Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States
Broken Clavicle

Hi Everyone!

I broke my clavicle during Aikido training 1 month ago. I opted for the surgery (I did have a pretty bad spiral fracture/break) and it has now been 3 weeks since the surgery. My recovery has been really good and I have already been on the mat, although in a sling and only helping in a limited capacity with kids class. My doctor said it could be 6-9 months before I can take falls and roll again safely.

My question is: For those of you out there in the Aiki Community that have broken your clavicle and had surgery or not had surgery, what has been your experience as far as healing time? How long before you were taking rolls again?

Thanks much!!!

Faeth
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Broken Clavicle

Just be sure to wait until it's good-n-healed. Surgery makes some folks think they're more healed than they are. It will probably be more in the 6 month range than the 8 week range. Let it heal properly and you'll have a lifetime to do the stuff you love. I'm involved in motorcycling and snowboarding in addition to Aikido and lots of folks in both those sports break collarbones. You will be *able* to do a lot of the things you miss long before you *should* be doing them. The danger is that if you re-injure the area, a plate and a bunch of screws do a lot more damage than a bone. You want to wait until the bone is what's holding your shoulder together, not a plate.

Here's a story you should read. Granted this guy was on his 7th break, but he didn't let them heal properly, and look what it got him. Sad stuff.

Sorry to be a nanny, but I've seen way too many people (myself included) come back to training before it's actually healthy and safe to be on the mat.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog
Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Faith Hansen

United_States

Yeah I'm trying exceedingly hard not to overdue it. I'm still wearing the sling most of the time even though the doc said I didn't have to as long as I was careful. I tend to forget about the injury without it on. I really, really want to let it heal properly. I mostly just wanted some feedback from other Aikidoka, my doc doesn't really know what we do.

Thanks for the info. I was figuring that the 6 months would probably be right. Sucks a bit, but hey I do have the rest of my life to train.....I've just not been off the mat for more than a few days for 5 years. It's pretty weird. That's why I'm kinda "helping" (as much as a one armed, non rolling, non falling Aikidoka can) during kid's class. So I feel sane.

Faeth
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Spookin

Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States

I'm just curious... what were you doing when you broke it - falling/rolling?

Don

Southern Maryland Aikido Center, Member
http://members.aol.com/smdaikido/
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Faith Hansen

United_States

Hey Don,

I was helping teach kids class and was being thrown by my Sensei. It was a hanmi handachi technique, me standing. I tried to take a roll out of the technique (have no idea what it was, really can't remember, haven't asked) and couldn't get over fully (my hips got locked down and I couldn't push off to get any height). My shoulder slammed directly into the mat. We both agree it was just a weird occurance on both sides.

My facebook page has a bunch of pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1127616733

Faeth
Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Bryan Sproles
Dojo: NOLA Aikido
United_States

Have faith - You'll be back on the mat soon enough

Besides, for the moment you can at least show nikkyo, sankyo, yonko, kote gaeshi, maybe a few others...

-Bryan
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

OUCH!!!!!! I hope you heal FAST, Faith!

One of my teachers broke her collarbone taking ukemi a long time ago. I think she said it took 9 months to heal (enough for aikido, I guess).

Take it easy!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 07-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Best of luck and hope you heal quickly!
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Faith:

I would strongly recommend going to a Chinese medicine doctor to help with your recovery. Bone-knitting formula's , acupuncture, etc. can significantly hasten your recovery.

Marc Abrams
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

a friend of mine broke his in 3 places and it was about 9 months healing with residual soreness. He was thrown by a sensei demoing a ude hiji nage and did not let go of his arm and drove him straight into the mat. He was just visiting too.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
colin slider
Dojo: Aikido Shinjukai, Singapore

broke my left collarbone in late Jan this year - taking ukemi for juji nage for sensei, my trailing foot caught in his hakama and I plowed shoulder first into the floor

started teaching again in April and training again first week July - just going a bit slow and careful on my left side especially with locks but otherwise OK.

i developed a frozen shoulder while the fracture was healing but an 'aggressive' approach to treatment from my osteopath had pretty amazing results in a short time and I now have about 90-95 % of the range of movement i had before the injury with improvements continuing

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!