Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Poll of Chinkon Kishin training (or variations)

Quote:
[These practices, per Hikitsuchi] (http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~mckellar/aiki/1999/0.html ) was transmitted to him by O Sensei and was a daily practice of his.
It was suggested that I start a post to poll readers here which portions (if any) they do of chinkon kishin or related practices as a part of their practice.

The linked source, a portion of which I (liberally) synopsize here for my purpose (for more detail go to the link, and thanks to the translators, Ward Rafferty and assistants.) The link holds forth as a translation, approved by Hikitsuchi ,of his observance according to what O Sensei did, (but there are differing views on this).

# 1. (not titled) but seems to describe what we have been told to call chi no kokyu and ten no kokyu.
#2. Shinkokyu
#3. Torifune (Left)
#4 Furitama (with what seems to be an intent to focus on TEN no kokyu)
#5 Torifune (Right)
#6 Furitama(with what seems to be an intent to focus on CHI no kokyu)
#7 Torifune (left)
#8 Furitama (we focus on the "center" which happens to = Minakanushi no kami)
#9 repeat #1 (ten/chi no kokyu)

(There are 10 through 13 also which I have no experience with.)

Hopefully others will offer their own experience with these or related practices in response, to gain a broader sense of the continuity of this aspect of practice.

My experience is as follows:

When I began in Aikido in 1984/1985, I recall Dennis Hooker was teaching us the movements of 1-9, in sequences, although I did not remember (or at the time failed to perceive the fact of) them being in a defined sequence. I know we did the basic thigns decribed at various times and in conjunction with one another. That was where I learned them. We often did sequences in smaller parts than that shown nor did single parts in isolation. We did not (and do not) do a lot of the claps and very few kotodama, other than "Eii" and "Sa" (sometimes Eii/Ho if I remember correctly) while doing torifune, though now it ispretty much exclusively "Eii/Sa," at least when we do it.

While I was wandering the world, Frank Calhoun continued the above practice in those variations in the dojo here after Hooker went south, and Calhoun Sensei still does and encourages other instructors under him to do so. And we continue it today as a regular practice, particularly the individual exercises in isolation or as correctives (although not in every practice). In conjunction we also do a number of the other kokyu undo. I think we also did a form of what (for lack of a better word) I'll describe as a ten-chi sort of shikko squat and rise, (which I may have picked up elsewhere than with Hooker Sensei, but I cannot really recall now), but I am the only one who really does that the same way these days, and others do something similar but not quite the same as I learned it

We are somewhat provincial geographically, and not large, but we keep it up. We (the regular instructors) do routinely try relate the principles of those movements to the errors we see in practice (as well as our own when we catch them). We often do the the movements to which those errors relate as correctives -- which, not surprisingly, tends to correct most of the errors, for a while, anyway.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Poll of Chinkon Kishin training (or variations)

Familiar with Chinkon Kishin, but in my opinion, without really direct and specific hands on instruction, I'm not sure the real kigong information is transmitted.

Many of the other exercises in the Yoshinkan have been morphed into the basic movements in one form or another...again, without certain specific details, I'm not sure how much of the original intent is maintained.

Still learning,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I'm not sure the real kigong information is transmitted.
Heh. That's as garbled as something I'd say, Ron. Try "Kiko" or "Qigong", but not "kigong". Good one.

Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
It was suggested that I start a post to poll readers here which portions (if any) they do of chinkon kishin or related practices as a part of their practice.
I do all of those things, in essence, but none of them in that particular format, Erick. To me it's like a question of, for instance, "who does the Wu-style Square Form Taiji?". A thousand people might raise their hands, because they all do that specific choreography... but only a few people actually have any jin, so only a few are really doing any particular "steps" correctly. You have to go by results, not choreography.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yikes! Thanks Mike!

Best,
Ron (oops)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
gdandscompserv

United_States

Would Systema Breathing exercises be regarded as "related?"
Old 02-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Rev.K. Barrish

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja
United_States

Re: CHINKON KISHIN / CHINKON GYO-HO and CHINKON- SAHO and information of Shrine/Aikido Intern Program Opening

Chinkon is the "active Shinto Meditation" capable of healing the disconnect between mind/ body / spirit and self and nature......the true meaning of Chinkon (Kanji is same as Mitama Shizume—to quiet/pacify [reintegrate] restless soul) is to tune ourselves as living Himorogi (antennae for divine/kami Ki) so we can come closer to receive the "heartbeat and breath" of Okami.

