Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Faith Lumsden
Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Question Hip Replacements

After many years of practice, and probably some sort of genetic predisposition, my hips have lost most of their cartilage and my mobility is increasingly impaired. My doctor recommends hip replacement and assures me that I'll be able to continue doing martial arts. He doesn't really know anything about aikido and our rolling and falling practices, let alone break falling. He uses a steel replacement because he says it holds up best for active people and says that Mary Lou Retton does gymnastics and others of his patients are horseback riders. Still, it's hard to imagine an artificial hip holding up and staying put.

Does anyone have experience with hip replacement? Yours or a training partner's? I'd rather have less mobility and what's become "normal" pain and stiffness than not be able to train.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
giriasis
United_States
Re: Hip Replacements

Quote:
Faith Lumsden wrote: View Post
After many years of practice, and probably some sort of genetic predisposition, my hips have lost most of their cartilage and my mobility is increasingly impaired. My doctor recommends hip replacement and assures me that I'll be able to continue doing martial arts. He doesn't really know anything about aikido and our rolling and falling practices, let alone break falling. He uses a steel replacement because he says it holds up best for active people and says that Mary Lou Retton does gymnastics and others of his patients are horseback riders. Still, it's hard to imagine an artificial hip holding up and staying put.

Does anyone have experience with hip replacement? Yours or a training partner's? I'd rather have less mobility and what's become "normal" pain and stiffness than not be able to train.
One of our Sandans, mid-30s, had a partial hip replacement. He has been able to train without pain. However, he does limit taking an excessive amount of breakfalls, and he used to take a lot of breakfalls.

He did have about 6-9 months of recovery before he could get back on the mat, but he was off the mat months before the surgery because the pain was so bad that he just could not take it anymore. He really put off having to go under the knife, but now is glad he did because he really had much more mobility and much less pain that he realized he was experiencing.

Hope that helps...

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Faith,

Here is a website called Dancer Hips which contains a lot of information and stories from dancers who have undergone hip replacements:

http://www.dancerhips.com/index1.html

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Faith,

If you have surfed around this website at all, you may have noticed that there was just a huge effort to raise money so that Mary Heiny Sensei could have a hip replacement. That all went extraordinarily well and she is now rehabing after surgery. She has a solid titanium replacement that should hold up to anything she wants to do. From what she has learned, the important thing is to do a thorough job with rehab and not get back on the mat too quickly.

I also know a much younger woman (late 30s, I think) in Baltimore who had to have both hips replaced due to a congenital problem. She trains hard regularly and takes full ukemi, etc.

Mary Sensei had a consult with a top flight surgeon in Seattle who seemed to have a very good idea of what was necessary in a hip replacement for future aikido practice. If you are interested, email me (garth@slaughterhousegallery.com) and I can get his contact info for you from Mary.

Cheers,
Garth
Old 07-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
James Edwards
United Kingdom

I read someone mentioning practicing with Tony Cassels Shihan who apparently only "has a plastic hip when taking ukemi" but moves like normal when he takes the role of tori.

It may mean that the doctor is right that you can resume aikido practice like normal but you probably have to be a lot more careful when you're receiving techniques.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Ewan Wilson
Scotland

Hi Faith,

I am no doctor and have never had a hip replacement but common sense suggests that after a sensible and lengthy period of rehabilitation, you should be able to continue training. Once your body has accpeted the foreign body, it will seem natural and most of the problem will probably be in our head! I imagine you'll favour your other side for a good while and take it very easy with the breakfalls which is completely natural and if it means your confidence rises then that can only be a good thing. As a Ki Aikido student, I imagine the sensei in my dojo would suggest concentrating on developing your flow of ki and allowing that to improve your technique, thus reducing the need to rely on physical force and adopting a lighter feel.

As I said I am not a doctor and am probably waffling somewhat! However, a couple of years ago a student in our class received his shodan after training for many years with an artificial leg, obviously there were necessary adaptations to his aikido but we are adaptable beings after all. Success in the face of adversity can be achieved with a positive attitude and patience.

I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

I had my right hip replaced just over a year ago. Ukemi is still a bit dicey, but I can move way better than I could in the months before the surgery.

My prosthesis is titanium (spike) and stainless steel (head and cup) with ABS plastic (lining the cup).

Good mobility generally, still rehabbing the muscles around the hip.

I cycle, walk to work every day, train about once a week (Just moved and haven't set up the dojo formally yet). Done some light hiking, 3-5 miles on the trail, nothing extreme, but not paved sidewalk either.

Went tubing on the Potomac this past weekend, and found myself a bit sore and stiff the next day, but otherwise, I'm engaging in most activities I'd want to.

If you want to talk, e- me at cgordon@the-dojo.com.

cg

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!