Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
chuunen baka
United Kingdom
Hajimemashite

Hi, all.

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

I'm not actually an active aikidoka but I was awarded a yellow belt over 30 years ago. In a fit of ageing angst, I started doing jujutsu which I find fun but a little brutal and, I think, brutalising.

So I find myself lurking here while dithering about carrying on the JJ for a couple of kyu or finding a suitable aikidojo. I can guess what folks on this site will say.

Funny, when I was a teen aikidoka, I didn't even know the name of the style I was studying and ki was rarely ever mentioned. Judging by some of the websites I've been surfing, modern styles seem much more concerned with ki than budo. No offence intended, but meditation and overt spirtuality stuff really doesn't appeal to me.

That said, I wonder if anyone here could recommend any nearby dojos? I live in Islington in inner north London.

Arigato gozaimasu
Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hajimemashite

Hi Alastair,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
David Partington
Dojo: Reading Zenshin Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Hi Alastair,

The following link will help you search for aikido dojos near you.

http://www.bab.org.uk/club_directory...arch_ukmap.asp

The following link will give info on each organisation in Britain.

http://www.bab.org.uk/associations/associations.asp

We're not all into meditation or the spiritual stuff - there are plenty of other styles out there.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Alastair Rae wrote: View Post
Funny, when I was a teen aikidoka, I didn't even know the name of the style I was studying and ki was rarely ever mentioned. Judging by some of the websites I've been surfing, modern styles seem much more concerned with ki than budo. No offence intended, but meditation and overt spirituality stuff really doesn't appeal to me.
FWIW, whatever spiritual benefit comes from developing Ki (and I will not suggest there is none), comes through actually creating the physical expression of it in the body effective for budo. So, no worries there, and let no one tell you different. In Japanese thought there is no separation of spirit (ki, kami, shin) from mono (thing, substance, physical reality). The body teaches the mind. And vice versa.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
chuunen baka
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Hajimemashite

Quote:
Alastair Rae wrote: View Post
I'm not actually an active aikidoka but I was awarded a yellow belt over 30 years ago. In a fit of ageing angst, I started doing jujutsu which I find fun but a little brutal and, I think, brutalising.

So I find myself lurking here while dithering about carrying on the JJ for a couple of kyu or finding a suitable aikidojo. I can guess what folks on this site will say.
Well, when I first introduced myself I was a jujitsuka but now I'm back in the aikido fold. It was just a matter of time.

I stuck with the jujitsu for a year but their constant heavy duty, hip throw splat-on-the-mat style breakfalling was just too hard on my middle-aged body. More than that I was finding the whole thing too macho and aggressive. The last straw was being injured by a careless instructor on a course. (You can read the sorry details here)

I've found a good aikidojo with a no-nonsense approach and a nice bunch of people. Here's to some good training. Ganbatte!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!