Chinkon saho (movement) contains furitama (lit: soul shaking) which is from Jumbi Taiso (preparatory exercise ) of Misogi Shu-ho (purification in moving water) and along with Ame-noTorifune no Gyo and Ibuki-Undo common in Aikido Jumbi Taiso.

Here at Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America we practice formal Chinkon-Gyo-Ho regularly …(Tsubaki Grand Shrine in Japan and US enshrines SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI Aikido's Ancestor Kami and AMENOUZUMENOMIKOTO who is Kami of Chinkon).

Although we practice the complete formal Chinkon Gyoho regularly we alo practice a shortened form as Yuuhai (evening ceremony) at the close of Aikido Keiko….. here are some notes of Ryaku (shortened) Chinkon practice…anyone interested in the more complete form please contact the Jinja…

RYAKU CHINKON GYOHO
Short Chinkon practice (done before Kamiza or Yorishiro [temporary resting place of Okami- picture of O'Sensei etc] or outside focus on sun , mountain etc)

Shin yu (= 45 degree bow , duration 2 seconds) then furitama while saying very softly:SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI, SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI, SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI

Nirei (2 bows—deep 90 degree bow-duration 3 seconds)

MISOGI-NO-OHARAI-NO-KOTOBA

TAKAMA-NO-HARA NI KAMUZUMARIMASU*
*when recited in a group this line is read only by the saishyu, the leader of the ritual

KAMUROGI KAMUROMI NO MIKOTO MOCHITE
SUME MI OYA KAMU IZANAGI NO MIKOTO

TSUKUSHI NO HIMUKA NO TACHIBANA NO ODO NO AHAGIHARA NI

MISOGI HARAE TAMAISHI TOKI NI ARE MASERU
HARAEDO NO O KAMITACHI

MOROMORO NO MAGAGOTO TSUMI KEGARE O
HARAI TAMAE KIYOME TAMAE TO

MOSU KOTO NO YOSHI O
AMATSU KAMI KUNITSU KAMI

YAOYOROZU NO KAMITACHI TOMO NI
KIKOSHIMESE TO
KASHIKOMI KASHIKOMI MO MAOSU

Translation of MISOGI-NO-O-HARAI:

Upon the will of the Great Spirit, by which the Universe is initiated in the cosmic force of creation by the Kamis (Divine Spirit) of birth and growth, and through which the solar system is united in the force of harmony by the Kamis of Yin and Yang, the Kamis of purification came to exist from the impurities which Izanagi-no-Mikoto (Divine creator of the solar system) cleansed from his body in the divine river of heaven.
We will be able to recognize (see) the Kami (truth), only after we purify ourselves of all negativity, impurities, faults and restore ourselves to what we are meant to be (natural brightness).

HI-FU-MI-NORITO (please pray slowly, 1, 3 or 5 times)

HI-FU-MI-YO-I-MU-NA-YA-KO-TO-MO-CHI-RO-RA-NE-SHI-KI-RU-YU-I-TSU-WA-NU-SO-O-TA-HA-KU-ME-KA-U-O-E-NI-SA-RI-HE-TE-NO-MA-SU-A-SE-HE-HO-RE-KE

HI FU MI YO I MU NA YA KO TO

I = 2nd I from Mi-itsu (virtue when referring to absolute). Added to the worlds vital forces it is divine will and action of that will. Kojiki: emergence of Sangen-no-Hosoku/ 3 element rule

MU= from Musubi. Also in kokemusu, meaning moss-that which grows from the earth, linking with natural force..Kojiki: cosolidation of Kunitsu Kami

NA = from Naru (to become) and Naosu (to do) implies both

YA = related to Ya Masu Masu (more and more) indicates development Kojiki: Na and Ya and aspects of growth in the world Ototama = flying power

KO = last syllable of Myako (to congeal, centripetalize, solidify form a block) Kojiki: unification of the powers of heaven and earth

TO = as in togeru (to accomplish) Tomaru (to stop) completion connecting vertical and horizontal musubi.. Kojiki: accomplished Universe

