Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #51
"AnonymusGuy"
IP Hash: 47375ae7
Anonymous User
Re: Problems in a dojo

BTW Maybe it takes two to start a fight, but one isquite enough for harrasment...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #52
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I always try to solve a problem if there is one, but in this particular case why should I waste my time trying to fix a problem, when the other side is not interested...?
I rest my case.

So why do you stay if you feel you're being harassed and the problem is unfixable? Like I said, the answer is right in front of you. Time to stop the whining and move on.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #53
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

I've found the following to be helpful in many situations and in many senses - slippers are made for walking too

"If it is peace you want, seek to change yourself, not other people. It is easier to protect your feet with slippers than to carpet the whole of the earth." not sure who said it Ghandi maybe?

"God grant me the serentity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference", Anon

Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #54
dps

Full Original Serenity Prayer
by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #55
dps

To a disciple who was forever complaining about others the Master said, "If it is peace you want, seek to change yourself, not other people. It is easier to protect your feet with slippers than to carpet the whole of the earth." -Anthony de Mello, SJ

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #56
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

I agree. It sucks to have to "move on" when you have found a dojo where you are happy with the style, location, pricing, and so forth. And I'm surprised to see so many people simply say "move on" when there may not be anywhere to move on to. But truth is that even 1 (in my case it was more) dkheads can really make the dojo experience an unpleasant one.

We all know this art requires a partner. In my case, childish adult students would hog ukes. (Work in 3's and leave me odd man out - or rotate working with new students to make sure I had no uke). Head instructor saw it all, and did nothing till I got fed up and started name calling. Then "I" was the one banished.

Seriously - as nice as the place may be, if you feel you're getting nowhere with the cho, and things are not going to improve - it's time to say "Sayonara"

Shannon
(now in a MUCH nicer place)

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I have to admit, I like the *idea* of not quitting...but sometimes the reality is that you cut your losses. Especially if the senior instructor is as "hands off" as the posts make it seem. But my view could be totally skewed...

B,
R

Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #57
"boon"
IP Hash: 183beb05
Anonymous User

Quote:

Maybe I put it a bit wrong in my previous post about that girl. She was former karate student (black belt) and she was the one that was a bit arrogant; Every time when someone tried to explain her some technique she was always reacting in a "leave me alone I already know this" manner... and at the end every class she would intentionally get in a way and disturb us while we were folding our hakamas (for example she would intentionally step on it or pull those cords used to tie hakama and disturb our work), and when we asked her not to do it she wouldn't listen, or even threaten us with her karate skill.
You let littel Kroty Gurl (TM) bully ya... LOL!

Now go lurn sum grappling and sankaku hur all yer want...

Boon.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #58
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Maybe I put it a bit wrong in my previous post about that girl. She was former karate student (black belt) and she was the one that was a bit arrogant; Every time when someone tried to explain her some technique she was always reacting in a "leave me alone I already know this" manner... and at the end every class she would intentionally get in a way and disturb us while we were folding our hakamas (for example she would intentionally step on it or pull those cords used to tie hakama and disturb our work), and when we asked her not to do it she wouldn't listen, or even threaten us with her karate skill.
Yer let a Kroty Gurl (TM) bully ya? LOL

Now go lurn sum T3H GR4PPL3 and sankaku hur all ya want....

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #59
Pierre Kewcharoen

Dojo: Aikido at NJIT
United_States

huh
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #60
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Quote:
A few times I visited other Aikido clubs in my area (different styles). Later, when my dojo cho heard about that, he told me it was bad thing to do, that ill get egotistic, and asked me if I think that I'm better than the rest of the people in dojo, etc.
Until I read this, I was thinking that you should try to arrange a meeting with both your dojo-cho and the harassing jerk under the guise of 'informing you of the ettiquite you have been breaching,' but after reading this I think you should cut your losses and find another dojo. What is described above is not a healthy attitude.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #61
"AnonymusGuy"
IP Hash: 3f4b964a
Anonymous User
Arrow Re: Problems in a dojo

Just a small update from me....

Unfortunately, due to some serious health problems, I had to quit training, and so far I've been off the mat for about year and a half. I still hope for the best, and that I will return one day... But I've made the decision that it will definitely be in some other dojo.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #62
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Leave......

Seems the dojo is led and run by....... w.....s?
Or is it you?

Take Care ....... anonymous

Tony
Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #63
"AnonymusGuy"
IP Hash: db763ec8
Anonymous User

Unfortunately, there will be no more Aikido for me. Doctor's orders. Due to serious problems with my heart I must avoid all physical activities. ((
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #64
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Brian Vickery wrote: View Post
...I also agree with this approach, talking with the guy 'man to man' outside the dojo over a beer. My guess from what little you've said is that this guy just has no respect for you at all, and this meeting will at least start him thinking that maybe he's made the wrong assumption about you. He might not even be aware that he's been such a jerk toward you, and this will at least bring that to his attention. If he refuses or continues to treat you disrespectfully during/after your talk, then the guy is just an arrogant jerk, and there's nothing you can do about it.

...but where I differ from Ron's opinion is that I would NOT leave the dojo! Continue to train, just ignore this idiot! And don't 'fight' this guy, that's just plain wrong! [A fight won't decide who is right, it just decides who is stronger!!! ...not very Aiki!]

...by doing the beer thing, you've done all you can to fix the problem, but sometimes problems just can't be fixed ...and life goes on! ...BUT DON'T QUIT!!!!!
Dear Brian,
Why waste a good beer on a prat?Sad to say you always meet some stupid person who thinks they are the bees knees.
If you victim decided to bop this idiot , he had it coming.Why do aikidoka think there is always a peaceful resolution to everything ?Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #65
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Full Original Serenity Prayer
by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

David
A very nice poem, thanks I just read it because Niall quoted it in his comment to the posthttp://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/moon-in...anifesto-4195/
Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #66
"Sweetpotato"
IP Hash: 1b8ae498
Anonymous User

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Brian,
Why waste a good beer on a prat?Sad to say you always meet some stupid person who thinks they are the bees knees.
If you victim decided to bop this idiot , he had it coming.Why do aikidoka think there is always a peaceful resolution to everything ?Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind.
Cheers, Joe.
Hi Joe,

Absolutely in agreement with you. Extreme cruelty to the extremely arrogant.

Cheers

Sweet Potato Choong
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #67
Janet Rosen

Another old old thread resurrected by a OP stopping in to say "never mind".....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #68
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

It could be that "never mind" may be looking for something... could it be that the doctor meant no strenuous physical activity. Some hospitals actually sponsor tai chi and yoga classes, and swimming at health centers connected with hospitals, as Tully Center is connected with our Stamford Hospital.

My husband, who has practiced Kung Fu, says that some of the Aikido techniques and exercises can be practiced in a manner similar to Tai Chi, suitable for elderly people and those with injury and other limitations... anonymous may be able to look into something like that....

Anonymous Guy, good luck from both of us, we hope your health improves...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #69
"Johnbo"
IP Hash: 1b9267f3
Anonymous User

There are plenty of people that you will bump into in life that have some form of mental issue where they find it necessary to bully others. Even, if you get past your current issue with him, he will make another problem. I wouldn't even bother going back to the dojo in question. By going back he will only break you down mentally to the point where you cannot think for yourself anymore.

I don't care what the ethics are in the dojo. There is a common eticate that we should all adhere to. That way we all progress and united we are stronger. And before anyone jumps to conclusions, I respect my teacher however, I wouldn't take any crap off anyone!!

No one and I mean no one has any right to bully or dominate another.

Just leave with your sanity intact and don't end up like me, lol !