Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #51
Thomas Campbell
Re: For those who complemented Aikido with Tai Chi please share your experience

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
[snip]The power in Daito ryu IS the power in Aikido.
The power of Taiji IS the power in Aikido.
The power in Karate IS the power in Aikido.
[snip]
With all due respect, Dan . . . it's erroneous to conflate these arts like that. Even for rhetorical purposes.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #52
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Instead of taking a defensive posture, Jo, perhaps turn the question around and ask how to become effective in a shorter amount of time, or even better, how to teach people effectively so that they can be effective from day dot.

Or, as they say in most kung-fool movies, keep practicing for another 10 years and we'll see...
Because, to my ear, that isn't what she is talking about. That is what is important to you. The way I've come to learn aikido is to take your own advice and correct yourself.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 06-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #53
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I have no idea what he is talking about here....

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #54
Qatana

Darn, too late to edit! What I was attempting to add is that I am perfecly happy with the speed of my progress in both aikido and tai chi. It is Other People who have a problem with the speed of my development,or my personal motives in training and not anybody whose approval is the least bit important to me.

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #55
M. McPherson
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
With all due respect, Dan . . . it's erroneous to conflate these arts like that. Even for rhetorical purposes.
With all equally due respect, Mr. Campbell, the conflation is intentional, and is far from rhetorical in purpose. Unless, of course, you are suggesting that, say, Kimura Tatsuo, Chen Xiao Wang, and Ushiro Kenji are not utilizing the same model of internal structure and power transfer in their respective arts. Please note that I'm offering living, breathing examples; no dead, sacred cows offered to whip up frothing and emotional argument/counter argument as to whose kung fu was best. Although not so much with Kimura Sensei, these gentlemen are fairly open about demonstrating and sharing their skills, which are widely agreed to be amazing, and (by degree) similar in feel. Three different arts born and bred in three different cultural matrices, and yet what is commonly remarked upon is the similarity in execution and effect of technique. Probably best not to be dazzled by the different paint jobs - it's the same engine and transmission under the hood.

Sincerely,
Murray McPherson
Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #56
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

To sum up, I don't think anyone has a problem with Jo's goals or motivations.

However, the original point of this thread was

Quote:
Ahmed Altalib wrote: View Post
Is it a waste of time?

Is it the way to go in order to develop/better one's Ki?

How did you find it helpful for your Aikido practise?
In short answer

a) no, not necessarily, depends on the teacher
b) yes maybe, depends on the teacher

c) this question assumes that you grasped the basics of what is the basic building block of tai chi. if you didn't then the point is moot.

Simply making comments of "well I do Tai CHi...and its wonderful, i dont really know what I'm learning, but it makes me feel good" and passing them off as advice buys the ire of some of those on this board that are actually in the "know."

Put simply, if you don't know and aren't really addressing the points in the thread, maybe you should think twice before posting.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #57
Haowen Chan
United_States

My comment was not directed at Jo, apologies for any misinterpretation. My point is, if you have some spare time, and by some stroke of amazing good fortune have no shortage of excellent instructors, depending on your goals you can choose:

(a) if you goal is strongly spiritual, you can maybe take up zazen (I believe the meditation methodology has great benefits even for non buddhists).

(b) if you don't care about this "ki" rubbish except as a side effect of lots of practice and your goal is to know many techniques very well, just practice more aikido. Taiji is not a great choice for a complement art since it teaches you to do the same things in a (externally) different way. Good complements teach you to do different things to round out your skill set. Maybe judo or maybe some kind of grappling art (BJJ?), I dunno, ask the MMA experts.

(c) if you really want to know more about the principles behind the physical power demonstrated by the great masters, some taiji or yiquan or shinshintoitsu-do or some internal art may help round out your study of ki... assuming you have a good instructor.

It's quite simply an opinion, and has absolutely nothing to do with the specifics of any one single individual's practice.

Last edited by Haowen Chan : 06-18-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #58
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Murray McPherson wrote: View Post
With all equally due respect, Mr. Campbell, the conflation is intentional, and is far from rhetorical in purpose. Unless, of course, you are suggesting that, say, Kimura Tatsuo, Chen Xiao Wang, and Ushiro Kenji are not utilizing the same model of internal structure and power transfer in their respective arts. [snip] Probably best not to be dazzled by the different paint jobs - it's the same engine and transmission under the hood.