MO CHI RO air gas ether
RA NE SHI KI gathering prayer
RU YU ITSU HA NU SO Musubi (generative combining life giving forces)
O TA HA KU U O EE NI Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto
SA RE HE TO the large sound of KI returning to source
NO MA SU Naoru (to pray w/ respect)
A SE HE HO RE KE.......... Shinjin Goitsu (spriritual coalescence)

that information is from my note taken when I 1st learned the Chinkon method from Rev Kawashima Toshitaka who is a very Senior Priest of Tsubaki Grand Shrine and also Guji of his own shrine.

the furube-no-kamu-waza of Chinkon practice is meant to activate the energy body and also tie the golden thread ..maybe best way to think about it is activate (raise the vibrational level) and tune the body to be sensitive to Okami's heartbeat and breath. The 2nd set of movements is higher (more refined) frequency...the 1 st set stirs up the body and reorganizes, the 2nd set if communication with Kami

MIKUSA NO O HARAE (please pray slowly, 1, 3 or 5 times)

TOUKAMI
EMI TAME
KAN-GON-SHIN-SON-RI-KON-DA-KEN
HARAE TAMAE KIYOME DE TAMAOU

Switch to anza (sit with soles of feet touching each other and hands together)

FURUBE-NO-KAMU-WAZA

In with index finger extended…vertical movement between height of hara and eyebrow while saying HI-FU-MI-YO-I-MU-NA-YA-KO-TO 10 times

IBUKI UNDO (deep breathing to hara—in through nose out through mouth)
re: Breathing direction...

for men: on inhalation please spiral the breath in a downward leftward spiral from heaven to earth (Kamuromi- heaven's descending KI) and on exhalation please spiral in a rightward ascending manner (Kamurogi- earths ascending KI)

for women: on inhalation please spiral the breath in an ascending rightward spiral from earth to heaven (Kamurogi-earths ascending KI) and on exhalation please entrain with the descending leftward spiral (Kamuromi- heavens descending KI)

re: Breath..the O-HARAHI-NO-KOTOBA (Great words of purification) teach us that "Life is full of energy and cheerfullness and is filled w/ living KI..." Breath connect human beings to Uchiki and Sotoki.........to breath in and out is evidence of life...breathing is a simple thing for the living, yet so important as it decides on the fate of the living. A child grows to be a healthy adult by breathing..this is kiketsu. Not only physical growth is facilitated be breath but spiritual growth as well--this is called shouketsu. The circulation of the atmosphere and the Kiketsu/shouketsu of sotoki and uchiki in the Universe make the Breath of life.

Return to seiza

RYAKU NIPPAISHI

Sarutahiko no Ō Kami shines up to the Expanse of High Heaven,
Casting illumination across the great Earthly realm of the Ancient Land.
Kami wa Takama no Hara o terashi
Shimo wa Ashihara no Nakatsu Kuni o
Kagayakashi tamō

Divine winds envelop Tsubaki Grand Shrine, the first shrine of Ise,
Where dwells the great, bright deity Sarutahiko no Ō Kami.
Kamikaze no Ise no kuni ichi no miya
Tsubaki Dai Myo Jin Sarutahiko no Ō Kami

Sweep the impurities from my being and purify my spirit;
Grant me protection; grant me happiness;
Restore brightness to my soul and give me guidance.
Harae tamae kiyome tamae mamori tamae
Sakiwae tamae terashi tamae michibiki tamae

Each day and each night,
Grant me good health and spiritual renewal;
Humbly, reverently, I speak these words.
Sugasugashiku sukoyaka ni higoto yogoto o
Arashime tamae to
Kashikomi kashikomi mo maosu

NI REI NI HAKKUSHI IPPAI (please bow 2 times, clap 2 times, bow 1 time)

SHRINE/AIKIDO INTERN POSITION AT
TSUBAKI GRAND SHRINE OF AMERICA

Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America is accepting applications for the SHINTO/AIKIDO INTERN. This full time position can be approached as a 3 month to 2 year commitment. The position includes all training, private quarters in shrine guest house and a stipend. Please contact Rev. Barrish (Shrine Priest)

Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America
17720 Crooked Mile
Granite Falls, WA 98252
USA
www.TsubakiShrine.org
Kannushi@TsubakiShrine.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tsubakiko
(360) 691-6389