Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Hebrew Hammer
 
Hebrew Hammer's Avatar
Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
United_States
Offline
Sports/Olympic Fever

Wow...what a week...I'm a channel flippin, internet clicking fool...

I must admit after watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, I have a confirmed case of Olympic fever..Phelps, Team Redeem, a 41 yr old female Silver medalist (Torres)...the coverage by NBC/USA network is awesome...the only thing thats driving me crazy is the scoring in the Boxing...its horrible, open scoring and the point system is very inadequate and doesn't reflect the real nature of the fights...I feel sorry for many of the boxers putting out their all for naught. If there are any doubters if China has arrived as world power, you are indeed mistaken my friend.

Add into that, the UFC 87 which kept me clicking for updates on Sherdog all night. The 'Contender Muy Thai' which has been very impressive, I'm fortuante enough to train at a MMA gym so I plan on trying my first Muy Thai class this week. Should be painful.

And the "Piece De Resistance', the Mother of all that is right in the universe, Football season has begun!!!! My Chargers crushed the Dallas Cowboys but I cannot wait until the College season begins...I might have to invest in a Tivo this year.

Is anyone else having time management issues?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Shany
 
Shany's Avatar
Dojo: ISTA
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 164
Israel
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

I Usually only watch Judo, as I like it very much! ( 4 years left for london.. I wonder if i could make it )
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
dalen7
 
dalen7's Avatar
Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Location: Karcag
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 750
Hungary
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Totally been into watching the olympics - watched Judo and was disappointed that it felt like it didnt really go anywhere, per say.
The bouts seem short and most of it is grabbing each others gi...maybe the olympic boxing will be aired here, who knows.

- dont get me wrong for those who like the sport...but it feels like it is the middle part of an act...missing act 1 and act 3 so to speak.
Maybe that would be boxing for act 1 and BJJ for act 3?

Poor Hungarian Judoka girl got pounced on - but I think she went in with an injury from what I read.
100 - 1 (Dont know much about Judo, but was surprised to see the 1 point, as it seems typically people get 100 off the bat...or nothing at all.)

As for other sports...
Those gymnast = totally cool.
If I could jump up in the air and flip in circles...I would be beside myself.

To bad NBCs web stuff doesnt work for Mac OS X (if your not using an Intel machine...not even with 'silverlight') - but we have some decent coverage on Europ sport Live here.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 08-10-2008 at 01:56 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
Location: Orlando
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 153
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Luckily I have an intel machine since they are not broadcasting Judo or TKD here, two of the three sports I want to watch.


"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
dalen7
 
dalen7's Avatar
Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Location: Karcag
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 750
Hungary
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Andrew Hanson wrote: View Post
Luckily I have an intel machine since they are not broadcasting Judo or TKD here, two of the three sports I want to watch.

Yeah - Just went to my mother-in-laws, went to the NBC site on her PC, downloaded Silverlight - got all excited...

...and then it said only for the U.S.

And the BBC is only for Britain, etc.
Oh, well.

Im enjoying what I can catch on eurosport Live.
Kayaking is looking like a cool sport...

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
SeiserL
 
SeiserL's Avatar
Location: Florida Gulf coast
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,872
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

What do you mean, not everyone is watching television all day and night and catching what we don't see on the internet?

No time management issues, like the Tour de France, there are priorities.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

I am watching the olympics for the Martial Arts. Judo, Taekwondo, AND this year Wushu. Wushu was approved as a tournament, not a demonstration sport. It isnt even listed in the scheduals on NBC. I think it starts on the 21st to the 24th.


Although, I cant wait for Hockey to start back up again. Cant say Im much of a football fan though.


Connor

Last edited by Connor Haberland : 08-12-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Left something out

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Hebrew Hammer
 
Hebrew Hammer's Avatar
Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Connor Haberland wrote: View Post
I am watching the olympics for the Martial Arts. Judo, Taekwondo, AND this year Wushu. Wushu was approved as a tournament, not a demonstration sport. It isnt even listed in the scheduals on NBC. I think it starts on the 21st to the 24th.

