Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
tuturuhan
United_States
The Uke, Compliance and Qi

Qi and Compliance

"Notice that the teachers in the clips supposedly make their stuff work
against the students. There is something going on there. What is it?
Notice that all the clips you showed of empty force teachers show the
same thing as these clips — at least in the beginning. But in these
clips it doesn't work against non-compliance." The Wonderdous Channel Dave Chesser, Formosa Neijia Yahoo Discussions.

A reply to Dave:

1. stimulus: -response-association-reinforcement

2. creates: the environment for suggestion/hypnosis

3. connects: to body physiology

4. organizes: chemical reaction and electromagnetic energy

5. termed: as essence or soul

6. emitted: to people, objects, situations, concepts and theory

7. purposeful: repeatable result to "hunt, procreate and aha"

That said, I noticed early on that a distinct grouping of my students "writhed in pain" before I applied the technique. When I listened to the critics of my technique they said "your students are in compliance".

I agree. Some of my students "associated" the original pain of the technique to the stimulus of the "repeatable" attack (i.e. chin na, pressue pt etc). They then reacted in pain, a physiological event because the body was "suggested to" that hormones and nerves must create pain. All before I executed the technique.

Was this (compliance) a bad thing? Well, my initial reaction was to desire new students who could not be compliant to "practice as habit", and to seek out challenges from outsiders.

I wanted to make sure my technique was for real. (When I first went to europe to teach seminars, a sudden insecurity hit me as I entered the workout room of an Italian class of preying mantis students. I thought, will my technique work. These guys are different. They are Italitans! But, after the first Italian student "went down in pain"…my fear astonishing disappeared… )
As such, I knew that my intitial technique had nothing to do with compliance.

However, as a strategist who desires a result…I want to be able to get others to "do my bidding". I want my ten year old daughter to "obey my commands" without hitting her over the head with a baseball bat. She had to become "compliant" to my empty force. She learned to be such, not simply by giving her love (emitted through the touch of hugs and kisses). She had to learn compliance with the touch of spanking and discipline.

Empty force creating "Result". Now will this empty force work into her teenage years?

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: The Uke, Compliance and Qi

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
Qi and Compliance

I wanted to make sure my technique was for real. ........
As such, I knew that my intitial technique had nothing to do with compliance.

However, as a strategist who desires a result…I want to be able to get others to "do my bidding".
Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
I love the world of Aiki-no-jitsu. To attain one of these techniques, you use a combination of sympathetic movement/mild hypnosis, body positioning, suggestions, and light touch. But it will not work well against someone who is not very intelligenct or someone who has adrenal demped.

That is why I move fluidly between Aiji-no-jitsu to Aikijujutsu to Jujitsu. It is like having a handgun, a rifle and a knife. They all can be used in the fight.... just depends on the need of the moment.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
DH
United_States

Chris
Don't take this personally as I am talking about your expression of an art, not you as a person. It's a bit difficult to not discuss *you* since *you* keep putting up videos of you.

Your entire statement; from start to finish does not reflect any depth of understanding of what aikijujutsu is and why it holds such incredible potential to the few who correctly pursue its heart. Further, all of this small circle movement, with shapes and directions misses the entire heart of aiki. It's jujutsu. And the type of jujutsu you display is lacking the body skill. The soft-touch directed aikisage, and age/sage is highly marginal against an aggressive experienced fighter. Without the body skills behind it, its nothing more than the very types of dojo waza that is serving to ruin its reputation. While impressive to those who are introduced to it and can start to make them work, it is none-the-less just entry level jujutsu. Not that there's nothing wrong with that
It also goes along way in defining what most folks hate about the whole idea of aiki in fighting arts and why they equate aikijujutsu with aikido in the "cooperative genre." This stuff is what engendered all of the aiki wars at the start up of E-budo after some of the more rational jujutdu/koryu budo folks felt the current crop of Daito ryu teachers hitting the American shores and more or less said "where's the beef?" I was discussing this very issues a short while ago with a Daito ryu teacher who has skill, lamenting over what is presented as aiki-jujutsu. Anyway, this is just more of that type of movement, revisited. I hope you have more serious jujutsu skills as a backup.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
DH
United_States

