeast...Rita ranch. I checked into Kosho @ speedway by Pantano and it was like a smorgasboard of Martial Arts. I didn't like the fact that every hour a different style was taught. I really liked Kokoro off ft. Lowell north on Dodge and joined. It is a very traditional dojo and the students and instructors are great. Check it out

Bob
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Billy the Kid
United_States
Re: Tucson schools

Are you looking for a particular style? I hate the "smorgasboard of Martial Arts" schools too. I mean, what happened to traditional one art, one school way of thinking?
Anyway, since you asked, let me tell you about my experience in Tucson. I have jumped around from school to school feeling unsatisfied. But I think I finally found one. The school I just joined is amazing! The teachers name is Cody Lewallen Sensei and he has been studying Aikido in Japan at the Tenshin Dojo(the school started by Steven Seagal)for over 11 years! His technique is so articulate and clean it blows away everything I have seen thus far. I am going to ask him to join this site so people can pick his brain, but until then, check out the dojo site at
www.shoubudojo.com
He doesn't have many students yet because he just came back from Japan, but I am sure he will do very well.
The thing I really like about him is that he is very traditional- he speaks Japanese in class, and serious, but at the same time he is so nice and uses a lot of levity in class.
Anyway, if you are looking for an Aikido school, I recommend Lewallen Sensei- I mean, do you want to learn Aikido from some guy that studied at the YMCA two nights a week, or a guy that did it every day for 11 years in Japan?!- at the school Steven Seagal opened no less!

Please visit our sponsor:

The Aikido of Shin-Budo Kai - A new book profiles Shizuo Imaizumi Sensei and the practice of SBK Aikido