Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #101
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan
Re: Violence Under the Pretext of Love

I've just finished reading a biography of Ramanujan, and it struck me (to stay on-topic for this thread!) how Japan (and probably several other nations) seems stuck in a time-warp, equal to England (and many European nations I presume) in the Victorian and Edwardian age. Tough examinations with a purpose of their own twistedly evolved away from their original purpose ('examinations should have a level so low that they are harmless' is one famous remark on the Tripos by the mathematician G.H. Hardy), horrendous lording it over the juniors by the seniors, and the status of women rather lower than even current standards in Japan. All very interesting to see how the culture of the past binds us to this day---and remembering how much the culture of Prussia and England influences Japan (and its two militaries). I'm sure one could write many books on this subject---or at least a person such as Peter Goldsbury could :-)
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #102
Aristeia
New Zealand

Re the shornji vid - first of all I wouldn't get to worked up about the choke out - it's not that big a deal.

As for the pressure point knockouts.....I'm I the only one that noticed the supposedly KO'd students were actually ukemi-ing out of the strike?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #103
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu

Quote:
John Connolly wrote: View Post
Too many atemi to the ears...

Allen, yer write! Us'ns at the ol' Yammermotorpool is da beastie types and full o vinegar an' some other liquid usually.

Jer, I dig the construct of the kappo lesson in the SK vid. But that is a concussive blow with out a doubt. Repetition of that does lead to impairment. I think it's a bit cruel to show it off on a live subject. A dummy would work fine. I suppose the exception is if the uke was so disbelieving and wanted, directly asked for, a demo on himself (and understood the physiological implications). Then, I guess it's between consenting adults, so whatever. Dif'rent strokes and all that.
Sorry did not come across that even so I am in agreement with you...

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #104
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
Re the shornji vid - first of all I wouldn't get to worked up about the choke out - it's not that big a deal.

As for the pressure point knockouts.....I'm I the only one that noticed the supposedly KO'd students were actually ukemi-ing out of the strike?
That's how it works with a lot of those knock outs. The students are conditioned to get knocked out when X happens. That's how some less then reputable guys can knock out their students (and only their students) across the room just a glance.

The difference is I'm sure that a punch to the throat can knock you out, but it did look like they were hamming it up for effect.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #105
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

OK, so it's not a concussive blow. I don't know about you, but I always feel a bit of brain-rattle (Maybe it's because of my cavernous skull?) when I get a bum at the base of the neck. Still seems horribly unnecessary and cruel.

I'm sure you can all relate: We get so many injuries, some even chronic, from friendly practice, I just can't buy into guinea-pigging for a beating.

Jer, I figured I could count you into my bleeding heart campaign...
New T-Shirt slogan: "Save the Ukes" on back side: "Umm, no, I didn't mean ukuleles"

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #106
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

I think that was excessive, I've seen someone knocked out by that shot with MUCH less impact. But then I've seen people choked out in a lot less time than it took that guy too. Not my thing either way. But I'm all like peace n love n stuff...

edit: I also think it was dangerous to do that to a guy standing on a hard floor. If you're trying to show the effects or resuscitation techniques, have the dude sitting down before you bring the thunder.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #107
Christopher Creutzig
Germany

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
I have now heard of 2 separate cases in recent times where a very senior instructor punches someone in the intermediate ranks (4-6th dan) off the mat to teach some lesson.
I've recently heard of a Shihan who punished one of “his” 4th dan for different opinions on Aikido-political matters (at least that was the general impression some people who were there got) by completely ignoring his suggestions for graduating others to 2nd or 3rd dan at a seminar explicitly marketed as a graduation visit. People suggested by other 4th or 5th dan were graduated. Different level of confrontation, but the problem remains basically the same, I think.

Last edited by Christopher Creutzig : 07-24-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com