Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
fnlstg
Dojo: The aikido centre nsw
Australia
Blush! sore feet / ankles when sitting in seiza

Can anyone give me some advice what stretches or remedies they have on overcomming this? I am new to Aikido, up to my sixth lesson and on the last lesson I could not sit in the seiza position at all, I had to sit cross legged. I just cramp up and my feet / ankles are very sore for days after the lesson and have been getting worst.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fnlstg : 11-14-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
United_States
Re: sore feet / ankles when sitting in seiza

this is very common--happened to me.
I would assume that--like a lot of folks, your feet/ankles will get used to it. I even experienced the chain from unusual sensation-to pain- to normal-- and then to a stage i didnt expect: that of my feet/ankles actually craving the posture.

Only 6 sessions in; you should give it more time before coming to any conclusions.

(PS, wait till you experience nikkyo for the 300th time!)

-good luck
Old 11-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Voitokas

United_States

You could look at how other people do it too - sometimes just little things like scootching your heels a little more in under your butt (rather than letting your butt sink too far between your feet) can take a lot of pressure off your knees. Sometimes if my feet are uncomfortable, I'll also just rise to live toes for a second and set back down, and my feet seem to arrange themselves more comfortably. As Dave9 said, it takes some getting used to; however, being 'very sore for days' after might make me nervous - where on your feet is it sore, and what kind of pain?

I am not an expert
Old 11-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. Learning to sit in seiza takes time. In my experience, sitting cross-legged only aggravates the knees. You would do well to check out a study Janet Rosen did on aikiweb on "Knees and Aikido." Good luck.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
CarrieP

United_States

It's definitely something you should talk to your instructor about if it is getting worse. You shouldn't feel like you have to sit that way to the point you are uncomfortable for days afterward. You should be able to sit comfortably.

Some questions about your situation: How long are you sitting in seiza in any gtiven class? Have you been sitting in sieza longer in subsequent classes? Or are you still sitting in seiza the same amount of time? It could be that because you are sitting in seiza for longer periods of time in class, it hurts more simply because you are sitting that way more.

I can't sit in seiza much past 10 minutes at a time at this point, even though I'm very flexible and have been training a year. But we're up off the mat so frequently in my dojo that there are few times in class where I'm in seiza more than 5 minutes at a time.

Stretching my calves and hamstrings helps me. Your instructor may have some suggestions for stretches.

Also, just sitting that way for a few minutes here and there outside of class to get used to the feeling has helped me. But only to the point where it just becomes uncomfortable, and certainly not to the point where it is painful.

Also, the first few months of aikido are painful. Especially if you are new to exercise, but even if you already have a good level of fitness, you will be working muscles you didn't know you have. This could just be some "delayed onset muscle soreness." Which can be as painful as anything.

Something else that may help you is to try to be observant of your body when you sit that way to try to find out "why" it hurts. Other than the obvious "I'm putting all the weight of my upper body on my feet and ankles."

For example, My husband, who trains with me, has huge difficulties sitting in seiza because of flexiblity issues and previous muscle development (was a fencer, has huuuge calves.

He pretty much balances his entire weight on his shins, and is unable to actually sit down. The fact that he's able to last as long as he does in that position is stunnig to me. If I had to sit like he does I could probably last 2, 3 minutes, tops.

Last edited by CarrieP : 11-20-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: responds better to original post
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Onegaishimasu. Learning to sit in seiza takes time. In my experience, sitting cross-legged only aggravates the knees. You would do well to check out a study Janet Rosen did on aikiweb on "Knees and Aikido." Good luck.
Mark
Mark, thanks for the plug.
My post-surgery, highly arthritic knee that I won't go into seiza with is actually pretty happy sitting cross-legged for the 5 to 10 minute lengths of time it takes to bow in, do some breathing exercises, or to sit and watch the instructor demo technique.

The cross-legged pose I've had orthopedic folks give me anecdotal stories of injury on is the lotus position with the legs really torqued to cradle each other, and that was a couple of examples of torn meniscus. Same way some very unlucky folks will tear a meniscus just getting up off the floor.

I think that for most people within the normal spectrum of health and flexibility, when it is a new position for them there is discomfort with seiza in various parts of the foot/ankle/knee/leg. This should feel like the discomfort accompanying ANY new body use/movement, and I advocate small slow incremental increases in time spent so the body can accomodate, rather than trying to tough out long sessions that can lead to chronic pains.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Sam Turnage

Dojo: Grass Valley Aikiki
United_States

I have the same problem and it is not time or not being flexible. ankles hirt bad. Just mix up your sitting and keep training.

don't agravate it.

"If we are wise, let us perpare for the worst."

George Washington
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
fnlstg
Dojo: The aikido centre nsw
Australia
Question Re: sore feet / ankles when sitting in seiza

Thanks for all the info, it is the top of my feet that hurt, there must be a muscle there or something. It even hurts when I stand on one foot and bend my leg back to my butt and hold my foot by my toes, as if you are sitting in seiza. The same section on my foot hurts

Please visit our sponsor:

The Aikido of Shin-Budo Kai - A new book profiles Shizuo Imaizumi Sensei and the practice of SBK Aikido