Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Peter Bowyer
 
Peter Bowyer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

O'Sensei did not 'create' Aikido but rather he developed it. Aikido was already there but it took certain elements to be combined together to realize it and harness it.

Much like fire. Caveman didn't 'discover' fire...it was already there. What they did, however, was realize how to develop and harness it.

From what I've collected (which admitedly enough is over a relatively short period of time) is that the 'elements' I alluded to before was the dissatisfaction of clashing arts (of which O'Sensei was already a great master), the revelation of great spiritual power, and the comprehension that there are energies that we cannot readily see unless we commit to a lifestyle of compassion and unity...exactly what O'Sensei's Aikido is based on.

When you bow deeply to the Universe, it bows back. - Morihei Ueshiba
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #27
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
...but you used it in a religious context. If Ueshiba's spirituality became more profound and influential, due to the nuclear devastation, it is a religious context. Ambiguity is paramount in the professing of faith. God's work? While I never doubt ones' faith, I am critical of how it is used to manipulate and covet.
No I didn't. It signifies a conversion which may or may not be religious.

David
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #28
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Ambiguity is paramount in the professing of faith.
No, ambiguity is the main impediment to communications between humans; be it religion, martial arts, etc. Those who don't know (this reference is in general not to a specific person) may purposefully use ambiguity to try to fool others in thier profession of faith. But for most of us ambiguity comes naturally.
David

Last edited by dps : 12-10-2008 at 07:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #29
Nathan Wallace
 
Nathan Wallace's Avatar
Dojo: VA tenshinkai
Location: northern VA
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 67
United_States
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

It's kind of funny, if you ask a philosophical question you get a religious response, and usually an argument.
The fact is that none of us, not even those who were around him night and day his whole life, know why he founded Aikido.
He started his journey long before Aikido, in a way that many modern Aikidoka would sneer at, so it is obvious he changed his mind ATLEAST, once. He wasn't a god, he wasn't constant, he was a man. Subject to all the changes, growths, and decays of human life.
None of us are in his head no matter how hard we may study or research and no matter how much we think we know, all we have are theories. Most of which are probably based more on introspection. I'm willing to bet most of these responses have more to do with each individuals beliefs and personal reasons for training rather than O'sensei's.
Aikido isn't a religion, unless you make it out to be one, and O'sensei was a nice guy, a nice guy who could and did DEFEAT OPPONENTS IN COMBAT quite alot.
My theory is that Aikido is around because O'sensei wanted people to try. The Aiki the kokyu all that stuff is just part of the journey we should be taking. I think O'sensei wanted us all to be striving for perfection in whatever we do. Budo was just what he did. Why he wanted that I haven't given much thought to, but like I said, all I've got are theories.

Northern Virginia Tenshinkai Aikido
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #30
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Quote:
He started his journey long before Aikido, in a way that many modern Aikidoka would sneer at, so it is obvious he changed his mind ATLEAST, once. He wasn't a god, he wasn't constant, he was a man. Subject to all the changes, growths, and decays of human life.
Thank you, very nicely stated

Quote:
Aikido isn't a religion, unless you make it out to be one
Exactly.

Thank you for your input, Mr. Wallace.

Train well,

Mickey
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #31
GeneC
Location: Henderson,
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 370
United_States
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Quote:
Paul Wallace wrote: View Post
....The fact is that none of us, not even those who were around him night and day his whole life, know why he founded Aikido.
He started his journey long before Aikido, in a way that many modern Aikidoka would sneer at, so it is obvious he changed his mind ATLEAST, once. He wasn't a god, he wasn't constant, he was a man. Subject to all the changes, growths, and decays of human life.
None of us are in his head no matter how hard we may study or research and no matter how much we think we know, all we have are theories. My theory is that Aikido is around because O'sensei wanted people to try. The Aiki the kokyu all that stuff is just part of the journey we should be taking. I think O'sensei wanted us all to be striving for perfection in whatever we do. Budo was just what he did. Why he wanted that I haven't given much thought to, but like I said, all I've got are theories.
ON the other hand, any "celebrity" who left a legacy and ALOT of writings and followers and film, one can accurately determine their intent, even if it changed several times, which it did in this case.

There is no secrets to his bio, it's well documented and he even said what his intent was in several different ways. What's also obvious is the direct religion that's incorporated into his life and manifested into Aikido ( much like religion is incorporated into America's foundation). According to his bio, he was naturally competitive and took pride to be the best at whatever he did. He was destined( as much as Bruce Lee) to seek and develope his own MA. Much like Bruce Lee, he studied many different MA, (which Budo was a way of life in Japan at the time and every self respecting Nipponji practiced it) and took the best parts of each and eliminated what wasn't. Further, obviously his connection to the Omoto religion influenced him to base his practice in a religious context , a common practice at that time, of peacful resolution and mercy (not so common at the time). Also, most MA are based in weapons techniques, because that's what was prevalent at the time. So much so that the general consensus is that if weapons are removed from a MA, it removes the martial aspect of the art.

My point is that alot of what was developed was simply a result of what was done at the time, as many know that Japanese culture was/is very strict. So he developed a hybrid MA within the constraints of current Japanese culture of the time. imo.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #32
Amadeus
Dojo: Arendal Aikido
Location: Arendal
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 20
Norway
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Maybe he was bored

Love me, hate me, tolerate me or ignore me. I care!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #33
Nathan Wallace
 
Nathan Wallace's Avatar
Dojo: VA tenshinkai
Location: northern VA
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 67
United_States
Offline
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
ON the other hand, any "celebrity" who left a legacy and ALOT of writings and followers and film, one can accurately determine their intent, even if it changed several times, which it did in this case.

There is no secrets to his bio, it's well documented and he even said what his intent was in several different ways. What's also obvious is the direct religion that's incorporated into his life and manifested into Aikido ( much like religion is incorporated into America's foundation). According to his bio, he was naturally competitive and took pride to be the best at whatever he did. He was destined( as much as Bruce Lee) to seek and develope his own MA. Much like Bruce Lee, he studied many different MA, (which Budo was a way of life in Japan at the time and every self respecting Nipponji practiced it) and took the best parts of each and eliminated what wasn't. Further, obviously his connection to the Omoto religion influenced him to base his practice in a religious context , a common practice at that time, of peacful resolution and mercy (not so common at the time). Also, most MA are based in weapons techniques, because that's what was prevalent at the time. So much so that the general consensus is that if weapons are removed from a MA, it removes the martial aspect of the art.

My point is that alot of what was developed was simply a result of what was done at the time, as many know that Japanese culture was/is very strict. So he developed a hybrid MA within the constraints of current Japanese culture of the time. imo.
Very eloquently put, thank you for the response.

I understand he left a great deal behind to be studied, and I agree that this should be studied, but like my exact statement before...none of us were in his head. He did state his intent alot, but it may be that he was trying to get a thought out and we misunderstood it. You never know. I certainly don't mean we don't try to understand; all I mean is we don't 'know' for sure and evidance of this is there are so many ideas about what he wanted Aikido to be or do, or what he wanted in general. And I emphasize this beause I hope that instead of people accepting an individuals packaged theory on 'why he created Aikido' or trying to 'package a theory' of their own they'll do the research and find everything he said and accept that or not, you know, leave it broad; and use his own words to pass it along.

Just like you can't lose a fight if you don't fight; you can't missinterpret something if you don't interpret it. J/K by the way.

Also I think we all share that destiny, to gather everything we can scrap what we cannot use and essentially found our own variation of Budo. Thats what I meant in my previous post about 'striving for perfection'.

But I'm human I'll probably change my mind. lol.

Northern Virginia Tenshinkai Aikido
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correlation of Aikido and Daito-Ryu Waza John Driscoll Columns 28 08-04-2013 05:01 PM
Steven Seagal Interview ad_adrian General 45 01-15-2010 03:34 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 5 Peter Goldsbury Columns 69 12-31-2008 11:41 AM
AikiWeb Raffle for Mary Heiny Sensei akiy General 68 05-27-2008 10:37 AM
What Aikido is Not (IMHO) SeiserL Columns 17 12-24-2007 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate