Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
d2l

Dojo: Purple Dragon School Of Self Defense
United_States
Introduction

Allow me to get the hang of posting on here please . I currently study Aikido as well as Aiki-Jutsu. Both forms have helped me in ways mere words can not describe. Let me tell you all a little about myself. I am a Correctional Officer Sgt. at Florida State Prison. I served in the United States Army, with my command unit being the 4th Infantry Division. I have been all over. I have seen many violent things, and at the same time have been very violent myself. One day I was just sitting around on my day off, and thought I needed some form of stress release. It dawned on me that Aikido/Jutsu might be for me. I did a little research into what it was that I needed, and found the school that suited my needs . Allow me to explain why Aikido is so dear to me, and how it has helped me. Being a former Soldier, and a Correctional Officer in VERY violent places, I needed to find a way to fight without fighting. If that makes any sense. As the years have gone by in the prison system, the days of "grounding and pounding" one are over. We are under such a microscope over abusing their so called "civil rights", that I needed to find a form which not only relaxes, but at the same time allows the freedom to use arresting techniques, as well as if need be, destroy. While this sounds like a contradiction, it is not meant to be. Because of Aikido, I have found myself being able to do anything from just talking someone down into a calmer state, to arresting techniques, to even death in the extreme. Before Aikido found me, I was very much in the do or die mode when it came to facing an "enemy". In fact when I first started studying Aikido (only 3 years ago) my Sensai saw how rough and overly violent I was in the Dojo with other Deshi. He realized this was not meant to be on purpose by me, it was just how I was trained. He let me understand that we were all here to LEARN in the Dojo, and that this was not a battlefiled or prison. This struck a profound chord in me. To all the nay sayers out there that say Aikido does NOT work in real life, I am living proof that it does. I am glad Aikido found me.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Introduction

Welcome to Aiki-Web, Anthony. Your intro reminds me of my first months in aikido, when I met and trained with an US Air Force pilot. He was being deployed to Iraq in the next month or so, and had a mean shihonage. The teacher gave him a similar piece of advice, that we were all on the same side. Sensei went on to prescribe that should he(the pilot) be shot down, he was welcome to bring back as many severed arms as he needed.

Anyhow, nice to have your additional perspective.

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
akiy

Re: Introduction

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

Can you please refrain from posting in all bold in the future? Doing so makes your message hard to read. Thanks.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!