Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
Mike Moore
Dojo: Las Vegas Aikikai
Triangle New Member

I am a new member to this community and it is a great pleasure to be able to read and learn about Aikido here.

My past in Martial Arts starts in 1977. In 1977 I trained in Cuong Nhu for a few years before my father was transfered. Since there where no Cuong Nhu schools in my area I started training in Shotokan JKA for about 5 years. I left Karate-Do for about 3 years then started back again in Shotokan Kenkojuko.
I joined the military in 87 to learn to be a better instructor and learn more about being warrior and give myself the discipline that I needed. I was sort of the un-disciplined sort even with years that I had spent in Karate.
Thats enough about my past.

To present day, today was my first evening in a Aikido. It was very tireing, I learned some Ukemi, Stances and moving in stances and positions. My mind feels like a wirl wind. So much to learn. A great deal of what I was taught was Etiquette and Dojo Procedure. Front rolls where the easiest while I had some struggles with back falls. I have not sat in Seiza in 15 years. My ankles where killing me.

I will say that I had alot of fun and cannot wait to go back. I also cannot wait to take a shower and plop into bed for the night.

I want to say thank you for all your terrific insights and I will continue to read what you all have to say to learn more. I do not think at this point that I can comment much on Aikido as I have a long path ahead of me. The hardest path for me is letting go of Karate-Do and loosing my ego.

Domo-Arigato-Gozaimashita

Mike Moore
Old 03-13-2002, 02:18 AM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Welcome Mike,

I'm relatively new here but everyone seems very open and receptive so please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Again, welcome and glad to hear you enjoyed your first aikido class.

Bronson

P.S. That whirlwind in the head thing never really goes completely away

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-13-2002, 03:57 AM   #3
ChrisDuSCAMB
Dojo: SCAMB/Beausset
Talking Re: New Member

Welcome Mike,

As Bronson said, don't hesitate to ask questions; The Aikido world is a great familly where you can found all helps you need.

I'm agree with you the Aikido way is a long path. Sometimes you will be disheartened because you don't arrive to perform a technic, but don't be afraid by this, it is normal. Around you, there are always people for helping you...

Each day, you can discover a new aspect of Aikido.

Bye,

Chris
Old 03-13-2002, 04:57 AM   #4
guest1234
Hi Mike,

Welcome to this little group and to the Aikido family at large

You picked a great place to learn, you can leave that dojo and go anywhere, and not run into an etiquette situation that is unfamiliar, or a technique you can't take ukemi for, or a cleaning task you can't tackle in the most efficient way... and I've yet to find a harder mat, including the times in the park. Oh, OK, concrete is harder. A little. Ginger baths and tei fu are in your future, I predict .

Letting go of things you know is always difficult, and sometimes scary. I'm sure you went through something like that in basic training, so I'll bet you make it through that period now with flying colors. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:19 AM   #5
thomson

Dojo: Sarpy Aikido Club
Cool Welcome

Hey Mike,

Wanted to echo everyone and welcome you. This is an excellent forum for young, old, new or experienced aikidoists. Everyone here is like a family. And Bronson is correct, that whirlwind feeling will never go away, especially during irimi-nage!

Welcome!!
Mike

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. - Sun Tzu
Old 03-13-2002, 08:37 AM   #6
akiy

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums! Please feel free to join in the discussions going on. Also, please keep up up-to-date on your current training progress, insights, and thoughts!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:31 PM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
welcome new member

Welcome to Aikido!

Don't be surprised if you eventually use almost all of your knowledge from Karate as you learn the pillars of Aikido. Many of the jujitsu techniques will eventually find their way into your practice, just like old friends.

As for Sieza ... Don't be in a hurry.
It took me over four years to get my butt to touch my heels, thirty years of standing while working, very, very stiff muscles of middleage didn't help. But it is starting to get easier.

If you look at Aikido from sparring standpoint, well, it will open up possibilities of kicks, punches, and other dirty tricks ... but this is something you keep in the back of your mind as you train until needed. There is so much to learn, read, and do ... especially if you like training and going to Seminars, one of my favorite pasttimes.

Have fun wandering about the many different Aikido sights, and welcome.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:54 AM   #8
MaylandL
Welcome to this forum Mike and welcome to aikido. I did a number of different martial arts (kung fu, karate and jujitsu) before I started on aikido and I felt the same way. Its very difficult to unlearn past training. I took an extended break from martial arts due to work commitments and I can sympathise with the aches and pains.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying aikido and hope that you get what you want to achieve from it.

All the best with your training.

Mayland

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches