Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido dojo some day?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 26, 2007:

How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido dojo some day?
  • I don't do aikido
  • I'm already the chief instructor
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
Re: Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido doj

I voted negative (not important) on this one but if I really think about my long term plans I do intend to have my own dojo, or at least dedicate myself to running a dojo full time, as my retirement plan.

It was hard making career choices that would steer me in this direction, but a few years ago I decided on physical education and it seems to be keeping me on course.

I will retire with full benefits and my pension at 60. The perfect age to run a martial arts school .
Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido doj

Running a dojo as part of a retirement plan is more common than not. There's really no better way I can think of to pay back all of those guides who have gotten any of us as far as we have gone.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 08-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

None, dada, zip, dull and void.

I am too selfish and want to just keep training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Ikashi Dojo, Port au Prince
Haiti
Wink Re: Poll: How interested are you in being the chief instructor of your own aikido doj

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
None, dada, zip, dull and void.

I am too selfish and want to just keep training.
Ah, thank you, Lynn, thank you! I thought I was the only martial artist on the planet to think like this .
Let me also tell you that I really love your posts. Some teach in the dojo, others on the net. Both are priceless.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

I kindof cheated when I answered. I'm already the chief instructor I suppose (depends on how you want to define the term really) but I answered that it wasn't very important because quite simply I'm not really bothered, and only ended up doing that because I moved somewhere else away from my teacher.

Though I would say to Lynn and others who share his view that I've found that teaching is far and away the best way to learn, and practicing with beginners is the most rewarding practice I have generally speaking.

Best

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

A lot of taoist martial artists share that "selfish" view. Can't blame ya...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Jess McDonald
United_States

YO! I also really have no interest in running a dojo. Things can change I'm sure. You want to know what I really can't wait to teach...chemistry. I love chemistry. Freshman not so much but we all had to start somewhere. LOL
Old 09-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Quote:
Mike Haft wrote: View Post
Though I would say to Lynn and others who share his view that I've found that teaching is far and away the best way to learn, and practicing with beginners is the most rewarding practice I have generally speaking.
Total agreement. I love training and explaining with all ranks. It makes it clearer to me too.

But, the question was (1) chief instructor, and (2) own dojo. For those I have no interest.

Sharing the journey? Show me the mat. Let's bow in.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com