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
love the world of Aiki-no-jitsu. To attain one of these techniques, you use a combination of sympathetic movement/mild hypnosis, body positioning, suggestions, and light touch. But it will not work well against someone who is not very intelligenct or someone who has adrenal demped.
One other thing
I will not speak to what you consider Aiki-no-jutsu to be and what the requirements are in an uke. Mine works regardless of whether or not the guy is smart or dumb and whether or not he wants to move or not. I also don't monitor their level of ukemi to validate the connection we just made. Aiki-no-jutsu (the art of aiki) is just as valid in the judoka never being able to get kuzushi, popping-off, repositioning and getting dumped, the wrestler getting slammed going for a single leg, BJJers not being able to get a single thing to work, MMAers having to sit out three rounds after doubting, asking and receiving a short power strike, to playing with tai chi teachers or the most beautiful air throw breakfall from a wrist or gi grab, it's all aiki-nu-jutsu to me. Adrenaline dump or not.
Why? It has nothing to do with a waza or anything to do with them, Chris.
What you need is succinctly addressed in my signature line.

Last edited by DH : 05-01-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
One other thing
I will not speak to what you consider Aiki-no-jutsu to be and what the requirements are in an uke. Mine works regardless of whether or not the guy is smart or dumb and whether or not he wants to move or not. I also don't monitor their level of ukemi to validate the connection we just made. Aiki-no-jutsu (the art of aiki) is just as valid in the judoka never being able to get kuzushi, popping-off, repositioning and getting dumped, the wrestler getting slammed going for a single leg, BJJers not being able to get a single thing to work, MMAers having to sit out three rounds after doubting, asking and receiving a short power strike, to playing with tai chi teachers or the most beautiful air throw breakfall from a wrist or gi grab, it's all aiki-nu-jutsu to me. Adrenaline dump or not.
Why? It has nothing to do with a waza or anything to do with them, Chris.
What you need is succinctly addressed in my signature line.
I appreciate your evaluation and your respectful style as usual. I agree, I am a work in progress and will be until I die.

Just out of interest, here are a few fisticuff fights. would you make comment on them?

Granted that this is not an ambush- type fight. It is a sport-style dueling match (i.e. you square off and there are a modicum of rules). At least there is no protective gear. Is there any kokyu/Jin happenin in the first two duels?

IMO, Suppression and closing the gap seems to work better than trading blows from a distance. What do the Marines call it…. Close with the enemy and destroy them…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoVD...eature=related

Even great punchers without gear cannot end a fight that quickly if their punch connects too far away from their own center of gravity (too much centrifugal force)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KQe...eature=related

The Grand Ultimate Fist-Dim Mak from a distance (would that we all could do this). But can they do it in an ambush-type fight?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmEOR6a68OE

What lessons would you offer from these videos?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
DH
United_States

Hi again
I can't access any you tube videos any more from my lap top. Nor can I download an updated vaersion of flashplayer. It just won't load It's screwed. I think I am going to switch to firefox instead of IE.
I'll have to wait till I get in the office tomm or I can fix this damn machine later today. Idinlt see any vids from all of these discussion till yesterday while I was waiting for a late appointment. I sat and watched. Thus commented on what I saw. There is a whole contigent of teachers teaching those jujutsu circle motions and calling it aiki. And they genuinely believe it. They are sincere. They're stuck in the middle, thinking its the high end. It's the substative reason for the "one-level-up" from technical orientation stlye teaching of waza, to the "principle based" style of teaching. Place them in a more pressured environment and their "understanding" based on external/marginally internal technique falls apart, due to their aiki requiring fine motor skills and a measure of cooperation. True power has nothing to do with waza. It creates waza, it uses waza, but its the driver or the prime mover.

Last edited by DH : 05-01-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

lessons learned from these videos?

that cognitive dissonance is an important concept to understand.

We must work constantly to ensure that we are being honest with ourselves and those we train with.

We have a clear understanding of the desired endstate that we want to achieve, and work to achieve it as efficiently and effectively as we can.

everything else is delusion and a distraction and philosophical and intellectual bullshit that serves to entertain us with no other purpose.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi again
I can't access any you tube videos any more from my lap top. Nor can I download an updated vaersion of flashplayer. It just won't load It's screwed. I think I am going to switch to firefox instead of IE.
I'll have to wait till I get in the office tomm or I can fix this damn machine later today. Idinlt see any vids from all of these discussion till yesterday while I was waiting for a late appointment. I sat and watched. Thus commented on what I saw. There is a whole contigent of teachers teaching those jujutsu circle motions and calling it aiki. And they genuinely believe it. They are sincere. They're stuck in the middle, thinking its the high end. It's the substative reason for the "one-level-up" from technical orientation stlye teaching of waza, to the "principle based" style of teaching. Place them in a more pressured environment and their "understanding" based on external/marginally internal technique falls apart, due to their aiki requiring fine motor skills and a measure of cooperation. True power has nothing to do with waza. It creates waza, it uses waza, but its the driver or the prime mover.
Not a problem. I am a patient guy. And my questions are sincere.
Perhaps you can discuss them with me off line when you are up and running with video capability.

video #1 Shui Jiao vs White Crane match
video #2 Two Tai Chi guys go at it in a ring
video #3 Two "dim mak from a distance" guys go at it at 20 feet distance.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
tuturuhan
United_States

Chris,

The Preacher

All my life (even as a child) I have been accused of being
"preachy"...better than though. I attribute this to
the role model of my Grandfather (a man who talked
with an invisible white giant, and to my mother who
was a true saint)

Well, IMO the biggest preachers also tend to be the
biggest sinners. (I need not say more...)

My wife evidences this truth as she tell me everyday her concerns about my "failings". She works harder than me, is a better
parent and is incredibly patient and forgiving of my
ample weaknesses.

She is the third great influence in my life. She makes me want to be better...though, we know for a fact that I am lazy and lacking in
comparison to her, my mother and my grandfather.

Thus,the parameters I set forth (on other posts) for judging "mastery" are merely "standards". They are goals to reach and
maintain. They are also "multi-leveled" so as to
show our "individual" progress in life.

A few more thoughts:

1. Equality: Today, we live in a society of
"equality". Everyone is told they are equal. As
such, people in society are upset when "someone" acts
and does "better than". They have been taught to
believe "life is supposed to be fair". It is not.
Some people are better than others. Some people are
richer, more experienced and prosperous.

As such, it is true, that some people have "mastered"
higher levels. As such we have a choice, learn from
the "model masters" or pooh pooh it.

2. Levels: At each level "we" each of us, CAN be
masters. My children "mastered" the alphabet. When
they recognized letters on the board and could say
them; I knew they were reading. They were "masters"
at that level.

But, they couldn't yet read words. Nonetheless, I
recognized that they were reading. Fortunately, I
also recognized that their mastery of the alphabet
reading M A T, was also the very "obstacle" that
prevented them from going to the next level. They had
to "give up" what they had mastered and instead learn
to phonetically sound the letters MAH AAA t. "Now
flow with it mahaat".

When they learned to read phonetically they had mastered the next level. (The same happens in martial arts. The very level we
master becomes the obstacle to the next level.) The point, is that "each level" in life is something we are capable of mastering. SADLY, because "others are successful" the insecure want to bring the prosperous down to their own level...to make
themselves feel better. As such, "we" should not be insecure or restrictive of our egos...because the herd tells us that "we are
equal".

Instead, we should be proud of every level,
every action, big or small that we have "mastered".

3. Open-mindedness: It is ok to be proud of each and
every accomphishment. You can even preach if you
want. However, I for one am always aware that there
is always "another expert, master, guru, child,
student, who can teach and enlighten me.

4. Community: None of us, can be successful by
ourselves. We have a choice to tear each other down
in the name of equality. Or, some of us can choose to
be "life masters" and help each other to higher
levels.

And yet, I tell myself everyday, "Just be aware that
at these lofty heights, you will encounter loniness
frustration and even ridicule."

5. WE, all of us together ARE ALREADY LIFE MASTERS:

I come from a different perspective. It is not about
attaining mastery. It is about UNCOVERING the mastery
that has always been within you.

Finally, look not to the Big Mastery...look to the
mastery of simple things...in the simple
uncovering...it all adds up to LIFE MASTERY.

Damn, I should have been a preacher!

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Tuturuhan,

Love what you said.

IMO, our wives or significant others are the real heroes. Our time in training is time away from tending to their wishes and needs.

Preaching.... I hate when that happens. Product of my training.
Yes, I am the greatest of sinners. Just like the Jesuits and my Protestant teachers told me. But I really do believe it because
I know my insides as well.

Having a violet aura is another thing. It nature has a process that is different from others like the tan or yellow or blue auras. Once we have an orientation, we hold to it, and act on it at the cellular level, but if genuine logic appears, we change overnight. Not hypocrisy, just a genuine dialectic.

Yes, all learning is really self learning. In fact, violets for most of the last few decades have been "in review." We are reassessing things we have learned through many lifetimes. It is like preparing for the PhD thesis defense process.

I love learning from all sources I can. I have few boundaries and make many friends in the process. I truly value the new friendship we are building.

What I also have is a deep loyalty to those who are most meaningful. My wife (17 years), My original and current kenpo teacher (35 years). My original and current Jujitsu teacher (20 years), my first and current Judo teacher (15 years), my second and current Escrima teacher (10 years), My fourth and current Aikijujutsu teacher (8 years). My third and current Aikido teacher (2 years). Now you, I hope it lasts a lifetime.

In my art, I like to objectively document my stages of growth. Any video I take is without preparation, performance on demand.... no matter what condition my body is in or what the environment includes. I really do not care about striking poses, just the real deal as it is. keeping things honest as I can.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

Chris,

tried to PM you, but your box is full.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
tuturuhan
United_States

"Quote: In my art, I like to objectively document my stages of growth. Any video I take is without preparation, performance on demand.... no matter what condition my body is in or what the environment includes. I really do not care about striking poses, just the real deal as it is. keeping things honest as I can. by MTL Chris Parkinson"

Today, everyone wants more. Today, most think there are either secrets being withheld, or that everything is available to them. it is a contradiction of insecurity and entitlement.

On another post, someone talked about how the internet has changed are practices because of the availability of videos. When I was coming up, everything was secret. Partly because teachers treasured their material and worried that others would steal it. There are no secrets. There is only hard work. There is only the constant practice of "uncovering".

Fortunately, video cameras were around to capture O sensei and others in different periods of their practice. We can see a progression.

Unfortunately, given "instant gratification" today's martial artists have too too much to choose from. Yet, incredibly they stay sectarian. They will glance at other "martial tapes" but will not study them. They fail to look deeply...partly because they have never been taught to look deeply. Yet, this too is ok...its alright to simply have fun.

When I was young, I would watch the same 8mm tape of my teacher every day. Later, every month and then every few years. From it, I would mark my progress. I still watch it to remind me.

In tai chi chuan, its knowledge can only be uncovered by opening yourself to it. You must practice it and you must set up metrics to help you see your progress.

As I said to you before, ridicule and criticism is part of "eating bitter". Fortunately, for me, I have a sweet tooth.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I don't know about ridicule, but criticism is certainly *not* part of "eating bitter". Trying to lighten it with humor also should not be considered "eating bitter". Sounds nice, but it misses the point, in my opinion.

We all make critical decisions every moment of every day. It is the nature of discourse to ask questions, give opinions, take advice, etc. That should not be construed as negative, unless, of course, it gets personal. To critique ideas is not personal. To question ideas is not personal. We (including myself) should all be open to others disagreeing with our opinions, and seeking the best value in the market place of ideas. That means sorting through the various opinions, facts, and other information with a descriminating mind to find the best determination we can make at any point in time. Sometimes, that means I have to change my mind about an issue. But that is what discourse is for.

Best,
Ron(this reply is to this thread, it is not personal)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I don't know about ridicule, but criticism is certainly *not* part of "eating bitter". Trying to lighten it with humor also should not be considered "eating bitter". Sounds nice, but it misses the point, in my opinion.

We all make critical decisions every moment of every day. It is the nature of discourse to ask questions, give opinions, take advice, etc. That should not be construed as negative, unless, of course, it gets personal. To critique ideas is not personal. To question ideas is not personal. We (including myself) should all be open to others disagreeing with our opinions, and seeking the best value in the market place of ideas. That means sorting through the various opinions, facts, and other information with a descriminating mind to find the best determination we can make at any point in time. Sometimes, that means I have to change my mind about an issue. But that is what discourse is for.

