Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
bob_s
sticky jo

hello all,
I recently purchased a Japanese white oak jo and applied Watco Teak oil. I applied one coat, let it penetrate for ~10 min, then wiped it off and applied another light coat. I let it sit for another 10 min then wiped it again and let it penetrate and dry overnight. Its been around 2 days now and the surface of the jo is pretty sticky. It seems like some of the oil may not have fully penetrated and dried on the surface of the staff. Will this go away with use or should I try to lightly sand the jo?

Thanks,
Robert S.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: sticky jo

Seems like an awful lot of oil for a jo: most of the instructions I have seen/followed call for a couple of drops on the hand, warmed up, and rubbed in.
I'll leave it to more experienced wood folks to put forth solutions to the current problem...

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

I'd take either a sticky bun or a sloppy joe, but a sticky jo sounds like bad news...

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
SmilingNage
United_States

Did you sand the jo first with a light weight sand paper? Most times weapons are shipped with a fine varnish on them. That needs to be removed with a light sanding before applying the oil.

I would sand the jo. Then apply the lightest amount oil. It sounds as if either you did not sanded the jo initially or applied way to much oil. So easy on the oil pedal lead foot.

Last edited by SmilingNage : 11-28-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Pierre Kewcharoen

Dojo: Aikido at NJIT
United_States

Are you sure u didn't use pancake syrup as your jo oil?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Chris Farnham
Dojo: Aikido of Champlain Valley/Hamamatsu Aikidokai/Aikido Shidokai
United_States

I have always been told to use boiled linseed oil after sanding off the factory finish. It is usually a little sticky for a day or two, but then the stickiness goes away. Of course teak oil may act differently.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

I've never used teak oil. I generally use "Howard's Orange Oil" or just a light mineral oil. As stated above, always sand the light varnish that most wood weapons come with before oiling. For new weapons, I usually over oil, then wrap in a garbage bag and store flat for a few days. Then sand, oil, bag, wait... a few times before I put a do a final (finer) sanding. A properly oiled stick will feel slightly oily when you're done, which is why you need to wait a few days between your last oiling and using the thing, the oil should be drawn into the grain over a couple days.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog
Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
BC

I have used teak oil with success, but usually cut it with some mineral spirits for the first couple applications, then sand lightly after each application.

Robert Cronin
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Robert Schwartz wrote: View Post
...applied Watco Teak oil. --- It seems like some of the oil may not have fully penetrated and dried on the surface of the staff. Will this go away with use or should I try to lightly sand the jo?
Watco is linseed based, and has a varnish component -- what ahs probably occurred is that the manufacturers varnish is now dissolved or emulsified in the Watco product which has affected its drying. I would start over. Linseed based finishes darken adn soften with age. Tung oil does not

I milled my own jo and finished it about twenty years ago, and has seen good service with no further attention . With your situation I would strip the existing finish you have attempted, with either mineral spirits, or turpentine several times drying completely between, Then I would use 100% pure tung oil (NOT "tung oil finish", whihc has other varnish components) Cut with mineral spirit or turpentine proportion about 1:2 upt o about 50-/50. Pure gum turpentine is better than mineral spirits, overall, and contributes to the finish, mineral spirits will not.

For furniture you start with about 1:2 oil to thinner, and then add progressively richer proporiton oil coats. With a jo, it will be handled and the oil of your hands will keep the finish up with use, so I would only use one or two coats (two in my case), with nothing more than 50/50 mix, wet sand each coat after applying, and then dry buff with 000 or 0000 steel wool until the desired smoothness and grip/slip preference is obtained.

Have fun.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
bob_s

Thanks again. So should I put some turpentine on a rag and just wipe down the jo, then let it dry and repeat?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
bob_s

YAY!!!! I applied 2 applications of turpentine (apply light coat, let sit for 5 min, and wipe off excess, then sand with 0000 synthetic steel wool). Now my jo is super nice, not sticky and not slick. Thank you all for saving me $45!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Let's hear it for the collective brain working!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
Gonšalo Alves
Portugal

after sand the jo, you just have to do 1000 suburis. the jo gets the oil from your sweat and after some time it gets perfect!!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
Mato-san
Iceland

lol

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #15
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. I have been fairly successful over the years with lightly sanding my wooden weapons and then rubbing plain vegetable oil on them. After that, the natural oil from my hands from constant use usually does the trick.

In gassho

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com