Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #1
gadsmf@aol.com
Dojo: Kokoro,Tucson
golden dojos

One of my ambitions, when time and money allow, is to visit and train at some of the best dojos with the best teachers. I would welcome people's advice as to where and what
are the top 5 or so dojos in the USA and the rest of the world. And of course you're not allowed to vote for you're own dojo/sensei.

DL Gadd
Old 01-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Re: golden dojos

Quote:
Originally posted by gadsmf@aol.com
One of my ambitions, when time and money allow, is to visit and train at some of the best dojos with the best teachers. I would welcome people's advice as to where and what
are the top 5 or so dojos in the USA and the rest of the world. And of course you're not allowed to vote for you're own dojo/sensei.
Billy Blanks.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:16 PM   #3
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by shihonage
Billy Blanks.
That would be right, if he asked about dogos.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:44 PM   #4
Carl Simard
One that I've always heard excellent comments and many praise is the dojo of Tamura shihan. However, it's in France... It may simply be a good opportunity to visit Europe at the same time...

by the way, here's the site of his dojo (in french however): www.ffab-aikido.fr/ena.htm You can certainly use the "translation" function of Altavista to read what is written...
Old 01-24-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Thats a very easy question for me:
Shodokan Honbu dojo, Osaka.

And if I'm allowed two choices, I'll visit the Shodokan twice!

Sean
x
Old 01-24-2002, 06:38 PM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Originally posted by gadsmf@aol.com And of course you're not allowed to vote for you're own dojo/sensei.
Quote:
Originally posted by gadsmf@aol.com Thats a very easy question for me:
Shodokan Honbu dojo, Osaka.
muffled screams - want to say something but I can't.

There are a few dojos I would like to visit some on reputation, some on personal experience, and some based on electronic discussions.

Top of the list I can not name.
Chiba in San Diego - closest I have come to the sensei I can not name. One seminar was not enough.
Tamura - impressed by the quality of his top students that I've trained with.
Chuck Clark - because we seem to see eye to eye and I would love to look him in the eye and feel what he talks about.
Yoshinkan Honbu - I've heard good things about the style and might as well go to the source and of course a friend teaches there.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-24-2002, 09:02 PM   #7
mle
Dojo: The Dojo (www.the-dojo.com

Quote:
One of my ambitions, when time and money allow, is to visit and train at some of the best dojos with the best teachers.
Can't vote for my own? Damn. That's no fun.

OK, but Im gonna cheat anyway. See below for US locations.

Hmm. Lemme see.

Ideal dojo:

Karl Friday, Kashima Shinryu menkyo kaiden down in Georgia. (He'll be here in Indy in May, probably)

Ellis Amdur (gotta love that Araki Ryu .. chains!!!)

Meik Skoss.

Hombu for Sekiguchi Shinshin Ryu jujutsu. Oh YEAH.

Kiyama Hiroshi's place. HELL yeah.

Oh, ideal AIKIDO dojo? Hmm. Places I haven't been ...

I hear Nishio Shoji is pretty damn interesting.

That guy who does Korindo Aikido in Japan.

Yamada's mat in NY.

Iwama (just to see what the ruckus is all about)

Hombu aikikai (just once, for the atmosphere).

The Takumakai.

More prosaically, places in the US I've been and wanna go back:

Ikeda in Boulder was lots of fun.

If the late, dearly missed, George Simcox were still around (Va. Ki Soc. in Merrifield)

Dennis Hooker's Shindai Aikikai in Orlando ('cause I love that ole wardog and he plays a MEAN banjo and we're gonna hunt morels in Indiana this spring!)

Frank Gordon's place in Glenwood Springs, Colo. Hope to see ya soon, cuz!

Jim Baker's place. (Coming soon to Virginia Beach, VA! Give Wendy a hug and kiss for me.)

Julian Frost's dojo (OK, he doesn't have one open yet but he damn well oughta!)

One ALMOST in the US:

Philip Akin's dojo in Toronto (Not because I like Yoshinkan, but because I like Philip and adore Janine!)

And one not in the US, 'cause Andy (Teapot) Wilby came across the pond to my wedding and aside from that he's HELLA fun to play with.

Andy Wilby's club in Freiburg, Germany. (Hey, Andy, I'm being considered for the job in Hohenfels!!!)

cg

Posting as MLE though she's MUCH prettier and sweeter and not nearly as cynical.

Old 01-24-2002, 11:23 PM   #8
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
In the US

Though I don't live in the USA, a great teacher I had the pleasure to work with when he came here was Bob Nedo.
He teaches in San Fransisco (I think), but you'll have to find his site or something for information on 'where and when'.
Enjoy!
Anat
Old 01-25-2002, 12:00 AM   #9
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Anat Amitay
Though I don't live in the USA, a great teacher I had the pleasure to work with when he came here was Bob Nedo.
He teaches in San Fransisco (I think), but you'll have to find his site or something for information on 'where and when'.
Enjoy!
Anat
Hi Anat!

It's Nadeau. He does teach in San Francisco although I believe he is also teaching in Mountain View and San Jose but I cannot confirm or deny that last part.

He is indeed an interesting fellow.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:08 AM   #10
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Darren, hi Emily!

I was very astonished to find Andy Wilby's dojo listed for the golden five. But I have to agree with all my heart. I also would like to train more often with Master Cebille from France. Hombu Dojo is good as well even if, as a non japanese speaker, I felt a little lost there. From all the really important Aikidoka I don't know anyone myself, but I'd like to train with John Stevens (I've heard many good things) and I regret that I never trained with Master Nocquet.
But that's only my oppinion!!!!!

Simone
Old 01-25-2002, 12:21 AM   #11
BC
I think it would be wonderful to visit the Yamagata ken dojo, under Funakoshi Sensei.
Beautiful land, amazing aikido...

Robert Cronin
Old 01-25-2002, 08:23 AM   #12
aiki_what
"aiki_what"
IP Hash: 9fbb21a4
Anonymous User
Now this is a good thread!

My choices:

Suginami Aikikai San Francisco with Jimmy "Bones" Friedman. Irreverent but with respect. High Flying Ukemi

Chicago Aikikai, Kevin Choate, Serious Training, Beautiful Dojo and its in the Windy City.

Columbus Aikikai with Hrehar Sensei, one of the most down to earth Sensei I have ever had the pleasure to train with.

Naval Academy Aikikai - George Meyer Sensei, How often do you get to practice (consistently) with 19-22 year old guys in peak physical condition, one right after the other.

Aikido of Northern Virginia - Jimmy Sorrentino Sensei, Great group of People and they have a heated floor!
Old 01-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #13
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Great Dojos

Shame you aren't thinking of coming to the UK. ~You could try Sensei Bill Smith's, Sensei Hayden Foster's, Sensei Frank Burlingham's and sensei Tom Moss...Damn he's my Sensei. There's loads of great places in the UK and all very welcoming.
PS one of our guys went to the Ikeda sensei school in boulder (Jon Burn0 he said it was great)
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-25-2002, 10:23 AM   #14
cguzik
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik

It's Nadeau. He does teach in San Francisco although I believe he is also teaching in Mountain View and San Jose but I cannot confirm or deny that last part.
Robert Nadeau has been teaching recently at Aikido of San Jose.

Other aikido dojo I would love to visit [again, for some of them] are:

Kumanojuku dojo
San Diego Aikikai
Jiyushinkan
Northcoast Aikido
Boulder Aikikai

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!