Best,
Ron(this reply is to this thread, it is not personal)
Ron,

Hehehehehe

Everything is personal. No one is truly objective. The experimenter affects the double blind experiment no matter how much his attempts to be objective.

Words do hurt. A bully is a bully whether physical, intellectual or spiritual. But, the good guys roll with the punches. I'm not so good. I have a tendency to let my temper flare. I have a tendency to hit first.

Though, I have found it interesting that some people have told a bodyguard, an owner of a nationally known security firm, a world traveler, a success at marriage, an owner of property that he doesn't know what he is doing.

Chris is well over 6'2 inches. Guarantied, if he "hit" you you'd go down. How do I know...I have seen him "hit". Yet, he rolls with the punches.

IMO credence to a critics opinion "should be based" on the experience and knowledge of the critic. Can the guy fight? You have people that do...and then you have people that criticize.

Nonetheless we push. But, we should be careful on how our criticisms reflect our own dreams.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Though, I have found it interesting that some people have told a bodyguard, an owner of a nationally known security firm, a world traveler, a success at marriage, an owner of property that he doesn't know what he is doing.

Chris is well over 6'2 inches. Guarantied, if he "hit" you you'd go down. How do I know...I have seen him "hit". Yet, he rolls with the punches.
You see, this is part of the problem. And I mean no offense to Chris or anyone else.

In the marketplace of ideas, and in America, no one's societal standing or physical stature determines the worth of their ideas.

Let's say I have an idea that the sky is red. And I can fight like a mad dog. Someone else says, "no, obviously, the sky is blue".

I tell them I'm coming to see them, and when I do, I will prove the sky is red, because I am wealthy, and I can kick butt. When we meet, I do indeed kick butt.

Is the sky now red?

Absurd, isn't it?

So to my mind, intimating physical visits, how large I am, physical violence, is a complete non-sequitur in a discussion of ideas. It just doesn't follow. Now, when discussing a physical practice, it is often a benefit to get together and share methods, and try things out. Martial arts is a physical practice, so that is a necessary thing to do. It should be done respectfully, and we should know we are not fighting when we do it. We are training. In this modern age.

There may be those that are interested in taking that to the next level. I personally am not. It isn't needed in MY life. Someone else is welcome to find someone who likes that next level and go there. I chose not to...because in my life, it is not needed. I have other ways to level set to my satisfaction.

Best,
Ron (and please understand when I say that, I mean Best Regards)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Words do hurt. A bully is a bully whether physical, intellectual or spiritual.
And as a child, my mother told me, they are just words. Sticks, stones, and all that. Words do not justify violence. I used to fight over the "N" word. You said it to me, you were giving or getting a beating. And I really didn't care which way it went...but you were going to have to fight.

I was wrong!

No matter how despicable that other person was for using that word, I was wrong. Period. If I do that today I am wrong.

Quote:
But, the good guys roll with the punches. I'm not so good. I have a tendency to let my temper flare. I have a tendency to hit first.
We all have probably felt that at some time or another. Me too.

Time for us both to grow up.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
Allen Beebe
United_States

Nice posts Ron.

Gentlemanly, level headed and salient as usual.

Best,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe

Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
tuturuhan
United_States

Ron,

That's the point.

I am grown up. I have a wife of many years, children, a profession, money in the bank and the respect of friends and students. I am 51 years old and no longer searching or having to prove to anyone or to myself. Better yet, my children have been trained to respect their elders "not because" they are forced. They do so out of politeness.

As for losing my temper and punching back when attacked. Well, I am a bit old fashioned. I think a man should protect his family, his values and his beliefs.

In fact, as Americans, I think we should all be willing to donate at least two years of our lives to American society. But, then that's another story.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
Chris Parkerson
United_States

can anyone hear the essence of the real voices that aretrying to communicate?

Two cultures. Both right within their culture. Joe is speaking from a pure heart. Many organic cultures do thisnaturally. We in the modern European West do not do it soeasily.

