Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
tiyler_durden
Netherlands
lost the feeling

Hey all

Been a while posting, but I seem to have met with a strange wall in my training...I just dont want to train any more, I know it is a sad feeling but I just don't want to train....I want to keep Aikido in my life but I just cannot get off my arse and go training..

Has any one else felt this or have gone through this before?

Much appreciated for the replies...

TD

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: lost the feeling

Quote:
Terence Lax wrote: View Post
Hey all

Been a while posting, but I seem to have met with a strange wall in my training...I just dont want to train any more, I know it is a sad feeling but I just don't want to train....I want to keep Aikido in my life but I just cannot get off my arse and go training..

TD
Hello,

Hisahiburi desu.

Have you stopped shinkendo training also? In your Aikiweb blogs you talked much about training in Shinkendo and I have come to know your shinkendo instructor very well. I can see why there might be good reasons for the strange wall in aikido (in Holland), but I wonder whether this is also true for shinkendo.

However, perhaps this requires a correspondence by private mail. Feel free to contact me privately.

P A Goldsbury
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States

TD--

I have run into this many times. It is not uncommon at all. I am experiencing a slight version of this myself right now....as I have many times in the past. Sometimes when I am feeling this way I will take a couple of days off from Aikido, because usually when I feel this way it means I NEED to take a couple of days off. Training is hard work (if it was easy everyone would do it!), and sometimes we need a break. But, then after the break you just have to go. Just get on the mat. I've had plenty of days where I just didn't think I could do it, but I stepped on the mat and worked through it, and by the end of the class I felt great. Aikido can be a hard path, both mentally and physically.....but if you can find the strength to push through it, the payoff is great.

So I guess my advise is:

Take time off it you need it. After that, just get on the mat. Push through it.

Good luck.

Faeth
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Ikashi Dojo, Port au Prince
Haiti

What you ar experiencing is extremely common in martial arts training. And it's only a phase. Talk about it to you Sensei. You can also try to do less A´kido for a while, and try another completely different activity. Sometimes, you need to get away from something (or someone) you love so you will miss them, and you will come back to them with more enthusiasm.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Grr! Re: lost the feeling

Hi,

I'm slowly recovering from knee surgery. I would devour the souls of a thousand virgin moose, if I thought it would get me back on the mat sooner. I mean it. I would...nevermind.

Just be grateful that you have the option of going to train or not.

AND then decide to exercise that option and go train.

Hell, Train harder! why not?

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu Terence. What you are describing is a common occurrence in life. To actually make things part of ourselves, we have to do them when we don't want to. To merely want to do something is not enough.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Marxama
Dojo: Sandviken Aikido
Sweden

I moved to a different town about two months ago. It's not far, but instead of hitching a ride with a fellow dojo mate, I now have to take the bus, which is pretty expensive, so I have to work part-time at a factory to afford the bus fare, which leaves me too tired to practice... and so on. But it's only temporary, and I'm getting used to it, so I'll bounce back soon!

Marcus Magnusson
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
TD
Oh yeah, several cycles in fact in the 10 yrs I have been training.

I suspect most everyone goes through this type of slump at least once during their lifetime of training.

What part of your training do you want to keep in your life (you mentionned that)? I suspect the key to re-sparking your interest lies in what aspect of your training most interests you.

Sometimes a break is a good thing, but give yourself a threshold in time to make a clear decision (say, 3 weeks from now); not going by default is not a choice, it's jusy kind of....nothing.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Hey all

TD
Been there, done that. We live impermenace What we like today may be what we don't like tomorrow. The only constant is change itself. Move forward, do something else, if you are fated to aikido, somehow you will find the path back.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
justinm
United Kingdom

Yup. I walked off the mat 2 years ago and have not been back since. That is after more than 15 yrs training.

Later this month I am going to a seminar to see if this is the right path for me again. I don't know what will happen, but I am looking forward to finding out.

And this is the first time I have logged onto aikiweb for quite some time.

Nice to be back

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #11
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Often lost the "feeling", never lost the "vision" or direction.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
statisticool
United_States

You've lost the ki!!!

It might be under the couch cushins.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 10-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
Charles

I'm thinking that it's one of three things:

1. You are over training;
2. You are just in a temporary slump;
3. It is time for you to give up on AIkido and get on with your life.

How is the rest of your life going? Are you getting enough quality sleep? What's your resting heart rate when you awake? Do whatever it takes to get yourself feeling good. Take everything easy for a few days and maybe go to the day spa and treat yourself to a massage. If you wake up rested and feeling good then go take a class just to see how it goes.

The ancient mystics write about something called dryness. The wonderful feelings are absent at times, sometimes for many years. Bust those are the times of the greatest spiritual growth. You're going to have to figure out for yourself if you need to be soldiering through.

I really don't think that anybody sits on the porch at the end of life thinking, "I should have spent more time in the dojo." Perhaps you need to be spending your previous dojo time holding some child's hand or feeding the poor or doing humble tasks for monks.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
DonMagee
United_States

When ever I get bored or down on myself or my training I have a simple solution that has worked for me. I go to another club with another style and in a very friendly manner ask to train and spar with them. Usually I get new ideas to get excited about. I also travel to competitions and help coach others during their matches as well as compete myself. That always gives me a buzz for a few months while we work out all the new ideas we learned.

Only once was I so down I had lost the desire completely. That was when I had a life changing experience moving from the unreal expectations I put on martial arts and the reality that was real life and what I actually wanted out of martial arts. Now that I have come to terms with who I am, and what I want out of life. I'm much happier.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
John Bernhard
Dojo: Aikido of East Alabama
United_States

Happened to me too....a couple of times. Sometimes you have to leave so you can come back with a different view. I had to do that. Trained for 3 years off for 1 , back for 1, off for 3, back now till??? I hope there isn't an off again. I just had to grow up some with each time I left. As another poster mentioned, lost the will but not the vision.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Yeah, sounds like me. And Ive only been at it for a few months now.
Part of me wants to finish what I started, but the other part doesnt often feel like going for various reasons stated throughout this board.

The winter might decide it for me.
Im a southern boy, and these cold Hungarian winters are too much for me. Im like a bear who goes into hibernation...so at the end of the month, I may just stop. (no heat in the dojo by the way...)

What do you like about Aikido specifically?

Peace

dAlen
Old 10-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #17
Mark Uttech

"Not wanting to go to the dojo, not wanting to do it" is a very common resistance with almost anything. It is like a pivot point, or a fork in the road. If we had those sorts of doubts about our very natural breathing, we wouldn't live very long...

In gassho,

Mark

Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #18
James Stedman
United_States

Fear not, you are in good company.It is my personal experience that everyone training in the arts goes through brief phases of indecision, lack of confidence or ambition to continue training.I have had many such feelings over the last 38 years of study.Sometimes we are tempted to postpone or ignore training to get involved with friends or familiy engaged in other activities.it is natural and can be viewed as constructive.I usually feel euphoria whenever training after such a lapse of effort, even if it is for a couple of days or a week.It is always good to take a step back occassionally from any worthwhile endeavor to rest and rethink your commitment.
Get over it and move forward.You may well discover a benefit awaits you.
Best of luck to you!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #19
Mark Uttech

I have never gone to a class or seminar and wished I hadn't. I have always skipped a class or seminar and wish I hadn't.

In gassho,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Uttech : 10-13-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: misspelllings

Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 AM   #20
Derek

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan (AWA)
United_States

At some point being on the mat becomes part of your routine, your life, your daily habits. Like brushing your teeth or checking you email. You start off and doing these things is an adjustment, a task to be done, but with time and consistency they become integral to who you are. Life conspires to interfere and throws up road blocks in your path. IMHO, when you don't feel like going to the dojo, when you're too tired, stressed or bored, those are the exact times you need to be at the dojo.

Until you incooperate the practice into your daily life, it will be a seperate thing, not part of you.

Take some time off the mat. Read a good aikido book or spend some time in solo practice, but set a point to go back to the dojo and see if the thrill is back. Don't let your parting from aikido be due to procrastination or inactivity. If you want to be there, be there. If you don't, decide you don't and explain to you sensei.

Derek Duval
Yondan
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
Pierre Kewcharoen

Dojo: Aikido at NJIT
United_States

I have night classes this year and is preventing me from coming to train. I miss training alot though.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com