Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
elizondo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Offline
Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

I was wondering if anyone has read his book samurai zen?

I found the waking up exercises to be good but his techniques with the sword were awful and not correct. So before I try his other breathing and meditation exercises, I wanted to know more info on the guy and if its any good?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Quote:
Kourosh Ward wrote: View Post
I was wondering if anyone has read his book samurai zen?

I found the waking up exercises to be good but his techniques with the sword were awful and not correct. So before I try his other breathing and meditation exercises, I wanted to know more info on the guy and if its any good?

Thanks
Not read it. Conventional wisdom is: "Run away, run away!"

Judging from pics of Shaw and his histrionic face-menace machine, I agree.

(Not to mention all the academic stuff refuting the oft-repeated identity of Zen and martial arts...)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Keith Larman
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,539
United_States
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Run away is an understatement... You'd need a rocket car to get away fast enough... But if you must Samurai Zen is on Amazon. And if you look more closely you'll see you can buy used copies for under 1 dollar... I suppose that shows others were similarly unimpressed. I guess selling them for under a buck is better than just throwing the book in the fireplace, but not much... Frankly if I had a dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket I'd rather save it to use as toilet paper in a pinch than to buy his book.

Just one guy's opinion... YMMV.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan
Location: Portland, OR
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 51
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Frankly if I had a dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket I'd rather save it to use as toilet paper in a pinch than to buy his book.

Just one guy's opinion... YMMV.
I dunno, you could spend the dollar, then you'd have 50 some pages of toilet paper.

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Keith Larman
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,539
United_States
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Quote:
Tom Wharton wrote: View Post
I dunno, you could spend the dollar, then you'd have 50 some pages of toilet paper.
But I'd feel dirtier afterward than if I just used the dollar...

Seriously IMHO the guy is a loon.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Cady Goldfield
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 875
United_States
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Hey, be nice, fellas. Mr. Shaw was one of the most prolific writers for the MA magazines back in the '80s, when his domain was mainly taekwondo and that kind of thing.

Give the guy credit for reaching out into new areas of MA far beyond his scope! A man's gotta let his reach exceed his grasp in order to keep growing.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Buck
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 950
United_States
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Quote:
Kourosh Ward wrote: View Post
I was wondering if anyone has read his book samurai zen?

I found the waking up exercises to be good but his techniques with the sword were awful and not correct. So before I try his other breathing and meditation exercises, I wanted to know more info on the guy and if its any good?

Thanks
Being critical isn't a bad thing with stuff like this. You get bad information and the result could be harmful. Or you get up looking foolish.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Keith Larman
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,539
United_States
Offline
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Hey, be nice, fellas. Mr. Shaw was one of the most prolific writers for the MA magazines back in the '80s, when his domain was mainly taekwondo and that kind of thing.

Give the guy credit for reaching out into new areas of MA far beyond his scope! A man's gotta let his reach exceed his grasp in order to keep growing.

True. And on that note let me get back to writing my book "Zen and Self-Applied-Neurosurgery." Now, I wonder if titanium drill bits will work or if I'll need the cobalts... Only one way to find out!

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Book Review: Aikido elementair AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 0 09-15-2003 10:39 AM
choosing between good aikido and nice people Unregistered Anonymous 40 07-04-2003 02:42 PM
New Book Review: Angry White Pyjamas AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 0 11-27-2002 11:16 AM
Christianity and Akido *** Spiritual 56 08-26-2002 12:00 PM
Good book new insights. Reuben General 0 03-03-2002 07:59 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate