Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #26
mdsmith
Re: Need some advice/ insight on Commitment

Well, I decided not to jump into something on a whim this time. Thats usually what I do. I quit doing martial arts, then after a while I start jonsing really bad to get back into something, and end up making a rash decision. After some though, reading and advice from a friend I've decided to pursue aikido. I've come to realize that the only thing making me want to go back to kenpo is the black belt, and as many people have stated, the black belt isn't as important as the journey. The only thing I need to get over now is beating myself up over quitting in the past. Regret isn't very productive. I thank you all for your time and advice.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #27
diakonos
United_States

FWIW, I too questioned whether I could commit to Aikido again after dabbling for so long. I too am 29, and didn't want to start only to give up again. I decided it wouldn't hurt to go to one class, and see how it was. If I didn't think it was something I could stick with, no harm no foul.

The biggest difference this time (besides being a little older and less distracted) is the dojo itself. The group I train with are all very kind and our sensei's only motivation is to share this art he has a passion for.

I can't stress enough to try out a few different places and find the one you feel most comfortable with. This will be paramount in you wanting to go back.

-another matthew
Old 12-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #28
GeneC
United_States

I'd be asking questions( not trying to get personal, don't answer here, but to yourself) like did you finish high school? College? Are you married? A girlfriend? How long? Do you own a car? A house? Do you have any 'conditions' (ADD, OCD, Bipolar,etc{don't worry, I'm OCD with a touch of bipolar and recognizing is half the battle , meds and awareness is the other})? Could be that your not sticking to it has nothing to do with the MA. I play music too (self taught-guitar and harmonica), but nothing could keep me away from it. I had a passion for it even as a child. Never had a formal lesson, but I'd 'pick it up' by ear. I still play to this day. I get 'weird' if I don't. I'd say you just haven't found something you're passionate about. If you lose interest quickly, it could be a genius issue. Have you heard of Aspbergers?

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #29
mdsmith

[quote=Clarence Couch;221301] If you lose interest quickly, it could be a genius issue. QUOTE]

Lol, I wish that was the problem. I think you may be right about the finding something that I'm passionate about part, and OCD might be on point. I just have too many things that I want to do(aikido, kenpo, bass guitar, mandolin, ect.), and can't decide which to pursue. Then once I do decide on something, I obsess over it until I ultimately quit. So, I bounce back and fortht between everything, never really excelling at anything. I can do a little bit of a whole lot of stuff. I also tend to get bored very easy. Once that excitement of the newness of something wears off, I'm looking for something more exciting. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this problem and I'm probably just overanalyzing it

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com