Sincerely,
Murray McPherson
Murray,

My post was directed to Dan Harden . . . but thanks for your opinion.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #59
M. McPherson
United_States

Quote:
Murray,

My post was directed to Dan Harden . . . but thanks for your opinion.
Di nada, Thomas. And thanks for your clarification, but my post was directed at your argument. You might want to consider private messages if you're not keen on people responding to what you post on a message board, regardless whom it's posted to. I happened to agree with Dan's point regarding the original poster's questions, disagreed with what you wrote, and replied in kind. That dynamic is par for the course on this and other message boards, and respectfully done, why shouldn't it be?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #60
raul rodrigo
Philippines

I think that Howard C laid out the decision tree pretty clearly. It all depends on what you are after. and if you're lucky enough to find someone who can actually teach it.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #61
Thomas Campbell

Don't tell me whether to post or PM, Murray, and I won't tell you to STFU. I'm interested in Dan's response, not yours. If he chooses to respond on the public forum, fine. If not, fine. I'm not interested in your argument or your experience on this issue, or I'd be responding to your earlier assertion.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #62
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Don't tell me whether to post or PM, Murray, and I won't tell you to STFU.
Ah, aikido, a way to reconcile all humans . . .

*plonk*

Kentokuseisei
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #63
akiy

Can people here please stay away from discussions of a personal nature? Thanks.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #64
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Heath Thompson wrote: View Post
[snip]
Tai Chi will help you in a number of ways - your posture will improve and so will your stability, your Aikido will become softer yet more powerful - which is great for when you get older. You will have more awareness of how the energy and power in your body is transferred through the earth and out through your arms, you will become more sensitive to your opponent and his/her intention, [snip]
H
I enjoyed your whole post, Heath, but found that this paragraph rang particularly true in my experience.

One caution I would add for Ahmed is that the external practices obviously differ, and you want to train so as to avoid confusion. For example, aikido footwork is more dynamic than typical taiji practice. One of the taiji tuishou/push-hands practices that can help bridge that is Da Lu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXFZsSq2qAQ
Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #65
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote: View Post
Ah, aikido, a way to reconcile all humans . . .

*plonk*
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #66
M. McPherson
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Can people here please stay away from discussions of a personal nature? Thanks.

-- Jun
Sorry, Jun - I thought we were, initially. This will be my last post on the thread.

"STFU"? Yikes! Check your pm box, Tom. I'll see your disinterest, and raise you some scorn and amusement...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #67
Esaemann

Jo,
"But my goal is not in the pushing, my goal is in the yielding.Which seems much more aiki than being able to launch a 200 pound guy across the room.A good yield leaves nothing to push on."

Another way I've put it (to my wife) is you can't push a string. Also, "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee.

What style (school) Tai Chi do you practice?

Eric
Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #68
Qatana

Hi Eric

I practice the Chen Man Ch'ing 37 Yang form. My teacher (and sensei) studied directly with Professor Chen and with Robert Smith.
I like the string analogy. Particularly as I am a pearl stringer by profession, this is a thing I know fundamentally!

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #69
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Murray McPherson wrote: View Post
Sorry, Jun - I thought we were, initially. This will be my last post on the thread.

"STFU"? Yikes! Check your pm box, Tom. I'll see your disinterest, and raise you some scorn and amusement...
I called your scorn and amusement, and played a PM of vitriol followed by a better-considered missive. I'm folding, with an apology to you and to any others detracted from the topic of this thread.

Cheers.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #70
Tomlad
Dojo: Tanworth in Arden

I like Thomas more than I like Murray
Old 06-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #71
Tomlad
Dojo: Tanworth in Arden

...on a serious note and back to the topic.

Don't practice Tai Chi if you are looking to improve your Aikido techniques or tai sabaki blah blah.

TC will make a subtle difference. I suggest you go to a class and see if you like it and do it for the sake of itself not for Aikido.

By the way -- I love you all really
Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #72
M. McPherson
United_States

Quote:
Heath Thompson wrote: View Post
I like Thomas more than I like Murray
I don't know if ego allows me to agree with you, but given the benefits of one-on-one communication, I can tell you I like Thomas. Also, that it's mutually agreed we both need to either get more sleep, or settle down with a gin and tonic in hand and breathe deeply. Hendrick's with a slice of cucumber suits me nicely.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!