Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #26
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,035
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo DiPierro's Ranks/Qualifications?

Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro wrote:
(from e-budo.com 07-26-2007), There are a few existing options for iaido in Columbus that you would be competing with, however the ZNKR kendo dojo in Columbus is not one of them. Their kendo is very good but they don't do any iaido. Kotaka's classical kendo group does do iaido, although I don't know anything about it or if they allow people to practice that without the kendo. There is also a Suio-ryu practice group in the area, which I think is primarily iai, as well as some Korean haedong kumdo. You might want to check out one or more of these first, but if you are looking to have someone teach iaido in your space I might be interested. I'm teaching Muso Shinden-ryu in Lancaster on a very limited basis right now, but I'm in Columbus quite often and am considering moving there soon. If you want to get together sometime and discuss it send me a PM.

Regards,
Giancarlo DiPierro
I don't have any wish to get in middle of anything here. Just curious about your background in Muso Shinden-ryu. Not that many teachers around in the middle of the country or anywhere for that matter, so it's always interesting to hear about someone.

There is mention you trained aikido with Kanai Sensei. Of course Kanai Sensei also taught Muso Shinden-ryu iaido for many years. One of my iai teachers started Iaido with Kanai Sensei back around 1979-1980. I started Muso Shinden-ryu myself back in Spring, 1994.

best regards,
Craig Hocker
Houston San Shin Kai

Last edited by kironin : 11-05-2007 at 07:33 PM.

 
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #27
Steven
 
Steven's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
Location: Orangevale, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 635
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
"

PS. We all need to continue to ask him to provide us with REAL credentials. That means Rank, Teacher, Organization, Dates, ......
Why? It doesn't affect me and I can care less. Seems to only be your personal vendetta and quest.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #28
eyrie
 
eyrie's Avatar
Location: Summerholm, Queensland
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,126
Australia
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

I agree with Steven... that's like asking Ueshiba to provide credentials or rank in AIKIDO. There are many arts where rank, teachers and organizations are non-existent. What counts is whether one is any good at what they do, whether they have anything worthwhile to teach, and whether you can learn anything from that person.

As my jujitsu sensei once said... "you can always learn something from somebody".

Ignatius
 
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #29
G DiPierro
Location: Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 365
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo DiPierro's Ranks/Qualifications?

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
There is mention you trained aikido with Kanai Sensei. Of course Kanai Sensei also taught Muso Shinden-ryu iaido for many years. One of my iai teachers started Iaido with Kanai Sensei back around 1979-1980. I started Muso Shinden-ryu myself back in Spring, 1994.
I started iaido with Kanai-sensei in 1998, although I never learned MSR directly from him because of his knee problems. I trained with him off and on until just before he passed away, studying two standing sets as well as the ZNIR toho on one occasion.

MSR I initially learned from one of his students and then also from some high-ranking ZNKR people at a seminar. I've since gone a bit in my own direction with that, adapting some of the details of execution in ways that are different from what other groups do but which I think make better sense from a martial perspective. Unlike aikido, though, I haven't found any way to improve on the kata themselves other than these subtle details that very well could have been in the original and just been lost. They are so rich and contain so much information and possibilities that I don't feel I'm even close to exhausting them.

If you want to discuss this further, feel free to contact me privately since it is an off-topic discussion on an aikido forum.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #30
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
Location: Midland , TX
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 62
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
I agree with Steven... that's like asking Ueshiba to provide credentials or rank in AIKIDO. There are many arts where rank, teachers and organizations are non-existent. What counts is whether one is any good at what they do, whether they have anything worthwhile to teach, and whether you can learn anything from that person.

As my jujitsu sensei once said... "you can always learn something from somebody".
But Unlike Giancarlo's boast,
O'Sensei, had a valid certificate in aiki-jutsu from Takeda Sokaku. Aikido, the Harmony of Nature.Stevens, John.

So your argument doesn't work! O'Sensei was ligit. Giancarlo has not presented proof!

Last edited by Aiki Teacher : 11-05-2007 at 08:47 PM.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #31
Keith R Lee
Location: Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 219
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

Quote:
Johnny Couch wrote: View Post
But Unlike Giancarlo's boast,
O'Sensei, had a valid certificate in aiki-jutsu from Takeda Sokaku. Aikido, the Harmony of Nature.Stevens, John.

So your argument doesn't work! O'Sensei was ligit. Giancarlo has not presented proof!
This is such a crap argument and it comes up all the time in TMAs which are generally concerned with rank, lineage, etc. I'm not defending Giancarlo at all and don't really care where this whole thing is going, but who cares?

Does someone have something worthwhile to say? Are their points valid? Then they're worth listening to in my mind. Sure, someone with a strong background might be able to give more credence to their argument, but that doesn't discount someone's arguments or comments just because they didn't spend a year kissing butt in Japan or something (Not saying in specific to this whole thing with Giancarlo, I've barely been keeping track honestly. This is more of a general comment).

It's one of the major problems I have with Aikido personally. Lineage seems to be more important than performance.

Keith Lee
 
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #32
Aristeia
Location: Auckland
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 971
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

that's because judging performance in Aikido can be a tricky proposition imo.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
 
Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #33
eyrie
 
eyrie's Avatar
Location: Summerholm, Queensland
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,126
Australia
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

Quote:
Johnny Couch wrote: View Post
But Unlike Giancarlo's boast,
O'Sensei, had a valid certificate in aiki-jutsu from Takeda Sokaku.
Ueshiba *may* have had some sort of certification from Takeda.... BUT he certainly didn't have any rank or qualifications in AIKIDO. I'll address the proof issue below:

Quote:
Aristeia wrote:
judging performance in Aikido can be a tricky proposition imo.
Why? How much martial training a person has done can be instantly gleaned from the way they hold themselves and the way they move. And if in doubt, a simple "touch hands" would be sufficient to determine one's level of martial ability.

Obviously, if you can't determine that by looking at the person or feeling them, then there's always the weaker fall back position of rank, teacher and affiliation.

Ignatius
 
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #34
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
Location: Midland , TX
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 62
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

Quote:
Keith Lee wrote: View Post
This is such a crap argument and it comes up all the time in TMAs which are generally concerned with rank, lineage, etc. I'm not defending Giancarlo at all and don't really care where this whole thing is going, but who cares?

Does someone have something worthwhile to say? Are their points valid? Then they're worth listening to in my mind. Sure, someone with a strong background might be able to give more credence to their argument, but that doesn't discount someone's arguments or comments just because they didn't spend a year kissing butt in Japan or something (Not saying in specific to this whole thing with Giancarlo, I've barely been keeping track honestly. This is more of a general comment).

It's one of the major problems I have with Aikido personally. Lineage seems to be more important than performance.
I met Giancarlo in Houston . Threw him even though he resisted, and I am quite abit smaller than he. HIs boast are what are causing people to question his rank.

I realize rank may not be an issue with you. That's fine. But for some in Aikido, lineage is important.

He has made some grandiose claims that he has not been able to substantiate, short of himself. You need to read some of the other threads on resisting shihans. Then you will understand where this is comming from.

I have studied with a so called master before. He could not back up his claims with rank verification either.

This idea about lineage had a whole thread devoted to it about two years ago.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #35
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
Location: Midland , TX
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 62
United_States
Offline
Re: Giancarlo's Qualifications as a Teacher- His Words

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Ueshiba *may* have had some sort of certification from Takeda.... BUT he certainly didn't have any rank or qualifications in AIKIDO. I'll address the proof issue below:

Why? How much martial training a person has done can be instantly gleaned from the way they hold themselves and the way they move. And if in doubt, a simple "touch hands" would be sufficient to determine one's level of martial ability.

Obviously, if you can't determine that by looking at the person or feeling them, then there's always the weaker fall back position of rank, teacher and affiliation.
Read the literature.
Your right about the Aikido. He was the founder! It was his Idea to change from Aikijuijittsu to Aikido.

"Touched Hands with Giancarlo, not impressed!"

Last edited by Aiki Teacher : 11-05-2007 at 10:04 PM.
 
Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #36
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,999
Offline
Re: Giancarlo DiPierro's Ranks/Qualifications?

I think we've had enough discussion on this topic. Rather than discussing matters of personal importance, please direct your attention and energy towards the subjects being discussed. If people wish to pursue your interests towards personal matters, please do so through private communications.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
 

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate