Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #1
David Pien
comparing the masters

I have a question here, how in the world would you use aikido to defend against a sucker punch??? I mean think about it, somebody comes up to you and says "hey man, let me tell you a secret" then as you lean in to let him wisper into your ear he plants a hard one in your gut and next thing you know you are on the ground being kicked and robbed. Now I know a tenkon turn wouldnt defend against this. Think about it. Also, who do you think would win in a fight: o'sensai or Billy Blanks(founder of tae bo)
I think Billy Blanks would win because he has much bigger muscles.

Last edited by David Pien : 01-24-2002 at 03:56 PM.

Old 01-24-2002, 03:29 PM   #2
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
If a stranger comes up to me and says "Come here. Let me tell you a secret," I wouldn't go within 10 feet of him.

Brings to mind another amusing story. In a Chinese village, there was a bull outside a shop. Everyone who got close to the bull got kicked and hurt. Then the Taoist master stepped into the street. Everyone was sure he would know what to do. He turned around and walked to the next street.

If it was a "friend" of mine so that I would actually go near him, I'd ram my head into his nose as hard as I could, then asses the situation as needed, but I wouldn't see the point of robbing me if I knew him. I'd be able to ID him to the police.

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/

Old 01-24-2002, 03:47 PM   #3
David Pien
Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
If a stranger comes up to me and says "Come here. Let me tell you a secret," I wouldn't go within 10 feet of him.

Brings to mind another amusing story. In a Chinese village, there was a bull outside a shop. Everyone who got close to the bull got kicked and hurt. Then the Taoist master stepped into the street. Everyone was sure he would know what to do. He turned around and walked to the next street.

If it was a "friend" of mine so that I would actually go near him, I'd ram my head into his nose as hard as I could, then asses the situation as needed, but I wouldn't see the point of robbing me if I knew him. I'd be able to ID him to the police.
ok, well what if he has somthing important to tell you? how would you know until you let him tell you? or what if he was a co-worker for 10 years? what would you do? or what if he was a friend you thought was a stranger and was going to tell you he was a friend but it turned out he was a stranger and he kicks your butt then how would you ID him to the police?

Old 01-24-2002, 03:56 PM   #4
Steven Scott
Dojo: Ki Shin Tai Aikido Kan
Scotland
He would be indeed be a stranger friend than the friend I thought was the stranger, in which case I would wonder if this secret was stranger than the friend or if the secret was that this stranger was actually my friend or not, maybe he is just really a stranger.
Now if the stranger secret was stranger than the strange friend then I would know that he was not a friend at all but a stranger, therefore it would not be a secret.
In that context, the strange secret is no stranger to the friend's secret of being a secret stranger masquerading as a strange friend who...... Oh no, i've gone cross-eyed!

Gotta go, Headache !!!

Yours in Aiki

Old 01-24-2002, 04:23 PM   #5
mle
Dojo: The Dojo (www.the-dojo.com
Re: comparing the masters

Quote:
Originally posted by David Pien
I have a question here, how in the world would you use aikido to defend against a sucker punch???

You'd use your advanced haragei to determine the threat before it ever happened, then use your super-ki powers to immobilize the attacker before he could even blink. Then hit him in the gwebbils hard as you can.

Me, I'd use my super-scamper powers to stay the hell out of the situation in the first place.

I mean think about it, somebody comes up to you and says "hey man, let me tell you a secret" then as you lean in to let him wisper into your ear he plants a hard one in your gut and next thing you know you are on the

Hmm. Interesting friends you got there.

Old man in Japan, Sokaku Takeda. He was sick, feeble and weak. Went walking thru bad neighborhoods all the time just SWEATING bullets, hoping he didn't get jumped. I think he only killed about six of 'em.

[B{Think about it. Also, who do you think would win in a fight: o'sensai or Billy Blanks(founder of tae bo) I think Billy Blanks would win because he has much bigger muscles. [/b]

Wow! Bigger muscles??? Cool. Dunno. I think if O'sensei was alive, he be sucking on a respirator at this point. He'd be about 120 or so. But then, he reportedly got off his deathbed to throw some young yudansha around.

And and and ... what if SUPERMAN fought Billy Blanks??? Or Mighty MOUSE!!!!

Tae Bo ... how ... odd.

cg-n-mle

Stay in school. Spelling is GOOD!

Old 01-24-2002, 04:23 PM   #6
David Kerr
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido/ Kilmarnock
Grow up wee man.......

Old 01-24-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
David Kerr
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido/ Kilmarnock
Who do you think would win between spiderman and superman, my moneys on spiderman because he's got radio active blood.....

Old 01-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #8
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
I have a question here, how in the world would you use aikido to defend against a sucker punch??? I mean think about it, somebody comes up to you and says "hey man, let me tell you a secret" then as you lean in to let him wisper into your ear he plants a hard one in your gut and next thing you know you are on the ground being kicked and robbed. Now I know a tenkon turn wouldnt defend against this. Think about it.
Maintain distance.

Folding your arms on your chest lightly, also helps to shorten the reaction time and defend your solar plexus area without provoking suspicion.

Old 01-24-2002, 04:33 PM   #9
[Censored]

The answer, for you, is crosstraining.

Old 01-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #10
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Don't be a sucker

Quote:
Originally posted by [Censored]
The answer, for you, is crosstraining.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido

Old 01-24-2002, 05:36 PM   #11
JPT
Dojo: trad
Check out a book called "The Fence" by Geoff Thompson. In it he hides his defensive guard in a non agressive way. Which you could use in situations where you are unsure of the intent of person in front of you.

Old 01-24-2002, 08:37 PM   #12
Robyn Johnson

United_States
Wink

"Who do you think would win between spiderman and superman, my moneys on spiderman because he's got radio active blood....."

My money is on Batman! He would stay in the all-concealing shadows until Superman defeated Spiderman then he would use that Kryptonite ring that Superman gave him for safe keeping.....

Robyn

Old 01-24-2002, 08:42 PM   #13
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
It's a moot point. Spiderman can banter better with supervillans, and thats all that really matters.

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/

Old 01-24-2002, 10:21 PM   #14
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
I heard this one from my poli-sci professor in college:

The iron rule: Do unto others before they do unto you.

i.e.- if someone has a lame line like "I gotta secret" you know SOMETHING has to be up.
(then again, maybe not)

p.s.- yes, I'm aware this isn't an aiki strategy

Old 01-25-2002, 03:36 AM   #15
nikonl
China
Thumbs down

David Pien: I would STRONGLY recommend you do some research on Aikido before posting these. Or better still, join a proper Aikido class to experience it yourself

Regarding your question, there will always be someone more muscular than you, what then?

Old 01-25-2002, 05:52 AM   #16
Kenn
Dojo: looking for a new one
United_States
Red face Re: comparing the masters

Quote:
I have a question here, how in the world would you use aikido to defend against a sucker punch??? I mean think about it, somebody comes up to you and says "hey man, let me tell you a secret" then as you lean in to let him wisper into your ear he plants a hard one in your gut and next thing you know you are on the ground being kicked and robbed. Now I know a tenkon turn wouldnt defend against this. Think about it. Also, who do you think would win in a fight: o'sensai or Billy Blanks(founder of tae bo)
Might I suggest ignoring immature comments such as the above. By giving them actual validity, we only invite more, and this makes for less room for actual Aikido discussion. Just my opinion, you are entitled to yours, however wrong it may be.

Peace, Kenn

Kenn

Remember, the only way to be happy always, is to be happy always, without reason.

Old 01-25-2002, 10:14 AM   #17
Mares

Quote:
I just have to know. In all seriousness, Mr Pien. As a brown belt in Tae Bo, in your own hypothetical situation mentioned above, what would you do? I'm guessing you wouldn't tenkan.

Old 01-25-2002, 11:54 AM   #18
shihonage
United_States
Re: Re: comparing the masters

Quote:
Originally posted by Mares

In all seriousness, Mr Pien.
Every single one of us had asked some really funny questions at some point.

So what.

Old 01-25-2002, 12:39 PM   #19
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Wink Re: comparing the masters

Quote:
Also, who do you think would win in a fight: o'sensai or Billy Blanks(founder of tae bo)
...Well, I have to agree with David on this one, but not for the reason he stated ...Mr Blanks would win easily do to the fact the O-Sensei is deceased! ...I would imagine it would be one dull fight to watch!

...HEY! ...how about this one David ...O-Sensei vs. Bruce Lee!!! ...both pretyy evenly matched!!! ...but I would guess there wouldn't be much action towatch in this match either!

...are you SURE you didn't eat paint chips as a kid David?!?!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"

Old 01-25-2002, 07:41 PM   #20
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Steven Scott
He would be indeed be a stranger friend than the friend I thought was the stranger, in which case I would wonder if this secret was stranger than the friend or if the secret was that this stranger was actually my friend or not, maybe he is just really a stranger.
Now if the stranger secret was stranger than the strange friend then I would know that he was not a friend at all but a stranger, therefore it would not be a secret.
In that context, the strange secret is no stranger to the friend's secret of being a secret stranger masquerading as a strange friend who...... Oh no, i've gone cross-eyed!

Gotta go, Headache !!!
ROFLOL. Well done Steven
Niadh

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers

Old 01-28-2002, 08:02 PM   #21
Mike Collins
United_States
Freaky!

I would defend against a sucker punch as my entire family has done for generations:

I've grown an incredibly thick Irish skull with virtually no brain mass encased therein to be damaged by attack. To the contrary, a sucker punch to my head would be just that, only a sucker would do it. As to a gut punch... I weigh 300 lbs., a hand could easily become lost inside all of this great girth.

Billy Blanks kicks butt. Tae Bo Rulez.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
James Stedman
United_States
Re: how would you defend against a sucker punch?

Men have no need to whisper, except in battle.
You must always maintain control and sense of boundaries in daily life.Like fences, good boundaries promote friendship.
Only with an empty mind (mushin) can one effectively react and thwart a "sucker punch".
Constant training will provide what is needed to survive and sustain and response.
In case of a woman whispering in your ear...all bets are off, all rules are moot.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #23
Luc X Saroufim

this thread rules

Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #24
Talon

Dojo: Aikido Zenshin Dojo
Canada

This thread looks like it can belong on Bullshido....

Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #25
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Yeah, this is officially a Bullshido thread.

David Pien: My sensei told me the technique does not start when someone raises their arm to hit you. And honestly? Do not trust friendly people on the street. I don't care if it's rude.

Hope that helps...

Speaking of random people on the street, here's a little random story I just remembered. I was walking home when some guy came up to me and politely said "excuse me" because tripping me and throwing me on the ground. He then turned to his friend and said "See? I told you I could do it." and they both walked away. A shame this was years before I started Aikido...I'll meet you again someday you little punk!

Last edited by Roman Kremianski : 03-20-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.

Closed Thread