Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States
broke collarbone

yesterday, near the end of ukeing for a friend's 3rd kyu test, i landed on my shoulder and broke my clavicle (no separation).

i've been training since september and the rolls and breakfalls and ukemi in general have been progressing really well. Strong ukemi is a high priority with our senseis as is training well to avoid injury.

i was extra tired yesterday, not feeling 100% and almost asked Sensei to excuse me from ukeing for the remainder of the test (a bunch of us were taking turns), but had never had the opportunity to do that before and we were almost done. so, long and short is that it was a preventable accident, but oh well!

anyone else out there had this injury before? how was your recovery? any recc's for staying limber during the hiatus from training?

thanks in advance for your help.

Jenny
Old 05-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Re: broke collarbone

MIne wasn't a broken collarbone, it was a "simple" shoulder seperation. In my second class. Ever.
Time. Rest.Proper rehab. And more time.
I watched every single class that I had to Not train, and Sensei partnered with me and showed me how to do lots of techniques one-handed, none of which I can remember now, of course!.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Jenny Van West wrote: View Post
yesterday, near the end of ukeing for a friend's 3rd kyu test, i landed on my shoulder and broke my clavicle (no separation).

i've been training since september and the rolls and breakfalls and ukemi in general have been progressing really well. Strong ukemi is a high priority with our senseis as is training well to avoid injury.

i was extra tired yesterday, not feeling 100% and almost asked Sensei to excuse me from ukeing for the remainder of the test (a bunch of us were taking turns), but had never had the opportunity to do that before and we were almost done. so, long and short is that it was a preventable accident, but oh well!

anyone else out there had this injury before? how was your recovery? any recc's for staying limber during the hiatus from training?

Jenny
Been there, done that... I broke my collar bone and then had to take my San Dan test with my arm in a sling. Anyway, that injury us actually not as bad as some rotator cuff injuries which seem to hang around forever. 6 - 8 weeks till it heals and some time for conditioning until its back to full strength.

Once the initial bone repair has taken place, a good exercise is to take a Bo and hold it in your hand at one end and make slow circles with it, high, low, up, down, any angle you can think of. Do it really slowly, breath, and try to relax all of the muscles you can. It will strengthen all of the connective material and also increase the range of motion you have.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

What they said! Don't try to shorten the body's natural healing time of 6 to 8 wks, because on the cellular level you really can't. The exercises George describes are a variant of "pendulum exercises" which your doctor or PT can show you - they are very gentle exercises intended to prevent the rest of the shoulder structures from getting stiff and "frozen" during the healing and rehab process.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

a friend broke his in 3 places when an instructor did not let go of his arm throwing him ude hiji nage. He was visiting a dojo. It knocked out for 9 months.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Quote:
I broke my collar bone and then had to take my San Dan test with my arm in a sling.
Woaw...explain. Broke my collar bone 2 years ago during a dojo ski trip. (haha...) Huge amounts of pain just moving around with it, getting up/sitting down, let alone performing techniques. You're either the toughest guy in Aikido, or there's something here you're not telling us. I don't know anyone who would pass a San Dan test with a broken clavicle, let alone even be allowed to test. (What's the point? In a hurry?)

Anyway, most depressing 2 months of my life.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
George S. Ledyard

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
You're either the toughest guy in Aikido, or there's something here you're not telling us. I don't know anyone who would pass a San Dan test with a broken clavicle, let alone even be allowed to test. (What's the point? In a hurry?)
I wasn't the one who decided on this... I had moved to Seattle and it wasn't so easy to get back to DC. I finally made it for summer camp which was a week of training and Sensei told me at the beginning of the week that he wanted me to test at the end of the week. On Wed I got dropped on my shoulder. Yes, it was painful, but i don't think it was as bad as yours... Sensei kept wandering by as I watched class and he looked at me like I had done this to get out of testing. In the end he had me test anyway. Instead of paired sword I had to use a shoto and instead of the usual paired jo, I had to use a cane to defend against the jo. All my empty hand was done on one side as the other was immobilized. Sensei's not one to let you off the hook unless you're just about dead... As to the point... I guess Sensei wanted to see what i would come up with.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
jennyvanwest

United_States

Wow! That's quite a tale!

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Once the initial bone repair has taken place, a good exercise is to take a Bo and hold it in your hand at one end and make slow circles with it, high, low, up, down, any angle you can think of. Do it really slowly, breath, and try to relax all of the muscles you can. It will strengthen all of the connective material and also increase the range of motion you have.
Do you mean on the injured side? Also...when you say "Bo", I'm not sure which weapon you mean.

Also, since this is on one side, am I at risk of screwing up my back from compensating for it?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

Bo = Bo Staff, should be about 6' in length

as for potential back damage, i don't know, though i supposed it could be a possibility
Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
MM
United_States

Hmm ... I was in my early to mid 20's (years ago) and was with friends and family playing a variation of some kind of paintball war kind of game in the woods. Anyway, I tripped, fell, and rolled on the ground. There was a slight bump when I rolled but I didn't think anything of it, especially the rock I had rolled over. Silly me (that rock did some damage). About an hour later, I found my cousin and said that I thought something was wrong. I had a bump on my upper left shoulder area. My arm was fine, there was no pain -- just this little bump. I explained that the only thing that could have caused it was my fall and roll. He looks at it and asks if I want to go to the hospital. I said no. Half an hour later, I decide, yeah, I'd better get it checked out. The bump did feel funny.

So, I get X-rays and voila -- I completely broke my left side collarbone in the middle. Not only did it break, but the ends separated. The end of the left side break is actually under the end of the right side. Really cool xray. I should have kept it and had it framed.

They gave me a sort of neck/arm brace thingy to wear and sent me on my way. That brace thingy lasted all of a day.

The end result was that I suffered no pain, no bruising, no lingering after affects (so far), no loss of any functionality at all, etc. I still have the bump. I wasn't doing martial arts at the time, but we still did a lot of running and playing in the woods, roughhousing, wrestling, etc. What can I say, I get older, but I refuse to grow up. lol.

And yeah, I consider myself lucky.

Mark
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Janet Rosen

The "bump" Mark describes is pretty typical of a shoulder separation. Many folks who have a separation (of clavical from scapula) end up with a bump.

Janet Rosen
Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
aikidoc
United_States

A shoulder separation at the acromioclavicular joint (a-c joint) will cause a bump, as will a fracture when callus formation takes place and also because they generally doing realign them.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
MM
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
The "bump" Mark describes is pretty typical of a shoulder separation. Many folks who have a separation (of clavical from scapula) end up with a bump.
Weird. Never experienced a shoulder separation. I know someone that did and they said it was very painful. Does the bump go away?

But, just to clarify, my injury was my collarbone snapping in two, right near dead center of the bone.

Mark
Old 05-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
Jonathan Guzzo
United_States

Quote:
Does the bump go away?
I had a shoulder separation as a high school wrestler. Twenty-two years later, I still have a bump. And my shoulder sometimes makes a cement-mixer noise. A bump and grind!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Sometimes I get the feeling that my entire aikido career has just been a lurch from one injury to the next. Broken nose twice (first time looked like a Picasso painting, no kidding!), separated shoulder, broken phalanx...worst of the bunch was the shoulder. Out for nine months repairing that sucker, it darn near ended my aikido training for good.

Right now I'm off the mat because I tried to play Thor, God of Thunder with the weights, and ripped the crap out of my rhomboids and pecs. Sensei suggested that maybe aikido and weight lifting aren't a good combo. I kinda thought it was a nice yin/yang thing, but maybe not.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
Janet Rosen

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I thought I was; my point was that on shoulder separation one is often left w/ permanent bump.
To original poster: I know your problem was fracture, which is why I specifically addressed my comment re separation to a later poster.

Janet Rosen
Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #17
aikidoc
United_States

Avery, as one chiro to another, you need to take better care of yourself. As you get older, you'll find it pays to play nicer .
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
Broken nose twice (first time looked like a Picasso painting, no kidding!), separated shoulder, broken phalanx...worst of the bunch was the shoulder.
A broken phalanx is bad news. You pretty much have to break out your xiphos at that point and scrap as best as you can without a shield/spear defense.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
jennyvanwest

United_States

it's really helpful to know from all of you that injuries happen and that they heal! thank you for sharing all these tales.

Jenny
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
George S. Ledyard

Quote:
Wow! That's quite a tale!

Do you mean on the injured side? Also...when you say "Bo", I'm not sure which weapon you mean.

Also, since this is on one side, am I at risk of screwing up my back from compensating for it?
A Bo is a six foot staff (approx)

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #21
jennyvanwest

United_States

George, also curious about whether the exercise you mentioned is to be done on the injured side (I'm assuming so).

edited to add: just reread your post and it seems fairly obvious that yes, on the injured side...

Jenny
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #22
Murgen
United_States

Quote:

Jenny
I was still practicing on a fractured collarbone, and bad luck, I got dropped right on that shoulder, and it was already cracked and it popped good. I got the video and you can hear it.

Let it heal is my advice before rushing back. Evaluate it before you jump in too soon and re-injure it. Although they probably won't have you taking lots of ukemi when you first get back. Be careful and let it heal. Also do exercises to strengthen the muscles in the shoulder that will have atrophied during the time it's immobile.

I'm not sure exactly why, but it seemed to take my collar bone some time to start healing. Everytime I moved It seemed to be rubbing bone on bone. I felt it popping all the time. It's been a year and a few months, and it's still aches in the mornings if I sleep on that shoulder. I'm still careful with it, even though from what I've been told it should be stronger than before.

It's the most commonly broken bone and we have a guy in class who just broke his (in a car accident). I'll take a broken collar bone over rotator cuff, ligament, or nerve damage anyday.

Train safe

Anthony
Old 08-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #23
jennyvanwest

United_States

update at the 3+ month mark:
I'm basically healed!
I started easing back VERY cautiously into class at about a month. Once I got the green light from the doc I have been just paying very close attention to my body's signals and so far so good. thanks for all the great experience shared here. It really helped a lot, esp to show that I would get through this and I did.
Jenny

Please visit our sponsor:

Mugendo Budogu - Dogi cut to specifically to wear with hakama!