Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
Dojo: Enso Dojo in Perth,Australia
Peter Byl

Hi. I've been doing Aikido (Iwamma) for a few years and have just recently
added Kendo. One reason I took on Kendo as well is because of the training. I believe it can help my Aikido.
In Kendo you'll receive an attack at full speed and you need to act fast to avoid being
hit and if you do get hit , no harm done. In Aikido such full on attacks are more dangerous
due to the fact there is no armour hence the attacks are less real . I'm sure real attacks are done
in Aikido dojos but not where I've been.
I know Kendo is more about attacking which is one thing that distinguishes it from
Aikido but when two Kendokas square off usually one will attack first forcing the other to defend
and then counter attack.
Could I have some thoughts/advice please.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: Peter Byl

My advice, it's best to take them both as their own separate activity and not worry about one art being an aid or auxiliary to the other. You are apt to look for things that aren't there, and ignore or miss things that you should be paying attention to in whichever art is your second preference. Or, the worst, you will see similarities that aren't really there and are ultimately pointless.

Both activities will allow you to develop general skills that will help you grow.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
Dojo: Enso Dojo in Perth,Australia
Re: Peter Byl

Thank you Cliff for your advice.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!