Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #26
Amadeus
Dojo: Arendal Aikido
Norway
Re: Using martial arts as depression therapy?

Quote:
Carolyn Parkinson wrote: View Post
My friend is a very self-reliant type, and has aversions to therapy for very legitimate reasons. My initial, and continued, approach is to try to convince my friend that therapy is the best option, and necessary.
Hi Carrie.
Some depressions can have it's up and downs. At the downs the individual can be to passivisated by the disease to take the action needed to get help. At the ups the person might belive she don't need help because she's getting better. Getting professional help ain't as easy as it can seem for someone who's never been there.

A depression can be hard to explain, so the idea of explaining the condition to a professional can be frightening enough. Maybe bringing a friend or a family member for moral support could help?

Another problem can be accepting the disease. By talking to a professional you admit there is something wrong, and there is no way back: you are depressed. Can't just "shake it off" anymore, some dude who know everything just said you got a mental disorder. You are nuts ect. The stigma should not go unnoticed.

I'm way off topic...

Love me, hate me, tolerate me or ignore me. I care!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #27
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Carolyn Parkinson wrote: View Post
Like meditation can sometimes bring the benefits of relaxation and lowered stress levels and blood pressure, but it should be done for its own sake, not for its purported health benefits.
exac-a-tack-ly

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #28
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

Hi

"Like meditation can sometimes bring the benefits of relaxation and lowered stress levels and blood pressure, but it should be done for its own sake, not for its purported health benefits."

Why shouldn't it? I agree that meditation (for example) is a wonderful activity and should often be carried out "for its own sake", but why shouldn't one do it for the (purported) health benefits?? I enjoy aikido and I think I practice it "for its own sake", but I'm pretty happy about its physical and mental health benefits too!! Why shouldn't I be?

All the best

Stefan Hultberg
Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #29
aikishrine
Dojo: aikido of central new york
United_States

Hi,

I suffer from a severe Bi-polar disorder.
I take medication, plus i see both a psychiatrist and a psychologist
for psychotherapy. Both are helpful. However i get a lot out of my Aikido training that also helps me emotionaly. That being said it is very hard to get myself to the dojo at times, and when i do go it is sometimes very hard to get on the mat, but when i do get on the mat my spirits are lifted beyond compare, but that is a personal thing and should in know way be a diagnosis for someone else. Nor should anyone try to diagnose training as a cureall because it isnt right for eveyone and can actualy add to the frustration of your psyche, i have experienced this as well when people say just get on the mat and all will be better, but i will leave you with this "give it a try. because it cant hurt"

just my two cents
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #30
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
Hi

"Like meditation can sometimes bring the benefits of relaxation and lowered stress levels and blood pressure, but it should be done for its own sake, not for its purported health benefits."

Why shouldn't it? I agree that meditation (for example) is a wonderful activity and should often be carried out "for its own sake", but why shouldn't one do it for the (purported) health benefits?? I enjoy aikido and I think I practice it "for its own sake", but I'm pretty happy about its physical and mental health benefits too!! Why shouldn't I be?

All the best

Stefan Hultberg
I believe the idea here is that if one decides what something is about, or for , before even beginning the practice you'll miss out on what the practice has to offer independently. It will simply be a projection of self and not an entity unto its own.
Enjoying the by-products of practice is awesome. Deciding what they'll be before you start is something else.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #31
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
I believe the idea here is that if one decides what something is about, or for , before even beginning the practice you'll miss out on what the practice has to offer independently. It will simply be a projection of self and not an entity unto its own.
Enjoying the by-products of practice is awesome. Deciding what they'll be before you start is something else.
Hi

Amen, expectations & preconceived ideas bind reality rather than letting reality flow more freely into something that can be more wondrous than anything one's expectations can imagine.

I do enjoy the by-products though, especially the stretching of my stiff old arms!!

Stefan Hultberg
Old 12-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #32
GeneC
United_States

What difference does it make why a person comes to a practice. Isn't possible that they discover the "purpose" (by who's decree?) on they way?

I came to Aikido in a "round about way" ( from the hospital for heart attack, my cardiologist told me I either learn to calm down or start making funeral arrangements), so the day I was released I went and joined a T'ai Ch'i class and an Aikido class, as both demand relaxation and calmness in order to be effective. So tell me, what IS the purpose of Aikido? IS it a sin that I didn't come to Aikido to become one with Osensei's spirit and discover the secrets of the Universe? Maybe I'll evolve to that later(and maybe not). What difference does it make?

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 12-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #33
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Hi

Amen, expectations & preconceived ideas bind reality rather than letting reality flow more freely into something that can be more wondrous than anything one's expectations can imagine.

I do enjoy the by-products though, especially the stretching of my stiff old arms!!

Stefan Hultberg
No offense, but I think this attitude sells new folks short, implying that it's not possible for them to open up to other ideas from fellow students, the Sensei, Sempai and just being there and discovering Budo, et al, along the way..

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 12-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #34
Sy Labthavikul
Dojo: Aikido Academy USA of Alhambra
United_States

Quote:
Hi

Isn't this a preconceived idea itself?

---------------------------------
train as if the tengu will never visit, execute as if they already have
Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #35
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
No offense, but I think this attitude sells new folks short, implying that it's not possible for them to open up to other ideas from fellow students, the Sensei, Sempai and just being there and discovering Budo, et al, along the way..
I don't see a contradiction. In fact, that was exactly my experience.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #36
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
Hi

Well, I find it difficult to know clearly what exactly my attitude is toward many things. Know this, though - I agree with you completely in that one should "open up to other ideas from fellow students, the Sensei, Sempai and just being there and discovering Budo, et al, along the way" and I believe most people actually do this.

Many regards

Stefan Hultberg

Please visit our sponsor:

Mugendo Budogu - Dogi cut to specifically to wear with hakama!