Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-07-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
FionaByrne
Question Advice Please

Hi

I am thinking of going to Aiki Expo in spring but I only have a few months aikido experience.

Given the impressive line up do you think it would be worth it for me? Would I be able to get anything out of it? I imagine many of you will be there. Will it be worth it for the social aspect alone if the aikido is too advanced for me?

thanks,

Fiona
Old 01-07-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Whatever you do, do not microwave the kitten.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Advice Please

Quote:
Originally posted by FionaByrne
Hi

I am thinking of going to Aiki Expo in spring but I only have a few months aikido experience.

Given the impressive line up do you think it would be worth it for me? Would I be able to get anything out of it? I imagine many of you will be there. Will it be worth it for the social aspect alone if the aikido is too advanced for me?

thanks,

Fiona
If you can afford to go and can get there, my advice is by all means go. I'm sure you'll get plenty out of it, in terms of inspiration if nothing else.

The Aikido Journal website has a discussion forum specifically for people to talk about the Expo. If you're still not sure, maybe you should ask your question there.

ps: If you do go, will you take lots of pictures and put them on a website, please?

Sean
x
Old 01-07-2002, 09:51 PM   #4
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
The first seminar I went to (Birmingham, UK), I was barely 2 weeks old as an aikidoka. The ppl I met there were superb and inspirational.The support I got from them and the visiting senseis was invaluable in giving me a good lasting impression of aikido.

If you can go, go. It doesn't matter that some of the techniques taught there would be very complicated for beginners. There would always be some emphasis on basic techniques as well. Besides, its about meeting new ppl as well.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
guest1234
When I went to my first seminar, I'd had 3-4 months of Aikido in a dojo that mixed Yoshinkai and Aikikai styles (and been booted out of it ), and it was an Iwama seminar. Everyone was friendly and nice, and no one complained about the very small white belt with a funny stance and giant rolls. At least not to my face. I don't recall all of the sensei's who taught, but do fondly recall getting help from each of them as they travelled the mat (Thank You! once again to Alexander, Goto, and Tatoian Senseis...hmmm, is that the proper plural?)

Any way, I learned a lot, and I'm sure you will too...and if it gets to be all too much, well, I always get a lot from watching. I hope we'll have a chance to train together there!

Oh, one last thing...some senseis don't want their beginners to train at a different style's seminars...me, well, I can't live with rules like that, but I don't advocate over throw of dojo rules, either, so you might want to consider asking a senior or your sensei if it's OK...or not...
Old 01-07-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
guest1234
ps,
I will now share my best observation of seminar training: always try to grab a blackbelt (yeah, so what else is new)...and the easiest time to do this is the Sunday am session. They are sore and tired after pounding each other for two or three days, and there is usually a fair amount of alcohol to be had in the evenings. Rather than chase them down (like the earlier sessions) I find the yudansha to be eagerly grabbing for me, with a 'come here little white belt beginner girl, we'll do this REAAALLL slow so you can get it right, and the room stops moving...'
Old 01-07-2002, 10:23 PM   #7
akiy

Although the price tag for the event is a bit steep, I think it'll be a good event nonetheless. I'm all for supporting events that bring together people from across stylistic and organizational boundaries.

As for seminar tips, here's my article on the subject:

http://www.aikiweb.com/training/akiy6.html

-- Jun, who'll be there at the Aiki Expo

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!