Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Sam Turnage

Dojo: Grass Valley Aikiki
United_States
Hello from NorCal

I just wanted to say hi I just found this site and I will most likely find it to be very useful in the future.

I am a 33 year old Construction Superintendent I'm married and have been with my wife since I was 18 years old and I have to kids Autumn 9 and my boy Sayer 5, both are in Aikido. Autumn started at age 7 and is currently studying for her red belt test and Sayer just started a couple months ago.

I've always seen myself as a warrior or a protector type as long as I can remember when I was a little boy I didn't want to be a Doctor, firefighter, or a police officer, no I wanted to be a solder in the US Special Forces. It wasn't until I got much older, wise, and more into politicks, about 16-17 years of age that I revised that I was a warrior not a solder and that there was a big difference. I began talking Judo at the age of 7 and received my Green belt in no time. I also studied system 5 Karate off and on for a few years too. On top of this I was also a very competitive young man and I am the stereotypical "use to be has been" athlete. I was very serious and was lifting weights when most kids my age were still playing with GI Joe. Being one of the best/strongest athletes around I was often challenged and I never lost a signal scrap, my instinct, strength, and learned basic fighting skills always prevailed. But at the age of 16 I stated experiencing sever tendonitis in the knees with made training and college football impossible maybe the Special Forces too. With helped me to realize the fact there is always someone bigger and stronger and that for Self defense etc there has to be a better way then the typical mucho American Karate meet force with force etc.

The type or "way" that I was looking for is like the stuff I had seen in the Steven Seigal moves but I had no idea what that was. It wasn't until a friend of mine an ex navy seal told me about Aikido and invited me to a class. Unfortunately for me the sensei was moving out of the area. Years later when new instructors came to town, I could not go, so now finally, I am training in the "The Way"

Regards

Sam

"If we are wise, let us perpare for the worst."

George Washington
Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello from NorCal

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb. It's nice to hear that your kids are both in aikido, too.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Sam Turnage

United_States

the fam and I are into what is called Overlanding and we have a 1994 FZJ80 Toyota LandCruiser. We like to explore and spend a lot of time out doors.

George Washington
Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I have a good friend that lives in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area: Dr. Kent Vernon and also Dr. Dave Hayes both chiropractors. I have visited your area and stayed a few days. Real nice in the mountains.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Sam Turnage

United_States

oops... In my rush I did not edit or read my intro before I posted, I see there are several mistakes in there that can make reading it a little challanging. Sorry for that and now I don't seem to have a way of editing.

I am glad you liked the area, come visit any time.

George Washington
Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
bushido

Dojo: bushido
Morocco

hi nice to meet you too