Just like reverend Jooshua wright, joe will speak truth to power if his "being real" gets dissed.

Now we all heard soundbites on the news. But who listened to Rev. Wright's sermon before the NAACP. From a strategic perspective,i saw a true hermeneutical attempt at building cross cultural bridges. From a technical side you might have learned that African music only has 5 notes where European music has 7. Both makebeautifulmusic.
If we wish others to honor our Passive-aggressive, (overly laced
with political correctness and theory) style we use as Caucasians/Westerners
Then we should also take a step back and listen to the organic heart as well.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I am not Caucasian.

I spent 1 year living in Africa. Nothing in Rev. Wright's speech reminded me of the things I heard and saw there.

Please note that I made no attempt to denigrate others in my posts.

Joseph, I am 46. You are one year older than my brother, and you are younger than Mike. And age validates ideas no more than anything else mentioned. Respect deserved is respect EARNED.

Audios,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 05-02-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
Chris Parkerson
United_States

I am Hispanic from S. Texas. My ancestors had their Spanish Land Grant taken from them by the big ranchers after Texas Independence. My mother was held back inHouston schools due to her last name.

Yet, I am still culturally European/Caucasian. It has to do with thinking processes as much as blood.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #22
Dan Austin
United_States

Quote:
My wife evidences this truth as she tell me everyday her concerns about my "failings". She works harder than me, is a better
parent and is incredibly patient and forgiving of my
ample weaknesses.
What burdens women are willing to bear truly is remarkable, isn't it? OK, enough of the false humility now, back to talking about how great Joseph Arriola is or somebody might forget!

Quote:
As such, "we" should not be insecure or restrictive of our egos...because the herd tells us that "we are
equal".
Well I can't speak for the rest of the herd, but don't worry, I don't think of you as equal to other posters here.

Quote:
However, I for one am always aware that there
is always "another expert, master, guru, child,
student, who can teach and enlighten me.
Such humility. Truly a thing of beauty and a joy forever!

Quote:
And yet, I tell myself everyday, "Just be aware that
at these lofty heights, you will encounter loniness
frustration and even ridicule."
How do you do it?!? How do you continue to strive to even greater heights of wonderfulness?!? BTW, where were those videos that proved what great fighting ability you have, and how wonderful your skills are? I missed them somehow. Since you made this post entirely about the wonder that is Joseph Arriola, you invite commentary about your attitude, skills, and emotional maturity. When you talk about your "accomplishments" and possessions you sound like the proverbial guy who buys the flashy sportscar to distract from his shortcomings, as it were. But as much as emotional malfunction fascinates me, there comes a time to invoke the ignore function. I must say though, you have positively taken the crown for the greatest ego/skills ratio I have ever witnessed on this list.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
tuturuhan
United_States

MTL, Chris

We are all of African descent. DNA proves that we all came out of Africa more than 40,000 years ago.

In fact, my 2050, the United States will again be one big melting pot. Though before claiming any ethnic group, I choose to be American. American of Pilipino descent. American of Chinese descent, American of Asian Decent. American, American American...and after that global citizen.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
tuturuhan
United_States

Gentlemen,

We don't earn respect.

We choose to be polite and respectful. This is a learned ettiquette. Respect is what a gentleman offers his friends, acquaintances and his enemies.

This is why I bow to my opponents, whether I like them or not. "Words of hate" are simply reflections of frustration and insecurity. They are for those who have failed in all other aspects of their lives. Does it need to be this way? No. Everyone, is born with opportunity. Everyone can work hard to achieve results.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
MTL, Chris

We are all of African descent. DNA proves that we all came out of Africa more than 40,000 years ago.

In fact, my 2050, the United States will again be one big melting pot. Though before claiming any ethnic group, I choose to be American. American of Pilipino descent. American of Chinese descent, American of Asian Decent. American, American American...and after that global citizen.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
american. Yes. But a melting pot of cultural experiences that are part of how we organize consciousness, learning and communication.

Let's take one discussion...

One thesis is that structure cannot be learned through technique.would the Capoeirist agree? The Kali or Silat practicioner. Might they obtain structure from some combination of music, movement and rythm?

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes

Closed Thread