Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Jena 6

Quote:
When the local black pastors are villified by people like Sharpton and radio rabble rousers, that should be noticed, but the national media have done us a big disservice by playing only the politically acceptable side.
That's not the only problem...it is compounded by the fact that the main stream press came so late to the table, and then dug so shallowly into the truth. Almost all of the information I have on this issue has come from "liberal" sources. Now, I personally like the coverage that NPR (as an example) gives to issues in general, and for the most part, this one in particular. I also think that in spite of the problems of the Jena 6 and their troubled past, there is still an issue of seperate justice, and harsher justice for AAs in that community (and in my experience, many others). But that does not absolve individuals from paying their due penalty when they break the law. I have no issue with the primary person in question being held accountable for his actions, and I would not advocate for him being released without some serious safeguards.

At the same time, I think that someone can take a gun out in public, and assault others, and not be charged, while they are charged for defending themselves, is criminal. And the DA is not helping the issues. Hearsay or not. His comments at the school not being part of a court proceeding, does not mean they didn't happen. And that they did happen is a pretty serious indictment of the man and his office.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I think this is a good example of what happens when the main stream media starts out ingoring a story. We are left to bloggers and more biased forms of reporting to fill in the blanks.
Sorry Ron, but your suggestion that the main stream media is less bias than a blogger or anybody else, is to me, a bit comical.
Well, perhaps I wasn't clear. The biases are often quite different. Main stream media tends toward superficial analysis, which can be biased in terms of the bent the particular outlet favors. But the standards are clearer, and I think, the biases in question are more easily overcome.

Smaller outlets and bloggers don't have such easy access to fact checkers, editorial staff, etc. So you tend to have a very clear bias, worn on the sleeve, so to speak. Most of the information on this case was originally from far left, AA, or far right sources. Each pushing the information that supported their cause. Finding information that is more down the middle, but still in depth was quite difficult for me.
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #28
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
That's not the only problem...it is compounded by the fact that the main stream press came so late to the table, and then dug so shallowly into the truth.
They're doing that with everything nowadays. The press coverage really helped Bush's push to war by slanting things to his statements instead of investigating his statements and questioning things. Like the recent headlines of "Bush Announces Troop Withdrawals" when he was basically doing exactly the opposite. Our press is failing us.

Quote:
Almost all of the information I have on this issue has come from "liberal" sources. Now, I personally like the coverage that NPR (as an example) gives to issues in general, and for the most part, this one in particular.
NPR is all I listen to (aside from CDs and Japanese nursery songs) but sometimes their coverage is pretty slanted and gets irritating. In this case, I find a lot of it shallow and rather flaky. Not that there aren't lots of problems there, but NPR is tending to be a bit one-sided, calling the six-on-one beating a "schoolyard fight."

Quote:
I also think that in spite of the problems of the Jena 6 and their troubled past, there is still an issue of seperate justice, and harsher justice for AAs in that community (and in my experience, many others).
No question there at all. And some laws are cleverly set up that way, such as the crack/powder cocaine laws that deal very harshly with crack while dealing rather lightly (in comparison) with powdered cocaine, from which crack is made. Seems like they would realize that a little powder will make a lot of crack and "crack down" on the powder. But powder is more likely to be held by whites while crack is more likely to be held by blacks....so....prisons are filled with black kids who had crack and country clubs are filled with white kids sharing powder behind the scenes.

Quote:
But that does not absolve individuals from paying their due penalty when they break the law. I have no issue with the primary person in question being held accountable for his actions, and I would not advocate for him being released without some serious safeguards.
Absolutely agreed. But the reason he's gone so far down a violent road is mostly because he is athletically talented and has been spared any accountability for his previous violence. When our schools return to teaching and stop being excuses for football and basketball teams, maybe our country will rise in international academic ratings again and we'll stop pushing violent kids into stardom....when pigs fly.

Quote:
At the same time, I think that someone can take a gun out in public, and assault others, and not be charged, while they are charged for defending themselves, is criminal.
The details on that seem a bit fuzzy. I've read that the kid with the gun was "defending himself" when he was rushed by two or three of the "six". The fact that he wasn't beaten or killed after they took the gun from him would seem to indicate that he over-reacted. But it wasn't just a matter that he pulled a gun on them. He was responding to their actions. Still, if someone pulled a gun on me, I would take it from them if I could and I would not only take it apart, I would throw the pieces in a wide area so that the gun could probably never be re-assembled. So I think it's ridiculous to charge them with "theft of a firearm." That's just stupid, to me.

Quote:
And the DA is not helping the issues. Hearsay or not. His comments at the school not being part of a court proceeding, does not mean they didn't happen. And that they did happen is a pretty serious indictment of the man and his office.
If he's anything like the Alabama State Attorney General, this would no surprise me. Here we had a case where two guys robbed a pawn shop. The younger shot the clerks. The older guy, who didn't shoot anyone, was condemned to death while the younger, who shot and killed two people, got off because of his age. When the local DA supported lifting the death penalty for the guy who didn't shoot anyone, Troy King, the Alabama AG, removed the local DA from the case and, I think, personally took over in an attempt to prevent the non-shooter from being freed from the death penalty. In his way of thinking, "someone" has to die, whether he killed anyone or not. It's as cold-blooded as anything out on the street.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #29
MM
United_States

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote: View Post
Any kid who has to worry about being hurt when they go to school is a victim, regardless of their race or political leanings. Any kid who has to deal with stupid racists instead of spending their time getting an education is being victimized.
The principal's decision to expel the noose hangers should have stuck; The superintendent had no business cutting it down to suspension.
Hello James,
According to other sources, that isn't what happened. Of course, it's a matter of believing in someone who was there as opposed to a national media service. Sometimes, you'll have to dig the facts out for yourself. If what happened below is really what happened, there's going to be a paper trail. Dig it up and you'll know the truth.

Here's the quote again:

The actions of the three white students who hung the nooses demonstrate prejudice and bigotry. However, they were not just given "two days suspension" as reported by national news agencies. After first being expelled, then upon appeal, being allowed to re-enter the school system, they were sent to an alternative school, off-campus, for an extended period of time. They underwent investigations by Federal and Sate authorities. They were given psychological evaluations. Even when they were eventually allowed back on campus they were not allowed to be a part of the general population for weeks.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #30
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Found another article and all I can say is wow. Talk about a completely different view than what was given in the media. Again, well worth reading the whole article.
I'm sorry, but these revelations don't exactly make me change my mind...

Quote:
Eddie Thompson wrote:
The speech given by Reed Walters that included the now infamous statement "I can end your life with the stroke of a pen" was not given to a group of black students. It was given during a speech to the entire student body in an assembly called by the school's principal to calm a community that was pulling their children out of school because there were two fights one day with racial overtones.
It's not a DA's job to calm racial tensions in a school: that's the Asst. Principal's job. And believe me, I have encountered some fierce AP's in my school-days, who could have handled this problem before breakfast, without resorting to calling in the police.

Besides, the defence of the DA's speech sounds a bit specious, to me. Sure, I can take it as given that the whole student body was called together (never really doubted this...if the DA HAD called in "only" the black student body: we'd have heard about it by now) when he said his infamous "stroke of a pen" line, but the statement was clearly a threat. And, I don't know about you: but threats do not make me feel easy, or calm. Since no one here attended the DA's speech, we will never know to whom he addressed the comment (neither, I might add, did Budd Fowler, when he was interviewed). Obviously, many of the black students felt threatened by the remark. It's unclear how the white students felt, or if they even felt that the remark was addressed to them.

Quote:
The actions of the three white students who hung the nooses demonstrate prejudice and bigotry. However, they were not just given "two days suspension" as reported by national news agencies. After first being expelled, then upon appeal, being allowed to re-enter the school system, they were sent to an alternative school, off-campus, for an extended period of time. They underwent investigations by Federal and Sate authorities. They were given psychological evaluations. Even when they were eventually allowed back on campus they were not allowed to be a part of the general population for weeks
But, so were the rest of the Jena 6. They all had to go to an alternative school and be separated from the student body, as well. Again, it's not about who suffered the most: but was there an abuse of power demonstrated here? Did all sides receive equal justice?