Connor
I wasn't aware of Wushu being included either....I'm looking forward to catching some of that...hopefully it will be San Shou style scoring. Call it narrowmindedness but I hate the word 'Wushu'...I used to study Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu/Gong Fu...but Wushu just sounds so...uh...unimpressive.

Something about the Olympics brings out my competitive and emotional native...I found myself yelling at the TV last night at 1230am while watching the Men's gynmastics team almost win the Silver, then almost implode on the last event to hold on to the bronze! USA, USA, USA!!!!

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Hebrew Hammer
 
Hebrew Hammer's Avatar
Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
No time management issues, like the Tour de France, there are priorities.
Lynn,
Did you just compare the Tour de Steroids to the Olympics, the second greatest sporting event in the world (next to football)?

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware of Wushu being included either....I'm looking forward to catching some of that...hopefully it will be San Shou style scoring. Call it narrowmindedness but I hate the word 'Wushu'...I used to study Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu/Gong Fu...but Wushu just sounds so...uh...unimpressive.

Something about the Olympics brings out my competitive and emotional native...I found myself yelling at the TV last night at 1230am while watching the Men's gynmastics team almost win the Silver, then almost implode on the last event to hold on to the bronze! USA, USA, USA!!!!
Sweet. I would love to study Kung Fu, but sadly there are no schools around here that teach it. http://en.beijing2008.cn/live/pressc...505175_1.shtml

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_3621265.htm

http://www.newsgd.com/culture/cultur...0510140032.htm

A few links on the subject.

Connor

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
Location: Orlando
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 153
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
Something about the Olympics brings out my competitive and emotional native...I found myself yelling at the TV last night at 1230am while watching the Men's gynmastics team almost win the Silver, then almost implode on the last event to hold on to the bronze! USA, USA, USA!!!!
Am I the only a-hole that doesn't root for my own country? lol.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Andrew Hanson wrote: View Post
Am I the only a-hole that doesn't root for my own country? lol.
Nope. Ive been rooting for many countries this time around.....

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
Hebrew Hammer
 
Hebrew Hammer's Avatar
Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Andrew Hanson wrote: View Post
Am I the only a-hole that doesn't root for my own country? lol.
No Sir, although I am a 'Homer', I do love the underdog and go beserk for the no name athlete from Togo or Mongolia or wherever who becomes his/hers country's hero...people who train their whole life for a sport they love.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #14
dalen7
 
dalen7's Avatar
Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Location: Karcag
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 750
Hungary
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Andrew Hanson wrote: View Post
Am I the only a-hole that doesn't root for my own country? lol.
Ive been rooting for Hungary and China.

So far Hungary has 1 medal - they used to sweep the medals in certain events like fencing.

But the thing is Hungarians have been winning, just for other countries. (i.e., Austria won a medal and it was a native born Hungarian representing them.)

Typically talent leaves the country as I understand it.
1/3 of Hungary is living somewhere else. (About 5 million people leaving 10 million here.)

As for China...always liked the Chinese...
But so does America - Apple Computer, Nike, etc. all have their sweat shops there. Its ironic the negative comments I have seen on youtube and other places about the Chinese - its fun to use someones resources I suppose and then criticize them for human right violations...forgetting we are the main ones creating inhumane situations. (again, the American sweat shops.)

No, Im not anti- american. (Im American myself)
I just am not for patriotism... from any country.
The reason being is I see the world as to small of a place to have always the us vs. them mentality. Sure its fun for games, etc. - but in the real world we need collaboration and many a times prejudices get in the way and we get the silly issues which just happened recently in Georgia (the country) with Russia.

As long as we create these labels to separate us, we can be controlled - even if its not by some conspiratorial big brother - the control is the ego over us and not us in control of our own destinies.

Sorry if this doesnt read that well - but back to topic... "go Hungary and China for the 2008 olympics"

At least one of my teams are in the lead.

