Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-28-2001, 09:08 AM   #1
Vera Cordwood
Is it true that Obata Toshishiro Kaiso...

... the founder of Shinkendo, is an Aikidoka, and if so, what is his rank?
Old 12-28-2001, 11:22 AM   #2
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: Is it true that Obata Toshishiro Kaiso...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vera Cordwood
... the founder of Shinkendo, is an Aikidoka, and if so, what is his rank?
Hello Vera,

Yes, Obata Sensei is an aikidoka! He was an uchi deshi under Gozo Shioda Kancho for 7 years at the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo. He attained the rank of 7th dan before he left.

As you mentioned he went on to create the sword art of Shinkendo after many years of practicing several sword styles. You can read more about his history at his website: www.shinkendo.com

His aikido organization is called "Aikibujutsu Tanren Kenkyukai" or "Aikibuken" for short! The dojo where I train in Arizona is affilated with Obata Soke in both Aikido & Shinkendo.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 01-06-2002, 11:38 AM   #3
Mike Haber
Mr. Vickery, A Question?

What is Obata Kaiso's aikido like? I know that he trained directly under Shioda Kancho but what is his aikido like?

Also, in Yoshinkan, what is iriminage like? I have seen two different ways of doing iriminage. One way is like how I have seen Isoyama and Saito do it by using a tenkan or opening and turning off the line and then returning back the same way and cutting down the uke. The other is the way Seagal does it with a direct enter into the attack and cutting down the uke. There is no tenkan in his movement.

Sincerely,

Mike Haber
Old 01-06-2002, 04:57 PM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
Re: Mr. Vickery, A Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Haber
One way is like how I have seen Isoyama and Saito do it by using a tenkan or opening and turning off the line and then returning back the same way and cutting down the uke. The other is the way Seagal does it with a direct enter into the attack and cutting down the uke. There is no tenkan in his movement.
BTW, there is no tenkan in Saito Shihan's iriminnage kihon waza. On enters directly into shikaku.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-07-2002, 07:58 AM   #5
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States

Quote:
What is Obata Kaiso's aikido like? I know that he trained directly under Shioda Kancho but what is his aikido like?

Also, in Yoshinkan, what is iriminage like? I have seen two different ways of doing iriminage. One way is like how I have seen Isoyama and Saito do it by using a tenkan or opening and turning off the line and then returning back the same way and cutting down the uke. The other is the way Seagal does it with a direct enter into the attack and cutting down the uke. There is no tenkan in his movement.
Hello Mike!

Obata Kaiso's aikido has definite Yoshinkan roots. It's direct, hard, efficient and effective.

I can't answer your question about 'iriminage' in Yoshinkan, Obata Kaiso is not affiliated with the Yoshinkan hombu dojo. But in his organization
( Aikibujutsu Tanren Kenkyukai), iriminage is taught in both the sequences that you mentioned, along with third variation that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'll try and describe that third variation. The attack can be almost anything: yokomenuchi, munetuski, katadori, katatedori, ryotedori, kosadori, etc. Nage cuts/blends ukes strike/grab down as he enters in front of uke, in a continuous circular movement nage then guides that attacking arm up and over the opposite shoulder, while simultaneously grabbing the back of ukes neck or shoulder with his other hand. Then with a hip snap nage throws uke onto his back.

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Last edited by Brian Vickery : 01-07-2002 at 08:02 AM.

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 01-08-2002, 02:14 AM   #6
Nathan Pereira
Dojo: Joseikan Jui Jitsu/MMA/Aikido Rickmansworth, Herts
England
The two basic ways practiced in Yoshinkan are the 'ichi' and 'ni' versions that we have for 99% of techniques.

The most basic application of this is from a grabbing attack where a grab and pulling action attack would be the Ichi version of the technique and a grab and push would be the ni technique.

I suspect these are the basic kihon versions you have seen. There are numerous variations for jiyu waza etc which tend to be shorter and make uke hit the ground very hard.

I hope this helps.

"Its just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Old 01-08-2002, 04:40 AM   #7
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

Quote:
Hi Mike,

what you seem to be describing are the omote and ura (or
irimi and tenkan) basic forms of iriminage. Most Yoshinkan,
aikikai and ki soc. dojos practice these as basic forms (as
Nathan said, the style of attack differs between aikido
styles), as they do with almost all techniques.

Tim
Old 01-08-2002, 05:04 AM   #8
Mares
Re: Re: Mr. Vickery, A Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Jennings

BTW, there is no tenkan in Saito Shihan's iriminnage kihon waza. On enters directly into shikaku.

Regards,
Greg,

I understand that you Iwama Style Aikido, please correct me if I'm wrong. But in relation to this, have you seen or know of Saito Shihan doing the direct entry irimi nage (from ki no nagare) Seagal Sensei style? Is this a variation Saito Shihan teaches or shows?

Regards

Michael

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches