Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom
Yoshinkan Aikido?

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anybody had trained in yoshinkan aikido? I have traind in aikikai aikido for 7 years and was wondering if there were any huge differences. from what i could understand yoshinkan is what the riot police use?

many thanks
Jamie

To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is Aikido.

- Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Yoshinkan Aikido?

use the "search" feature and type in the word Yoshinkan.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Joseph Madden
Canada

Jamie,
Yoshinkan is derived directly from O-Sensei himself as Kancho Shioda(the founder of Yoshinkan) was his student. The main difference
between Yoshinkan and Aikikai is in the aesthetics mainly. You don't usually wear hakama until your dan rated (in the case of my Dojo, until
you have reached 5th dan). Atemi is usually a full on strike rather than a distraction. Some of the terminology is changed. Ikkajo rather than Ikkyo for instance. Most aikikai students find it very easy to slide into Yoshinkan with a little help. We've had/have several aikikai students at our dojo. In Britain, one of the best Yoshinkan sensei is Anthony Yates. You can chech him out at You Tube or on his web site. With regards to the riot police, all are trained in the instructor course at the Hombu dojo before returning to their respective districts or prefectures to train their fellow officers.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
SentWest
Dojo: East County Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Jamie Kenyon wrote: View Post
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anybody had trained in yoshinkan aikido?
I've been training in yoshinkan for just over a month now, and as this is my first experience with aikido I'm not sure how much help I'll be to you (since I have nothing to compare my training to), but I'll give you a few impressions.

Please keep in mind that my experience is most certainly colored by the instructor's style as well:

We focus much less it seems on the spiritual aspect of Osensei's orginal aikido, and more on tactics. We do quite a bit of work on Boyd's Cycle and stress training. There's also training in command presence.

The training itself is probably somewhat rougher and has more emphasis on developing physically overall as well as within the martial art. For example, we do about an hour of PT before we start training.

After watching videos of several aikido styles, we seem to have a "sharper" movements rather than the flowing methods of other styles. Attacks are most definitely committed and one can certainly get hurt if they're not on their toes.

Just to reiterate, the instructor and the advanced students are mostly cops/retired cops, so some of this may be local color. I hope I was somewhat helpful, but I encourage you to look for answers from those with more experience than I.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Briefly i wanna say, Yoshinkan Aikido is tough enough

KamiKaze

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.