Clearly, the answer is no. But, OTOH, I never said the Jena 6 were innocent: quite the opposite. I said that they deserve some sort of punishment. But, many victims of racist injustice are rarely completely innocent of wrongdoing, themselves. The world is not that black and white (pun again...sorry )

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote: View Post
Any kid who has to worry about being hurt when they go to school is a victim, regardless of their race or political leanings. Any kid who has to deal with stupid racists instead of spending their time getting an education is being victimized.
The principal's decision to expel the noose hangers should have stuck; The superintendent had no business cutting it down to suspension.
All true. I think I was getting hung up on this idea that white students = Conservative victims; while black students = Liberal victims.

Quote:
I also think that in spite of the problems of the Jena 6 and their troubled past, there is still an issue of seperate justice, and harsher justice for AAs in that community (and in my experience, many others). But that does not absolve individuals from paying their due penalty when they break the law.
Correct.

Quote:
I have no issue with the primary person in question being held accountable for his actions, and I would not advocate for him being released without some serious safeguards.

At the same time, I think that someone can take a gun out in public, and assault others, and not be charged, while they are charged for defending themselves, is criminal.
Thank you. Where's the outrage over the other events that occurred in the "quiet 3 months?" It's barely covered in the MSM.

Quote:
And the DA is not helping the issues. Hearsay or not. His comments at the school not being part of a court proceeding, does not mean they didn't happen. And that they did happen is a pretty serious indictment of the man and his office.

Best,
Ron
Yep. Clear case of "conflict of interest." He had no right coming into that school: and he had no right acting as the schoolboard atty while investigating the case. He should have recused himself.

What ALSO gets me is how this case seems to resonate with the virulent white racist groups (the KKK, etc). They seem intent upon labelling the protestors as thugs and malcontents.

It's funny, but sometimes an event will lay bare the wider underpinnings of racism within the country, and spark greater action (with a little injudicious help of the media)

The Rodney King riots are a good example. Was Rodney King an innocent lamb who was misidentified by the police and stomped into unconsciousness? No, of course not: he was trying to avoid arrest, he was speeding, and the cops got more than a little carried away in their attempts to restrain him. A bystander happened to videotape the whole thing, it got to the media, and the resulting riots became history. But what really sparked the riots was not the aggressive attempt to arrest King or even the resulting video: the resulting riots were a direct response to the acquittal verdict to the officers, which was widely seen as unjust.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-24-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #31
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Suffice it to say when Al Sharpton is involved, ninety percent of the content will be racially inflamatory fabrication for Sharpton's benefit. Likewise many of the supporters, who tell the lies and omit the truth, are trying to polish their own image (or self-image)....
As I was saying....

This thread, in itself, seems designed for something other than mere discussion.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #32
Neil Mick
Post National Lawyers Guild Urges Release of Jena Six

This just in:

National Lawyers Guild

Quote:
NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD CALLS FOR RELEASE OF MYCHAL BELL, FOR ALL CHARGES AGAINST THE JENA 6 TO BE DROPPED, AND FOR FEDERAL INVESTIGATION INTO JENA 6 ARRESTS AND PROSECUTIONS

The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) calls for the immediate release of Mychal Bell, one of the six high school students who have come to be known as the "Jena 6." The Guild also calls for all charges against the Jena 6 to be dropped, and for the investigation and disbarment of Judge J.P. Mauffray and District Attorney Reed Walters.

Judge J.P. Mauffray and DA Reed Walters have engaged in a string of egregious actions, the most recent of which was the denial of bail for Bell on Friday. The NLG urges that: 1) The United States Department of Justice convene an immediate inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the arrests and prosecutions of the Jena 6; 2) Judge Mauffray be recused from presiding over Bell's juvenile court hearings or other proceedings; 3) The Louisiana Office of Disciplinary Counsel investigate Reed Walters for unethical and possibly illegal conduct; 4) The Louisiana Judiciary Commission investigate Judge Mauffray for unethical conduct; and 5) The Jena school district superintendent be removed from office.

"Contrary to what Reed Walters and J.P. Mauffray may think, Jena is subject to the same Constitution that the rest of the United States is," remarked Kerry McLean, member of the executive board of the NLG.

"There have been numerous, brazen violations of the constitutional rights of the Jena 6." McLean continued, "In addition to the constitutional violations, Walters and Mauffray have breached the ethical requirements of their offices. They should be made to answer for all of this."

"The double standard of justice in Jena, one for black students and another for whites, is emblematic of the racism that still permeates many towns throughout the South and the country as a whole. There must be an immediate and full investigation of judicial and prosecutorial malfeasance in Jena, Louisiana," said Marjorie Cohn, President of the NLG.

There is an unequal justice system in Jena, where blacks are routinely the victims of discriminatory and oppressive treatment by officials.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #33
David Orange
United_States
Re: National Lawyers Guild Urges Release of Jena Six

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote: View Post
Sounds like they're an organization of all the lawyers in the nation, doesn't it?

But they're not, are they?

Among their biases, are they also supporters of Hamas and Hezbollah?

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #34
Neil Mick
Dead but, it's not about "racism"

Uh huh. Sure it isn't.

But, when asked about his opinions on the historic march, which brought together 10's of thousand's to demand justice for the Jena 6: this is what the DA had to say...

Quote:
Reed Walters wrote:
I firmly believe and am confident of the fact that had it not been for the direct intervention of the lord Jesus Christ last Thursday, a disaster would have happened. You can quote me on that.
Give 'em enough rope...(ouch! pun! )

Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #35
David Orange
United_States
Re: but, it's not about "racism"

Quote:
It's so refreshing when a Hamas and Hezbollah supporter lectures the world about racism.

What a laugh.

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #36
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Reed Walters isn't a Hamas supporter...

Oh, wait {blush}

You meant Neil!

B,
R (y'all slay me)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #37
Neil Mick
Disgust personal hate-attacks

Quote:
Reed Walters isn't a Hamas supporter...

Oh, wait {blush}

You meant Neil!

B,
R (y'all slay me)
Not me. I don't find it funny, at all. I find this sort of personal attack beyond the scope of discussion. It's why I have David on ignore.

Debate is finished, when someone stoops to calling others "racist." I just wish people would respect Jun's guidelines:

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Stop stooping to baiting each other with snide little personal comments. Discuss the issues, not the persons and personalities involved in the discussions. If you can't conduct respectful, mature discussions here on AikiWeb, please do me a favor and take your discussions elsewhere.
But anyways...back to the thread topic.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #38
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Hey Neil,

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh. Otherwise, they think they win.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #39
Neil Mick
Quote:
Hey Neil,

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh. Otherwise, they think they win.

Best,
Ron
True enough.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #40
MM
United_States

Huh? You mean I don't win all the time?
(And sometimes you have to laugh at yourself)

Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #41
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
Uh huh. Sure it isn't.

But, when asked about his opinions on the historic march, which brought together 10's of thousand's to demand justice for the Jena 6: this is what the DA had to say...

Justice for the Jena 6?
Aren't they guilty of assault?

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend

Old 10-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #42
Neil Mick

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Justice for the Jena 6?
Aren't they guilty of assault?
Um, no, Grant...there's a lot more to this case (which surprises me that you don't know this).

Jena 6

Quote:
The Jena Six refers to a group of six black teenagers who have been charged with the beating of a white teenager at Jena High School in Jena, Louisiana, United States, on December 4, 2006. The six black students were initially charged with attempted second degree murder and conspiracy to commit second degree murder.

The attack on Barker

On December 4, 2006, 17-year-old Justin Barker, a white Jena High School student, was assaulted at school. He was struck in the head by a black student, knocking him unconscious. A group of black students then repeatedly kicked him.

Some individuals have stated that Barker had mocked Robert Bailey, Jr., who had allegedly been beaten up by a white man the previous Friday. Barker denies that.

Superintendent Breithaupt stated that the attack was no ordinary schoolyard fight. "It was a premeditated ambush and attack by six students against one," Breithaupt said. "The victim attacked was beaten and kicked into a state of bloody unconsciousness."

According to relatives of the accused, the six defendants have all been expelled from school.

The police arrested the six students, eventually dubbed the "Jena Six", accused of the attack. Five of them (Robert Bailey, Jr., then 17; Mychal Bell, then 16; Carwin Jones, then 18; Bryant Purvis, then 17; and Theo Shaw, then 17) were charged with attempted second-degree murder. The sixth student, Jesse Ray Beard, was charged as a juvenile because he was 14 at the time.

Mychal Bell, aged sixteen at the time of the incident, was charged as an adult. The district attorney has stated that he did so due to Bell's criminal record and because he believed Bell initiated the attack.

Mychal Bell proceedings

On June 26, 2007, the first day of trial for defendant Mychal Bell, Walters reduced the charges for Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery. A charge of aggravated battery requires the use of a "deadly weapon". Walters therefore argued that the tennis shoes that Bell was wearing and used to kick Barker with were deadly weapons, an argument with which the jury ultimately agreed.
That tears it...all Nike, Payless and Shoetowns in Mississippi ought to have to apply for licenses to sell deadly weapons!!

But it's funny, how 3 nooses hung from a "white tree" were just considered a "harmless prank," while a noose hung on a college professor's door gets treated (rightly so) as a hate-crime.

Columbia Professor: Noose Message 'Very Personal'

Quote:
Madonna Constantine, the Columbia University professor who found a noose on her office door Tuesday morning, said she felt not only angry but embarrassed when she saw the noose.

"I know I don't really have a reason to be embarrassed about it because this was the work of someone who, you know, is not a secure person at some level, but it felt as though it was directed toward me," Constantine said in an exclusive interview today on "Good Morning America."
It seems that the noose is coming back in vogue for haters as the perfect token du jour to present (anonymously, because hatred and cowardice often go hand-in-hand) to the object of their hate.

Fearmongering base, simmered with just a touch of the dregs of history. Add cowardice, and stir.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #43
Guilty Spark

United_States

I thought the jena 6 had to do with those american students that were executed. One girl escaping. Not sure why i thought it was that, and this of course is before reading the article.

Open to argument, I personally feel all violent crimes are hate crimes. Yes I realise the taking into consideration of race, say white kids assaulting white kids vs a hispanic or middle eastern kid, but I think we should hold the same standard across the board.
Assault is assault regardless if sone is doing it due to drugs, alcohol, race or passion.

i wouldn't put too much thought into the deadly weapon tennis shoe approach. To me thats just the bullshit lawyers do. Obviously it's RTFO.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend

Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #44
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States

I graduated from Jena High School...there is no "white tree". That tree was a bush when I went there, but the atmosphere was the same. Almost all the white students congregated on one side...all the African American students on the other. The administration did not assign trees!

If that tree was indeed the white tree, then the walkway opposite the tree on the other side of the "square" (courtyard bordered by 4 academic buildings) can be called the "black hall" because that's where mostly African American students congregated...by choice.

I cannot repair the damage inflicted by the media, Jesse and Al on my town...but I will say this. Al and Jesse have an agenda that benefits them. The media are selling stories. I believe Jena has a few idiots but is not the racist community it has been made out to be.

Mychal Bell has been in trouble since he began High School and shows no sign of stopping. Yes, he was held without bail as long as the LAW would allow...exactly 14 days to appeal the 3rd district court...and I'm glad they did. They kept a 5 time violent repeat offendor off the streets as long as possible...the same streets my wife and children travel every day. Whether he is 16 yrs old or 40, black or white, makes no difference to me. You won't hear any of this on national or international news.

By the way, he is back in jail. Not only did he violate his probation (for simple battery...3 times) in Lasalle parish when he decided to attack Justin Barker, he violated probation he was serving in the next parish over (Rapides) for previous drug violations. They arrested him last week. They haven't reported that because they don't want you to know he is a thug and everyone has been supporting him without knowing that he is a real criminal with real violent crimes in his past. Most of his juvenile history has been kept out of the media reprots because he is a juvenile. That does not make him less dangerous.

I don't think anyone watching this story from afar has any real idea what has been taking place here or how dangerous this kid is. The only information you have is what the major media...and special interest groups report. This is not a black and white issue. It is a criminal issue. It is only a racial issue on TV and in the paper. For example, during the CNN coverage of the march they repeatedly showed a rebel flag being flown on someone's residence and reported that it was in Jena. I saw the broadcast and recognized the house. It was a home recently built in Grant parish...over 30 miles from Jena. I only recognized it because I pass it on the main highway every 2 weeks when I commute to and from work.

Again, I live in Jena. I watched the march from my front yard. I have seen much of this first hand...I watched as the Red Cross, an emergency relief organization, handed out bottled water to thousands of marchers who showed up to march for the release of a criminal, in 95 degree weather, wearing black, with no water or food at all...thousands of them. I listened on the police scanner as hundreds of people were in need of first aid due to heat exhaustion. The red cross again stepped in. This was not some natural disaster. These people came here of their own free will. You would think they would come better prpared. Finally, when it was all over, I got in my car and went to look around town. There were people all over town, business owners and residents, doing what? Picking up trash. Tons of it. It was everywhere. I was sickened...still am. Needless to say...no more donations to the red cross.

IMO, Mychal Bell was rightly tried as an adult. It has been done all over the US for juveniles who are repeat offendors. He deserves some jail time. I have way too many opinions about this case to put into one post so I'll stop now...

I will check for replies and maybe I can help shed some reality on some of the topics surrounding this case...one at a time...I just had to say something about the infamous "white tree"...

Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 AM   #45
Shane Mokry
United_States

I forgot to mention...If you're concerned about the fate of the "white tree", buy a piece off ebay and support capitalism...

Shane

Old 10-18-2007, 03:11 AM   #46
Neil Mick

Quote:
Shane Mokry wrote: View Post
I graduated from Jena High School...there is no "white tree". That tree was a bush when I went there, but the atmosphere was the same. Almost all the white students congregated on one side...all the African American students on the other. The administration did not assign trees!
Hi Shane,

I'm not sure exactly what you want out of this conversation.

Quote:
If that tree was indeed the white tree, then the walkway opposite the tree on the other side of the "square" (courtyard bordered by 4 academic buildings) can be called the "black hall" because that's where mostly African American students congregated...by choice.
Umm...OK, no white tree. But, I'm guessing that the tree signified something to 90% of the student body, that it did not, to the other 10%. It certainly was the focal catalyst for the nooses, wasn't it?

Quote:
I cannot repair the damage inflicted by the media,
No one can. The media distorts everything.

Quote:
Jesse and Al on my town
"Jesse, and Al??" What did they do...knock over a liquor store? What "damage?"

Quote:
...but I will say this. Al and Jesse have an agenda that benefits them.
Exactly. They go after media stories to suit their agenda. Not far divorced behavior than, say, the way Congress reacted, in regards to Terry Shiavo.

Better, in fact. No one elected Jesse, or Al.

Quote:
The media are selling stories. I believe Jena has a few idiots but is not the racist community it has been made out to be.
Jena, I imagine, is no more racist than anywhere else, in America. But it is beyond human nature to expect that any place is devoid of its racism.

The racism seen in Jena is indicative of the racism prevalent throughout the US. It's why the whole story of Jena has resonance.

Quote:
Mychal Bell has been in trouble since he began High School and shows no sign of stopping. Yes, he was held without bail as long as the LAW would allow...exactly 14 days to appeal the 3rd district court...and I'm glad they did. They kept a 5 time violent repeat offendor off the streets as long as possible...the same streets my wife and children travel every day. Whether he is 16 yrs old or 40, black or white, makes no difference to me. You won't hear any of this on national or international news.
But where did YOU get this information...?

From the media, right? Well, there you are. And yes...I DID hear it on the national news.

Quote:
By the way, he is back in jail. Not only did he violate his probation (for simple battery...3 times) in Lasalle parish when he decided to attack Justin Barker, he violated probation he was serving in the next parish over (Rapides) for previous drug violations. They arrested him last week. They haven't reported that because they don't want you to know he is a thug and everyone has been supporting him without knowing that he is a real criminal with real violent crimes in his past. Most of his juvenile history has been kept out of the media reprots because he is a juvenile. That does not make him less dangerous.
Nor, does it mean that his rights should have been violated.

Quote:
I don't think anyone watching this story from afar has any real idea what has been taking place here or how dangerous this kid is. The only information you have is what the major media...and special interest groups report.
Do you know this kid, personally? If not, then you're really just getting this from the same, misleading media, as the rest of us (or perhaps, "friend-of-a-friend?" Gossip is an even worse source, than the media...esp in a small town).

And if so: then how, exactly, are you helping "improve the damage," by warning ppl how dangerous, he is? How will that help, exactly?

Look, I think it's well established that he's no saint. But, Mychal Bell's model of citizenry isn't the question. What was the question (since answered) was did he get the due process, that everyone deserves?

Clearly, he didn't. Thus, the marches and the Congressional action.

Quote:
This is not a black and white issue. It is a criminal issue. It is only a racial issue on TV and in the paper.
Sorry, but agree to disagree. A big part of racism is denial that racism exists. Unless, of course: you're ready to start arguing that tennis shoes comprise deadly weapons; that the DA acted completely properly, and that racial tension was not existant in Jena, before the media made it center stage.

Sorry, but documented accounts differ with your assertion.

Quote:
For example, during the CNN coverage of the march they repeatedly showed a rebel flag being flown on someone's residence and reported that it was in Jena.
A little media spin, doth not mean that a problem did/does not exist.

Quote:
I saw the broadcast and recognized the house. It was a home recently built in Grant parish...over 30 miles from Jena. I only recognized it because I pass it on the main highway every 2 weeks when I commute to and from work.

Again, I live in Jena. I watched the march from my front yard. I have seen much of this first hand...I watched as the Red Cross, an emergency relief organization, handed out bottled water to thousands of marchers who showed up to march for the release of a criminal, in 95 degree weather, wearing black, with no water or food at all...thousands of them.
I'm sorry that I couldn't attend the march. Would have been there if I could (but, I awould have been a little more considerate of the neighborhood, certainly. I don't throw trash on the ground when I march).

Quote:
I listened on the police scanner as hundreds of people were in need of first aid due to heat exhaustion. The red cross again stepped in. This was not some natural disaster. These people came here of their own free will. You would think they would come better prpared. Finally, when it was all over, I got in my car and went to look around town. There were people all over town, business owners and residents, doing what? Picking up trash. Tons of it. It was everywhere.
Tsk. Sounds like a poorly organized parade. The organizers should be fined.

Quote:
I was sickened...still am. Needless to say...no more donations to the red cross.
Um...the Red Cross has nothing to do with organizing the march...

Quote:
IMO, Mychal Bell was rightly tried as an adult. It has been done all over the US for juveniles who are repeat offendors. He deserves some jail time.
Oh, yes...jail time is JUST what this country needs, to set us straight to be law abiding!

Newsflash, Shane: I live in California, the home of "3 strikes." Hooray, huh? Three serious offences, and it's off to the slammer for you! Only problem is that the prisons are overcrowded, nothing more than warehouses; and 3 strikes has choked the system with these cases.

Three Strikes Law

Quote:
Some unusual scenarios have arisen, particularly in California the state punishes shoplifting and similar crimes as felony petty theft if the person who committed the crime has a prior conviction for any form of theft, including robbery or burglary. As a result, some defendants have been given sentences of 25 years to life in prison for such crimes as shoplifting golf clubs (Gary Ewing, previous strikes for burglary and robbery with a knife), nine videotapes (Leandro Andrade, previous strikes for home burglary), or, along with a violent assault, a slice of pepperoni pizza from a group of children (Jerry Dewayne Williams, four previous non-violent felonies, sentence later reduced to six years). In one particularly notorious case, Kevin Weber was sentenced to 26 years to life for the crime of stealing four chocolate chip cookies (previous strikes of burglary and assault with a deadly weapon. However, prosecutors said the six-time parole violator broke into the restaurant to rob the safe after a busy Mother's Day holiday, but he triggered the alarm system before he could do it. When arrested, his pockets were full of cookies he had taken from the restaurant
Quote:
I will check for replies and maybe I can help shed some reality on some of the topics surrounding this case...one at a time...I just had to say something about the infamous "white tree"...
Um...thanks. But, last time I checked: there were specific circumstances under which a minor could be charged with 2nd degree murder. Willful intent to batter with a deadly tennis shoe is not one of them.

Frankly, if Mychal Bell is as dangerous as you describe: I'm sure that he'll get his due. But, it should be what he's due: not because you (or others) think that this is what he deserves. Luckily, the rule of law still runs the courts.

For now.

Still, if the big reality-shedding came from the white tree remark...thanks again, but that was already established, in an earlier post.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #47
Tom Fish
Dojo: McAllen
United_States

Hi Niel,
My understanding from Shane's post is that his community is not the racist hell-hole portrayed in the national news. I agree also that Jesse and Al have their personal agenda that mostly benefits themselves rather than their race, truth, or justice. It's easy to look through a prism and see only the light that you want. All you need to do is select the agenda you want, filter out anything that doesn't fit, shout out the "proof" gained from the evidence that fits, and presto!!! The truth as you want to know it.
I think we can agree that there is racism in this country. I don't like it anymore than you do. I have seen a big change in our culture though, that makes racism unacceptable. Bigotry, hatred, and discrimination are no longer accepted in our society. It is not normal or common to hate people because of their race today. What is too common, are people who try to use fear, hatred, and misrepresentation to further their own personal agenda. These people don't care who gets caught in the middle. Unfortunately, the people of Jenna, all of them, are painted as racists with one big stroke of the brush. Shane was just trying to show some one else's perspective. Let's don't let him off of the hook though. His location proves he is racist.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #48
Shane Mokry
United_States

Wow!

Thanks for the reply Neil. I got exactly what I expected to from this post.

Shane

Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #49
Shane Mokry
United_States

Tom,

I believe you understand my point. I agree that racism is alive and well in America. There are bigots here in Jena. Most of the people here are not.

I thought that anyone interested in this case might want to hear some things about Jena from someone who lives here. Everyone knows everyone else...we all shop at the same wal-mart. We all went to the same high school and now...all our kids go to school together. This is a very small community.

The abuse of power by the judge and DA is not necessarily racist. It could happen to anyone he has a personal grudge aginst. I've seen it. Black and white...maximum charges if they don't like you...reduced or dropped charges and probation for friends. Don't get caught doing something stupid during election year...Mychal Bell was not shown any sympathy; probably because the DA and Judge were tired of seeing him appear in court for violent crimes and figured the probation was not turning his behavior around. (My well informed opinion)

I have seen changes here since all this started and not for the better. AA and white people who were part of each others' lives on a daily basis have become distant. They are still working together and interacting but there is a lingering tension that's almost as if they don't know what to say to each other anymore. It's sad...Thanks Al. Thanks Jesse.

The nooses...I can remember when we hung nooses from another tree at our school to signify the "Hang 'em High" slogan we used as a battle cry for an upcoming football game with a rival school. No one seemed to mind then. Everyone knew what it meant and the school was unified in our effort to defeat our rivals. From what I understand in this case, from actually speaking with school faculty, these were the same circumstances surrounding these hanging nooses. They were even painted with the school colors. I do not believe the intent behind those nooses was racist. I may be wrong. I did not hang them.

You're right Tom. All we have to do is pick and agenda and filter the info. It's sad to see that behavior turn into what we see now. I just hope some good will come of this...it has to.

Shane

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #50
Shane Mokry
United_States

Neil,

After thinking on your post for a while I have decided to answer one of your questions/assumptions.

The answer is no.

Shane

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread