Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
mohsin
hi,
im 21 years old and about 5 feet 10 inches tall. i was wondering if someone could help me out. would a 91cm bokken be more suitable for me or a 101cm bokken be suitable for my hieght. i am slightly put off by the fact that the 101cm bokken is so long. if anyone could tell me the disadvantages of a 91cm bokken and the disadvantages and advantages of a 101cm bokken. i need it as self defence weopon but im afraid that the 101cm bokken will be too long when i need it and itll look odd. if anyone could help me choose. would be grateful. thankyou.
mohsin

p.s. im afraid the 91cm is too short and the 101cm is too long to handle

Last edited by akiy : 09-09-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Re: 91cm vs 101cm

If the cost is not prohibitive, could you consider getting both? You could always attempt to sell the one you do not care for later on.

If getting only one is possible, I would suggest....either; 10cm is not all that great a difference, in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Mohsin Malik wrote: View Post
would a 91cm bokken be more suitable for me or a 101cm bokken be suitable for my hieght.
91 cm bokuto are for children. Little children. If 5' tall Japanese 12-year-olds can handle 101 cm bokuto, I think an adult should be able to.

Quote:
i need it as self defence weopon

How on Earth do you need a piece of hardwood as a self-defense weapon? I don't know where you are, but back in the States, carrying one around, especially one that's supposed to be a "weapon", is a good way to attract the attention of law enforcement at the very least. And if you do feel the need to brain a home-invader, use a baseball bat or the like. I think the jury will find it much easier to believe that it was a weapon of opportunity instead of a premeditated act in that case.

Kentokuseisei
Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
How on Earth do you need a piece of hardwood as a self-defense weapon?
What Kent said. Twice.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote: View Post
What Kent said. Twice.
My cousin used to raise ostriges - the stick he carried was all about self defense.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

If you need it for self defense, it is still a wide range.
For inhouse use, probably both are too long. A shoto or escrimas might fit better - or even a long and heavy kitchen knife.

Outside it is really a question, how to carry it and how to explain it. A walking stick could be fine, especially if have problems with your knees due to former football/soccer trainiing, etc.

But wearing arms does not mean, you are safer. ou might be treated as a dangerous foe, i.e. first shot and then asked, why you wear that weapon. Fortunately I never needed weapons and I feel safe without them.

Best regards

Dirk
Old 09-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

I would recommend both on two reasons,
I can't say if the shorter ones are of good quality,
as in taking contact training - though I'm in the process of finding out.
So to do ken tai ken and the like, you are sure to find the right quality in the longer ones.

When drawing from the belt, the shorter one may be the better choice.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
Timothy WK
United_States

91cm is abnormally short. 101cm is a perfectly normal length, it's not short at all. Actually, 101cm (which is about 11.5' handle/ 28' blade) isn't really considered long, either. It's a pretty average length.

(For what's worth, I'm 5'11" and use a ~106cm bokken.)

--Timothy Kleinert

Aikido & Wujifa qigongs
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
philippe willaume

United Kingdom

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote: View Post
For inhouse use, probably both are too long. A shoto or escrimas might fit better - or even a long and heavy kitchen knife.

Outside it is really a question, how to carry it and how to explain it. A walking stick could be fine, especially if have problems with your knees due to former football/soccer trainiing, etc.

But wearing arms does not mean, you are safer. ou might be treated as a dangerous foe, i.e. first shot and then asked, why you wear that weapon. Fortunately I never needed weapons and I feel safe without them.

Best regards

Dirk
Hello, dirk
Tsk tsk., Lebkuchner is probably spinning in his grave, halben schwert, my good man, that is the solution to all you length problem.

Die erst hut jn dem halben schwert.
Item, halt din schwert mitt der rechten hand by der handhabe; vnd mittder lincken gryff mitten in die dingen. Vnd halt es neben diner rechten sytten über din haupt,. vnd laß den ort vndersich hangen, dem man gegen dem gesicht.
The first guard in the halved sword
Item hold your sword with the right hand by the handle and with the left grab in the middle of the blade. And hold it close to your right side over your head. And let the point hang under itself and against his face.

If that work with 90-110 cm balde with a 20-30 cm handle sword, that should work with a bokken.

Ps I am not sure that you are in such position as to comment on the length of the blade. After all in medieval germany, they were calling Messer (aka a knife) something as long as a long sword on the ground that it had only one sharp edge ( and a little bit on the second).

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

why not just get the long one and cut it down if its too long for you?

...and by the way, for self defense, i recommend a chainsaw instead of a bokken, at least you could say you were a freelance tree trimmer with the chainsaw (not to mention the intimidation factor...hahaha) . How do you explain a bokken?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote: View Post

How on Earth do you need a piece of hardwood as a self-defense weapon? I don't know where you are, but back in the States, carrying one around, especially one that's supposed to be a "weapon", is a good way to attract the attention of law enforcement at the very least. And if you do feel the need to brain a home-invader, use a baseball bat or the like. I think the jury will find it much easier to believe that it was a weapon of opportunity instead of a premeditated act in that case.
Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote: View Post
What Kent said. Twice.
Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote: View Post

Best regards

Dirk
Two words: expandable baton. It fits quite nicely in your coatpocket and is readily available for deployment when actually needed. Of course, do not consider this as "legal advice"...

Other than that, work on your aiki-jo kata and carry a sturdy walking stick/cane with you. That'll do you just fine.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
Matthew White
United_States

Quote:
Christian Boddum wrote: View Post
When drawing from the belt, the shorter one may be the better choice.
as in iaido? for 5'10" person, he'd probably do better with a 107cm-109cm bokuto...

but that's just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #13
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

Yes as in iaido, as if you can get your sword free from the Saya,
or when you do ai hanmi (kentori) Ikkyo omote for example,
if you can't draw your bokken fully - then it is too long.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
mohsin

hi,
thankyou everyone for the replies. they really helped and im going for the 101cm. as for self defence. u might be right on the basball bats but it wont work on more than one person. thankyou very much.
mohsin
Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Careful with the expandable baton - they are illegal to possess in most states unless you are a peace officer. Here in California it is a felony to possess a baton, while possession of a knife or firearm is a misdemeanor in most cases. Go figure.

I suppose you could paint your bokken white with a red tip and claim to be Zatoichi if stopped.....

Why is a baseball bat only good for one?

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
Will Prusner

United_States

You could always get 2 bats and work on learning some Nitten Ichi Ryu.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mohsin Malik wrote: View Post
... u might be right on the basball bats but it wont work on more than one person. thankyou very much.
mohsin
Bizarre.
Baseball bats are great weapons, especially against multiple evil assailants.
Maybe he just NEEDS a curvy japanesey thing to feel defended.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
DonMagee
United_States

My home defense weapon (with the right skill level) works on about a dozen attackers at a time. Then I have to make space to reload.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #19
Michael Hackett

Ah, Magee Ryu Shotgun Waza - the ultimate irimi technique! What's the proper ettiquette for greeting your training partner, Halt!, Freeze! or Pull! ????

Michael
Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

I keep telling my wife that my pipe I smoke is a home defense weapon but she still won't let me smoke it inside the house. However, she has seen me tap the pipe out on the hairy chest of an obnoxious lout whereupon he forgot all about our altercation as he tried to pull his pants and shirt off.

Rock
Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Michael Hackett

A friend sent me an e-mail today that touches on Ron and Rock's posts to a certain degree.

When asked if he was expecting trouble because he was wearing his pistol, the old Sheriff replied "No Ma'am, if I were expecting trouble I wouldda brought my rifle."

When asked by a journalist why he carried a Colt .45, the Texas Ranger explained that "Colt doesn't make a .46."

When you need a cop in seconds, they will get to you in just minutes.

I carry a gun because I'm not strong enough to carry a cop.

Beware of fighting with old men. He may be too tired and weak to fight and will just kill you.

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Be cautious around a man with only one gun - he probably is pretty handy with it.

Certain elements of truth here.

Michael
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Beware of fighting with old men. He may be too tired and weak to fight and will just kill you.
My personal favorite.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
peter martin-browning
Dojo: sei ro kan, nottingham
United Kingdom

Hello mohsin
Hello everyone

You can have no idea how horrified I was to read your posts.
Please don't misunderstand me, I do not intend to disrespect you, but I am enraged by the way you discuss going armed.
In the USA you lost 14.24 citizens per 100,000 in 1998 to guns. That's the deaths, not the maimings, or the bereavements, or the traumatised passer's by, or the children growing up believing it's normal to expect to know someone who's been bereaved because of guns.
In the UK we lost 0.41 citizens per 100,000. In the UK we do not have the right to carry firearms. There is no other explanation to explain the difference than the availability of guns (please don't tell me it's not guns but people who kill people). I don't know your population. I think it's 220 million, which would give you about 30,000 deaths in that year. The size of a small town.
The same arguments apply to other weapons.

Forgive me, mohsin for speaking as it were past you to the others on the forum, but I feel duty bound to ask them, -What do you think you are doing merely debating the merits of going armed only from the point of view of efficacy (some people excepted, of course). What do you think you are doing teaching your young people this way? I am incensed that this is how you induct your young people into the adult world.
If there are more weapons, there will be more deaths and maimings, and all that flows from them.

At your service

Peter Martin-Browning
Old 10-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #24
Will Prusner

United_States

It's not the amount of weapons on the street, it's the mentality of the people. Violent people will go to any lengths to create violent situations. It's not a matter of convenience or legal right.

I read an article about a call to ban pointy tipped kitchen knives in the UK. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let the king of England come in to my house and take my Bokken and steak knives away. Pretty soon you guys are going to have to practice martial arts (and eat dinner) in secret underground facilities, away from the King's prying eyes (sounds kinda cool actually).

here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Apologies for the way off topic post.

W.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
Michael Hackett

Peter,

I'm sorry that I offended your sensibilities with my irreverent post. We do have a gun culture here in the US, largely because our history has taught us that it is, or perhaps was, important to have an armed citizenry - a lesson that we learned from our English forefathers. Personally I'm not a gun nut; I own firearms and use them in sport hunting. I carried one for many, many years in the military and police worlds and frankly, I am usually unarmed because a firearm is troublesome to carry.

This is a very long and heated debate here in the US and I suppose around the world. Much of our love of firearms here is both cultural, historical and practical and I don't imagine that it will change anytime soon. From my recent reading, I understand that Australia has banned firearms for most purposes and that the street crime rate has risen exponentially since the ban.

I do know a few things from my personal experience though and they inform my decision to possess firearms:

Bad folks will acquire weapons, firearms or not, that require a firearm for self-defense. Some of your own criminal element are heavily armed, and as a result, some of your police agents working those elements are armed too.

It would be far superior to live in a society without weapons and conflict. I doubt that will ever happen in any society, any where. Some knucklehead will improve his odds by dropping a bar of soap in a sock at the least.

We do have way too many firearms related crimes and deaths here. I'm not sure of your statistics, but just a few crimes and deaths are too many. We have too many deaths at the hands of drunk drivers and too many due to medical malpractice as well.

Thank you for reminding me of my bad taste in joking about such a serious issue. And while I ask you to lighen up a little, understand too that there is more than a grain of truth in some of those lines that I had the bad taste to share.

Michael

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!