Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Pete Knox

United_States
Question Heavy Bags/Medicine Balls?

I would like to train outside of the dojo to increase my fitness, and beyond aerobic work would like to work on strength/bodyfat reduction. As I am a pretty big guy (6 ft about 260) I am not interested in gaining any more muscle mass, so am steering away from weight training (at least for now) - has anyone here trained with the "old school methods" of heavy bag, medicine ball, sledgehammer training and the like? If so, how did it affect your aikido? I am really doing this more for general health and well-being as opposed to specifically for aikido, but any benefits to the latter would of course be a welcome bonus.

My initial thought is that this would be a fun way to get a shape, and when combined with bodyweight exercises/calisthenics, inexpensive as well.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Heavy Bags/Medicine Balls?

Being stronger isn't going to make your Aikido worse. However if you are not mindful it may slow your learning curve.

If you're really strong, you won't notice when you're forcing technique. You have to be extra mindful the stronger you get, or else you'll enforce bad habits.

Tanren training (hitting a tire) is an awesome way to build muscular endurance, and develop a strong cut. Lifting oddly shaped objects (kegs, strange rocks, big logs, etc) will make you silly strong, silly fast. Medicine ball training is great too, but all of these things will make you bigger as well.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States

I agree with the tanren training. Lots of suburi with a tanren will help too.

Just curious Pete, where do you train currently?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Pete Knox

United_States

Quote:
Brent Magnusson wrote: View Post
I agree with the tanren training. Lots of suburi with a tanren will help too.

Just curious Pete, where do you train currently?
Currently, I don't. I previously trained with Sensei Stickles at ASNJ in Roselle Park, and am planning on returning within the next month or so. I just finished taking classes to go to grad school at Rutgers, so I had to focus on that for a while. I've finalized everything, so I should be able to start soon.

Last edited by Pete Knox : 05-21-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Pete Knox

United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Tanren training (hitting a tire) is an awesome way to build muscular endurance, and develop a strong cut.
Would you recommend using a standard bokken/jo to hit the tire, or do you use something else (I thought maybe something heavier was needed to take the abuse, and that's where I was thinking the sledgehammer might help, in addition to the muscular endurance it would bring, as I know it is quite tiring).

Last edited by Pete Knox : 05-21-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

If you have or would like to get a saburi-to (large heavy bokken) that would make your training very Aikido-like. You could then also use it to work on all your Aikido saburi. Any sword stuff you do with a saburi-to will be hard, an help your training.

A sledgehammer is great, but if you've never hit a tire with a sledge, be careful at first, it will fly back and try to hit you on the head. Also if you use a sledge, you need a pretty big tire. Around here Tractor tires aren't too hard to find, but I don't know about your neck of the woods.

Also, doing something practical while getting your workout is always great. Chopping wood is very useful hard work. Building a garden requires lots of lifting and pulling. Ripping out tree roots with your hands is REALLY hard work (I spent last summer doing it, and it improved my grip strength a lot).

Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Pete Knox

United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
If you have or would like to get a saburi-to (large heavy bokken) that would make your training very Aikido-like. You could then also use it to work on all your Aikido saburi. Any sword stuff you do with a saburi-to will be hard, an help your training.

A sledgehammer is great, but if you've never hit a tire with a sledge, be careful at first, it will fly back and try to hit you on the head. Also if you use a sledge, you need a pretty big tire. Around here Tractor tires aren't too hard to find, but I don't know about your neck of the woods.

Also, doing something practical while getting your workout is always great. Chopping wood is very useful hard work. Building a garden requires lots of lifting and pulling. Ripping out tree roots with your hands is REALLY hard work (I spent last summer doing it, and it improved my grip strength a lot).
Thanks for the clarification regarding the bokken. As for the sledgehammer training, I was definitely planning on being careful, as sledgehammer+carelessness+head=trip to emergency room. Ripping out tree roots with your bare hands does sound like it would be rather brutal.

The saburi-to sounds interesting, as in addition to the benefits of hitting the tire, the added weight (as compared to a "regular" bokken) could work as a form of lighter weight training as well, and thus build some stamina to more easily handle the regular (lighter) bokken in class.

I recall seeing some photos in a Kyokushin karate book a few years ago of people training with a heavy stick similar to a bokken, but straighter and longer (more like a bo). They didn't seem to be doing actual bokken "techniques" with it, but instead used it solely to build strength - I think they may have used metal bars later on as well if I remember correctly. While that's not exactly the same concept (I think the Kyokushin folks were looking to build sheer power as opposed to muscular endurance), I can see some similarities as far as intended effect.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Use heavy bag to practice Tai Sabaki. Very good for aerobic workout.

Rock

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com