Actually I find myself rooting for all of them...they are quite amazing, and the fact you can give just one person the gold, when its so close...after all, ever heard of a bad day. Perhaps they should hold the olympics over a longer period of time...as to adjust for the chances of luck in the winning due to bad days, and other such adjustments. (i.e, home advantage, etc.)

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 08-13-2008 at 01:42 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Ive been rooting for Hungary and China.

So far Hungary has 1 medal - they used to sweep the medals in certain events like fencing.

But the thing is Hungarians have been winning, just for other countries. (i.e., Austria won a medal and it was a native born Hungarian representing them.)

Typically talent leaves the country as I understand it.
1/3 of Hungary is living somewhere else. (About 5 million people leaving 10 million here.)

As for China...always liked the Chinese...
But so does America - Apple Computer, Nike, etc. all have their sweat shops there. Its ironic the negative comments I have seen on youtube and other places about the Chinese - its fun to use someones resources I suppose and then criticize them for human right violations...forgetting we are the main ones creating inhumane situations. (again, the American sweat shops.)

No, Im not anti- american. (Im American myself)
I just am not for patriotism... from any country.
The reason being is I see the world as to small of a place to have always the us vs. them mentality. Sure its fun for games, etc. - but in the real world we need collaboration and many a times prejudices get in the way and we get the silly issues which just happened recently in Georgia (the country) with Russia.

As long as we create these labels to separate us, we can be controlled - even if its not by some conspiratorial big brother - the control is the ego over us and not us in control of our own destinies.

Sorry if this doesnt read that well - but back to topic... "go Hungary and China for the 2008 olympics"

At least one of my teams are in the lead.

Actually I find myself rooting for all of them...they are quite amazing, and the fact you can give just one person the gold, when its so close...after all, ever heard of a bad day. Perhaps they should hold the olympics over a longer period of time...as to adjust for the chances of luck in the winning due to bad days, and other such adjustments. (i.e, home advantage, etc.)

Peace

dAlen
Yeah, Ive been rooting for alot of teams--Great Britain, China, Australia, Canada, and USA.

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
dalen7
 
dalen7's Avatar
Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Location: Karcag
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 750
Hungary
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Connor Haberland wrote: View Post
Yeah, Ive been rooting for alot of teams--Great Britain, China, Australia, Canada, and USA.
Yeah totally, I am just floored to see the level of skill these guys have. Has me rather motivated after watching all of this talent.

There are some sports in there I haven't really thought about that I wouldn't mind giving a shot if I were to have the opportunity.

Need to keep working on the basics though to get back in shape. Im taking things a bit slower than I would have a few years back - so I dont sustain injuries along the way. But slow and steady wins the race I suppose - well at least in this case.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #17
Hebrew Hammer
 
Hebrew Hammer's Avatar
Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

OMG Phelps is freaking amazing...what a great race and Dara Torres had me screaming for her...ohhh...so close. What an exciting and entertaining olympics this has been. Wow.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 AM   #18
xuzen
 
xuzen's Avatar
Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 965
Malaysia
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

I like to watch women diving, soccer and beach volleyball... I think they have the most gorgeous face and 'ahem/cough' physique in the games.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #19
DonMagee
Location: Indiana
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,311
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

I wish they would show TKD on american tv. It would put a lot of pressure on the local schools to actually teach 'real' tkd.

That said, i've been following the judo as its posted online. Very fun to watch.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
xuzen
 
xuzen's Avatar
Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 965
Malaysia
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

A special shout-out to the Marathon runners... you guys/gals amazes me. I can never fathom in my lifetime how you guys/gals are able to run at those speed and at those distance. You are truly super-human.

I bow humbly...amazed.

Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #21
Hebrew Hammer
 
Hebrew Hammer's Avatar
Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
United_States
Offline
Re: Sports/Olympic Fever

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote: View Post
I like to watch women diving, soccer and beach volleyball... I think they have the most gorgeous face and 'ahem/cough' physique in the games.
Ok I'm with you brother, but the Russian Pole Vaulter was pretty fantastic too....

Things they need to do away with...any sport involving the word 'synchronized'....doing something in unison with someone else does not make you a good athlete.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2017 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2017 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate