Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
AikidoDarron

Australia
Blush! Best Dojo To Train At?help Me!

I have been studying Aikido via any piece of info I can find, anywhere for months now but haven't began training the techniques at a dojo or under a sensei.The reason is,I'm stuck on which Dojo to attend!If you are reading this, your opinion would be appreciated.Of all the clubs in my city, I've narrowed it down to 3:

#1: Sensei was last graded by a Ueshiba(not sure which one),Is a representative of the International Budo Federation and is trained in Aiki JuJutsu.Classes are run 3 times a week 1 1/2 hrs each with added weapons Kendo/Jo training session availible once a week.Sensei tends to focus more on "Street" aspects and strays from Aikido making every session more "Aiki Ju Jutsu"

#2: Branch of Aikikai Australia.True Aikido all the way but lessons availible only twice a week for 1hr each

#3: This Dojo has a great reputation and trains Ju Jutsu and Aikido.Emphasis is also put on the Sword and Jo training as an extention to your Aikido lessons.Classes availible up to 4 times a week 1-2 hrs each.

I can't decide,there are good and bad aspects (except the last) in all.If anyone with experience could come foward and give me their opinion I would appreciate it!

Thanx heaps
Old 06-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Best Dojo To Train At?help Me!

from your profile
Quote:
I am a deticated student of Aikido & Aiki Ju Jutsu.Not in the physicla sense..I have been studying every piece of information I can on Aikido and it's history for months now and feel it has already made me a better human being!I really can't wait to attend class, I know the results will be astronomical.
if you really want to become a student of aikido (and you are not at the moment) stop talking/thinking about it and get off your butt and get to training! It doesn't matter which school you go to - hell go to all three and see which one you like. But get on the mat.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
AikidoDarron

Australia

Yeah,I've been to all three.My question was,What would you say (after reading about them) would be the best to train @?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

The one you feel "at home" in when you walk in the door.

The one where the teacher and you connect.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
Aristeia
New Zealand

if you've been to all three then just pick one you liked the feel of. It's p personal decision that no one here can help you with. The best advice you will get is to stop stalling and start training.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 06-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
AikidoDarron

Australia

Yeah you are both right!
The last one on my list.The first Dojo I walked into was amazing.Not only did it look great (9th level of a beautiful building with a flowing water feature at the bottom of the building) It felt terrific to be there.The guy I spoke with who gave me a private tour of the dojo was the Sensei and he was a gentle kind of a guy with this subtle strength about him.I also feel this was the only dojo I had visited who practised STRICT form in etiquette.I wasn't sure If this decision was biased because it was the first dojo I had visited, or if this place truly was for me.That was my question.Thanx for your help

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!